1914: Glory's End / When Eagles Fight» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zones of Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Bambot
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the WEF and 1914 GE, as in other hex games, there are no Zones of Control? So I can freely outflank the enemy corps in close proximity, without risk and any enemy reaction. It is a great convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Bambrough wrote:
Why in the WEF and 1914 GE, as in other hex games, there are no Zones of Control? So I can freely outflank the enemy corps in close proximity, without risk and any enemy reaction. It is a great convenience.

Most of the wargames I play have no, or weak, zones of control. I really dislike strong ZOCS - it's very unnatural to have stacks of units every three hexes, instead of a unit in every hex forming a line, which is what a real front looks like.

Real commanders were concerned with keeping a line. You should be too. When real armies can't maintain a line they fall back until they have secure flanks.

In terms of game design, ZOCs mean these scales:

- unit size
- space per hex
- time

have been chosen in such a way that a unit would really be in more than one hex at a time, or would have time to react to enemy movement nearby and intercept it in the course of a turn.

I prefer games with a unit, space, and time scale such that units do not occupy more than one hex, and are not able to interfere in enemy movement in adjacent hexes. They are a lot more mobile and look more realistic (actual lines instead of stacks with spaces between them).

OCS is an example of a popular hex game system with very weak ZOCs that have little to no effect on movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth bearing in mind that ZOCs reflect things like tactical communication and mobility...for example, a picket reports enemy movement and triggers a response which interferes with that movement. Easy to imagine with WW2-era motorized, radio-equipped forces. But in the conflict(s) covered by these WW1 games, tactical communication is, at best, often horse-speed and mobility is largely walking-speed...in the time it takes our hypothetical picket to get word back of enemy movement and for the reaction force to arrive, the enemy movement is already well under way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.