Subject: The Gun - Quick Draw vs Sniper Shot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Failor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching Watch It Played's "Choosing Hunter" video, I'm confused by how The Gun's abilities work.

The Quick Draw ability makes sense to me. It triggers on the Agent's turn if they are spotted by the Gun during their movement.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how/when the Sniper Shot works. The ability reads:

"After moving The Gun, if the agent is not visible, you may chose a direction (N, S, E, W). The Gun only has vision in that direction. If the agent is spotted by The Gun, the agent loses 1 HP."

So this ability is "on" during the hunter's turn vs. Quick Draw, which would be "on" during the agent's turn. If The Gun ends movement and cannot see the agent, The Gun can call a direction. I follow up to this point, but now what? The Gun still can't see the agent in the called direction, because if she could, she would have seen the agent prior to calling the direction. Does this mean that going forward, into the Agent's turn, that if the agent crosses The Gun's vision in the called direction then Sniper Shot triggers? Seems to me that is what it means, but then it seems easily avoidable for the agent. The agent knows the direction and could just make sure it's not spotted, right?

I know Rodney said Quick Draw and Sniper Shot couldn't both trigger at the same time. So if Sniper Shot is "on" with a called direction, then the agent can cross The Gun's field of vision in one of the non-called directions and be safe from Quick Draw. Am I correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The way it reads to me is that they are very similar abilities - Quick Draw lets you have a chance to hit in any direction at short range, and Sniper Shot lets you have a guarantee to hit in one direction at any range. The trigger for both of them is spotting the Agent, probably via the Last Seen token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understood it is yes you pick one if the two to have activated. So with sniper shot activated you only get vision one direction (aiming down the scope and waiting thematically) but a guaranteed damage if the agent crosses your line of sight. While activated the agent could stand next to you without being revealed as long as u didn't choose that direction. Quick draw gives you vision in all directions N, S, E, W and you get a chance to possibly his the agent at any distance (remember you keep rolling 6s and add to your range). It's very akin to "over watch" from warhammer 40k. Really looking forward to getting my preorder if this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rudyvalentine wrote:
After watching Watch It Played's "Choosing Hunter" video, I'm confused by how The Gun's abilities work.

The Quick Draw ability makes sense to me. It triggers on the Agent's turn if they are spotted by the Gun during their movement.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how/when the Sniper Shot works. The ability reads:

"After moving The Gun, if the agent is not visible, you may chose a direction (N, S, E, W). The Gun only has vision in that direction. If the agent is spotted by The Gun, the agent loses 1 HP."

So this ability is "on" during the hunter's turn vs. Quick Draw, which would be "on" during the agent's turn. If The Gun ends movement and cannot see the agent, The Gun can call a direction. I follow up to this point, but now what? The Gun still can't see the agent in the called direction, because if she could, she would have seen the agent prior to calling the direction. Does this mean that going forward, into the Agent's turn, that if the agent crosses The Gun's vision in the called direction then Sniper Shot triggers? Seems to me that is what it means, but then it seems easily avoidable for the agent. The agent knows the direction and could just make sure it's not spotted, right?

I know Rodney said Quick Draw and Sniper Shot couldn't both trigger at the same time. So if Sniper Shot is "on" with a called direction, then the agent can cross The Gun's field of vision in one of the non-called directions and be safe from Quick Draw. Am I correct?

Great question! Both Morgan and Sean are correct. The Quick Draw and Sniper Shot abilities are very similar. Quick Draw will allow you to shoot (with one attack die) at the agent when they move through The Gun's field of vision. With Sniper Shot, you are guarenteed a hit but your field of vision is limited to only one direction to simulate looking through her sniper scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Failor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:
Great question! Both Morgan and Sean are correct. The Quick Draw and Sniper Shot abilities are very similar. Quick Draw will allow you to shoot (with one attack die) at the agent when they move through The Gun's field of vision. With Sniper Shot, you are guarenteed a hit but your field of vision is limited to only one direction to simulate looking through her sniper scope.

Thanks for confirming this. Love the thematic sense this makes between the two similar abilities. I really can't wait to get my hands on this game. Looks like so much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.