Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

I just made my frist game, and it was a lot of fun.

Two things made us wonder though. I'm sure people talked about it before, but we were wondering:

1. Why units in melee are eliminated immediately if shaken. A few tough moves got one player out, and we thought that this was really deadly compared to the general results we got on the damage Direct Fire chart.

2. Are machine guns really "fired" after just one attack ? I crossed the middle of the road with an individual, got fired, then I could move across with my entire squads without any response from the machine gun because it was fired. Did we do this right ?

thanks,
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moyer
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you did do everything right and you seem to have touched on two issues that some people have with the game.

Eliminating shaken units in melee may seem a little harsh, but I think the point is that shaken units are paniced and out of command and can basically be easily overcome by a diciplined squad. The key is to make sure that you keep units in reserve (don't take actions for them) so they can protect those units with opportunity fire if someone tries to charge their position.

The machine gun question ties into the fact that the game uses an impulse system for actions. The impulses are all roughly supposed to happen simultaneously. In the case you described, it might mean that both units ran across the road at approximitely the same time (perhaps with a slight delay) and the machinegun could only reliably fire at one of the units.

martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

thanks for the answers.

But then, does it make any difference that a given weapon is a machine gun instead of just any other weapon ? Isn't the fact that it can sustain fire on an area the real advantage of, say, MG42 on a personnal assault weapon ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Solipsist wrote:

thanks for the answers.

But then, does it make any difference that a given weapon is a machine gun instead of just any other weapon ? Isn't the fact that it can sustain fire on an area the real advantage of, say, MG42 on a personnal assault weapon ?

Yes. You are correct. This is one thing that LnL doesn't simulate very well. Other tactical wargames have rules that let defending machine gun units shoot multiple times. ASL has it's First Fire, Final Fire, Final Protective Fire rules (Not to mention Rate Of Fire). And TCS has Opportunity Fire.

Both rule sets allow units to, in unrealistic circumstances, fire a very large number of times, but they have a corrosponding rules weight, this runs to several pages of rules in TCS, and the Defensive Fire rules for ASL are probably longer than all of LnL's rules.

That's the price you pay for playing a simple system, it doesn't represent some aspects of cambat well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier revenu
France
urt
Pyrennees atlantiques
flag msg tools
designer
mb
LordStrabo wrote:
That's the price you pay for playing a simple system, it doesn't represent some aspects of cambat well.

My 2P : I don't agree. I see no realism issue here. It's just a designer's choice. Rules about residual fire (etc) are another choice. They are not more realistic to me. I never read about or saw a MG 42 fulling of bullets a 50m x 50m space (an hexe) during 2 to 4 minutes (a turn) without interruption, reloading, jamming or worst. The MG is rendered by their high firepower (equal or double than a normal squad) and by the fact that they are never halved. If you cover your MG well, it's a killing machine. But it's true that this point in the rules is very debated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.