Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Marvel: Legendary over 20 times and found it too Easy with any combination of the schemes/villains, even with the Dark City expansion. I don't think we ever lost against Apocalypse! Does the Encounters system solve the easiness of the Marvel: Legendary or not?

P.S. W played full co-op.

P.P.S. If it helps to determine what the right amount of difficulty for us: we have an over 70 percent win rate in Robinson :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit stunned that you never lost to apocalypse. But yes, legendary encounters should be more challenging. There are a handful of minor tweaks you can make to the difficulty also in case you find it too easy. For example, with only 2 players, I only use 1 drone card per objective deck. That may not mean much to you now, but when you play the game you will notice it's a very small change that tweaks the difficulty just enough to be perfect for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary seems to be designed around the expectation that players aren't cooperating fully. They will buy cards they want even if another player wants it "more" than they do, and they will play cards that harm other players if it helps themselves.
If you truly try to play Marvel cooperatively, I think the game is easier than intended.

Encounters solves this nicely by giving up the competitive aspects of the game altogether. It's truly designed as a pure coop game and balanced as such. There are some variants with player vs player but the core of the game is built around the idea that players are working together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
We've played Marvel: Legendary over 20 times and found it too Easy with any combination of the schemes/villains, even with the Dark City expansion. I don't think we ever lost against Apocalypse! Does the Encounters system solve the easiness of the Marvel: Legendary or not?

With how many players do you mostly play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary is not a co-op since there's one winner. Even if you toss that off and just have everyone trying to stop the mastermind and calling that a win... it's still not much of a co-op. You don't cooperate! Legendary Encounters changes that. You WILL cooperate with each other or die.

Answering your difficulty question is a bit trickier. As already mentioned, the game is really easy to tweak to get the difficulty as you like it. Playing with straight up normal rules, I find playing with four players to be just right for me. Five players is too much though and I tweak the game by using agendas then. No matter how many you play with, if you feel it's too easy you can have one player start off as an alien player and that will ratchet up the difficulty to insane levels (I NEVER play with the alien player cards myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Floating World wrote:

We played mostly with 3 players, but it was as easy when we played a couple of games with 3.

Trump wrote:
Marvel Legendary is not a co-op since there's one winner. Even if you toss that off and just have everyone trying to stop the mastermind and calling that a win... it's still not much of a co-op. You don't cooperate! Legendary Encounters changes that. You WILL cooperate with each other or die.

Answering your difficulty question is a bit trickier. As already mentioned, the game is really easy to tweak to get the difficulty as you like it. Playing with straight up normal rules, I find playing with four players to be just right for me. Five players is too much though and I tweak the game by using agendas then. No matter how many you play with, if you feel it's too easy you can have one player start off as an alien player and that will ratchet up the difficulty to insane levels (I NEVER play with the alien player cards myself).

We want a cooperative game. I don't like semi co-op and bought Marvel because Vasel said it was insanely difficult with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:
Floating World wrote:

We played mostly with 3 players, but it was as easy when we played a couple of games with 3.

I presume one of the 3s should be a different number?

Do note that the less players you have, the easier the game becomes. In general the Legendary games do not scale well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Floating World wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:
Floating World wrote:

I presume one of the 3s should be a different number?

Do note that the less players you have, the easier the game becomes. In general the Legendary games do not scale well.

Yes. :-) We play mostly with 2. I know it doesn't scale well, but I have no more players to play with. How difficult are 2 player games in Encounters, i.e. what's your win percentage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
Yes. :-) We play mostly with 2. I know it doesn't scale well, but I have no more players to play with. How difficult are 2 player games in Encounters, i.e. what's your win percentage?

I haven't played Encounters, only Marvel. Using standard rules Marvel shines at 4 or 5 players, but is way too easy at 2. I presume it is roughly the same for Encounters.

If you want a more difficult challenge, draw more villains each turn. And/or replace henchmen with villain groups. If the standard villain decks are too easy, make it harder. There's no reason not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:

The easy solution here is for you both to run two characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary was difficult in the sense that an unlucky string of cards early in the game could doom you, before you have had any sort of chance to build a deck up to the point to deal with it.

Other times, your deck would reach a point that nothing in the villain deck could pose a threat and you'd just breeze through the rest of the game.

Marvel Legendary was often lose fast, or not at all.

Encounters is a big improvement in this area. The Hive deck is stacked so that cards get more difficult as turns pass in the game. This means the tension remains throughout.

Early on, you face enemies that are appropriately matched to the kind of deck you will have in early turns, but there are still some nasty surprises like face huggers that can ruin your day.

When you reach the second and third part and the enemies suddenly get stronger, you really feel it. Everyone panics... You just barely started handling the enemies that were coming out, and now they are stronger. You often feel one step behind them. Maybe, if you play well, you feel you are one step ahead. Either way, the game will be more fun and tense than Marvel which often puts you ten steps behind or ten steps ahead, just at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have added that, in Marvel, you often don't even care if villains escape. Most of the time, it's hardly even a real penalty at all. You spend most of the game just building an engine that can attack the masterminds, then spend a few turns attacking him.

The villains and bystanders are largely just a punching bag you can hit on to get some points. If you aren't counting points, they are largely irrelevant.

In Legendary Encounters, you definitely cannot afford to just ignore enemies. To win the game, you will have to defeat practically every enemy card that gets drawn, and you will be dead before long if you try to put it all off until the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Marvel Legendary will receive an Encounters expansion -- no new characters, just a buttload (industry term) of Encounters for existing content.

Obviously, that's a pretty niche item, and maybe not practical, but what about taking a page from FFG's book and offer packs of Encounters as Print on Demand items?

I would buy every single one. I suspect I am not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I should have added that, in Marvel, you often don't even care if villains escape. Most of the time, it's hardly even a real penalty at all. You spend most of the game just building an engine that can attack the masterminds, then spend a few turns attacking him.

The villains and bystanders are largely just a punching bag you can hit on to get some points. If you aren't counting points, they are largely irrelevant.

In Legendary Encounters, you definitely cannot afford to just ignore enemies. To win the game, you will have to defeat practically every enemy card that gets drawn, and you will be dead before long if you try to put it all off until the end.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.