Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a previous thread about this but I didn't feel it really answered the question so, if you do not have enough LVTs for all the units due to arrive that turn can they be held back and landed on available LVTs the following turn, and so on, or do they HAVE to wade ashore from the reef that turn?

Obviously waiting one turn for the LVTs to return and reload is preferable to spending numerous turns slowly wading ashore under fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, if they are in the landing approach area they wait for the next available LVT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting, I read that rule in context of units which didn't make it to the beach. Now I'm not sure, but I don't think it makes much sense historically as units were waiting on the reef to get picked up.

This is a case where it would be nice if Mr. Butterfield could clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
Interesting, I read that rule in context of units which didn't make it to the beach. Now I'm not sure, but I don't think it makes much sense historically as units were waiting on the reef to get picked up.

Actually, if you review the history supplement that came with the game, there are numerous instances of landing craft getting stuck on the reef (off-map) and forcing marines and heavy equipment to wade ashore. It took Ryan and his crew almost an hour to wade ashore, and they lost 1/3 of their number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry guys, I forgot that part of the history, the plan was for the Amtracks to come back and pick them up, but the Amtracks weren't well enough armoured and suffered heavy losses. So the troops did indeed have to wade in.

Apologies, if I've steered anyone wrong, I totally missed this in the rules.

Here's a pretty nice documentary including Major Ryan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVoAS4F56E&t=1280
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barksdale
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
It breaks down like this: you HAVE to move toward the beach, two hexes, NO EXCEPTIONS, any units in the water per turn that were NOT transported by LVT. All units are placed in the (what I call) staging hexes, for the turn they enter play. You then put the units that you want to move in by LVT in the box in such a way as to remind you that those units will be going in by LVT. You don't move each piece in when you get enough LVTs. You HAVE to move them in no matter if you have LVTs left or not. The guys that don't have LVT space? They just have to suck it up and wade ashore, unfortunately. (I just read that by noon on D-Day, half of the LVTs had already been knocked out and by the end of the battle only 20/125 remind.

With twelve LVT pieces in the game, the way I play it, for record keeping purposes is that each LVT counter represents 14 LVTs total or 7 LVTs per step. That way, at the end of the game, if you want to keep casualty data, if you have, say 3 steps left, you can say that you have 21 LVTs left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of my games, I got that event that impedes the use of LVTs for 1 turn. And that turn I was getting the 2 HQs that were so desperately needed to get the troops moving and fighting.

They ended up having to wade all the way from the reef.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andre, I think in the rules, when that event comes out, you actually do get to push back the arrival of your units until next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
Andre, I think in the rules, when that event comes out, you actually do get to push back the arrival of your units until next turn.

DOH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.