Roads to Leningrad» Forums » General

Subject: Is Game Play Too Detailed and Time Consuming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gurien
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm thinking about getting Roads to Leningrad. I downloaded and read the latest living rules from GMT's website and while the rules are not overly complex, they do seem a bit involved. I read the review of the game posted here and the reviewer did not think the game system was too detailed or burdensome, but my reading of the rules seems to indicate otherwise. For example, the pre-combat and combat systems have several intricate steps that would appear to require a significant amount of time and attention. Is this true or, as is the case with most wargames, is it simply a matter of learning the system, after which play occurs at an reasonable speed? If it is the latter, how long is the learning curve for the game? The topic is of interest to me, but if the game play is too detailed and time consuming, it won't see much playing time. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Shafer
United States
Siloam Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No...

The learning curve is fairly smooth, but the playing curve, especially for the Russians, is a bit steeper. Play it to figure out the rules...figuring out the game is another matter. This game is very well worth learning.

VR/Chaplain Shafer, LT USN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a "mini" Con here in Louisville last weekend. Roads was there and so was its designer, Vance von Borrie. (sp?) He had it set up with an enlarged board and 1 inch counters mounted on posterboard thick foam. It looked really nice.

He had two different guys learning the game (they played each other and then one guy played Vance). I watched them a bit and overheard them and while they were certainly making many rules references, and had the designer helping them learn, they didn't seem to think it was overly complicated. Whatever actually went on, they appeared to have the gist of it down and enjoyed their games. (I guess it was about 2 games in the course of the day, probably five or six hours total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The games runs very smoothly once you grasp the rules. The rule book is thick, but not complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Wargamers often approach a new game system with pre-conceived ideas of what a good game is. This can get in the way of discovering the playability of a new game system.
Roads to Leningrad rocks! I've started to realize this, after playing the game a few times.
The key battle points move around every game!
Every game, the key village or road junction changes! Get into this game you will find yourself fighting for half a dozen dachas and loving it! And the village or battle focal point changes every game!
supply in 'Roads to Leningrad' is not nearly the restriction some players think. Momentary ( 2 turns ) non-disadvantageous lack of supply rules allow enough scope for most players to try almost every conceivable axis of advance. In this game it pays to watch your enemy, he may do anything!!!
gg cheers Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.