Subject: Artillery Errata and Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Posting the ART errata here as it's lost in the original thread

8.1.3.2. Off-board artillery attack procedure.
Having activated one or two off-board artillery missions, place the artillery target marker in the target hex (or markers, if you wish to attack the same hex with two missions. The attacker declares if he is attempting a concentrated or dispersed bombardment.
Then he rolls 1d6 for each mission. German and British artillery missions subtract one from the die roll. If the target hex does not contain enemy units or is out of sighting range add 1 to the die roll.
• If the result is 1, 2 or 3, the attack occurs in the selected location.
• If the results is 4 or 5, the target marker drifts 1 hex; roll another d6 to determine in which direction (where 1 is the hex north of the objective, as the map arrow indicates, and so on clockwise). Example: If the target is A710 and a ‘5’ is rolled, the attack hits A611.
• If the result is a 6, the target marker drifts 2 hexes. Roll 1d6 to determine in which direction as above.
If at the end of the process the artillery target marker is in the LOS of the officer who is directing the mission, he may resolve the mission or, if he prefers, remove the marker and use it in a subsequent turn. If the marker is out of LOS, the attack is not resolved.
The method for resolving an off-board artillery attack is the same as for on-board artillery, as described in 8.3.

8.1.4 Procedure for indirect fire with on-board artillery.
This functions exactly like off-board artillery except:
• If the result is 1, 2, 3, or 4, the attack occurs in the selected location.
• If the results is 5 or 6, the target marker drifts 1 hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And a question-

After 8.1.4 (errata corrected above) rule book reads -
Quote:
If at the end of the process the artillery target marker is in the LOS of the officer who is directing the mission, he may resolve the mission or, if he prefers, remove the marker and use it in a subsequent turn. If the marker is out of LOS, the attack is lost.

Can someone clarify this? I'm not quit understanding why the fire mission can be called off at this stage, or why it's lost if it drifts out of LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Can someone clarify this? I'm not quit understanding why the fire mission can be called off at this stage,

Because the resulting hext target isn't what you want or need.
So you can cancell but don't lose the artillery mission and can be use it in a subsequent turn like the rules explain.

Quote:
or why it's lost if it drifts out of LOS.

This rule simulates the Forgard Observer(FO) calls for and adjust fire on enemy, if he (FO) can't see were are the artillery hits, the FO can cancell, the attack isn't resolved but you don't lose the artillery mission, can be use it in a subsequent turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Niko I get the idea now, appreciate it.

Being after the errata I wasn't sure if it was more errata or if I just wasn't seeing the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this point wasn't what we can call a "errata", the translator, Scott, make the error(after all his hard and great job) of forget add that point rule on the Word document I use to copy and paste to make the rule book layout.

What I mean the rule is OK, no error on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Rieger
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there's no "friendly artillery fire", correct? The FO can always cancel a mission that has drifted onto friendly troops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.