Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it uncommon to have three unicorns. If I do, they are usually in a legion that I don't care much about, that is just for blocking or scoring a few points. If I get to fight something that I can kill with my unicorns, they have done their job.

Of course, if the stack has dragons or giants or colossi, then the unicorns are generally completely expendable, they are the pieces I want to lose first.

The only way I tend to end up with lots of unicorns in one stack is if I have one and then I roll 3, 3, 3, and keep taking more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:
my unicorns get blown to pieces

Nightmare fuel for little girls everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:
So, would you just take two unicorns and just aim for Dragons, Giants, and Colossi afterwards?

Or, more likely, kill something.

If I'm adding additional unicorns to a legion that already has a couple, it's increasing in strength more slowly than other legions that have behemoths and are looking for serpents, or griffons/wyverns and are looking for hydras, or warbears/minotaurs and are looking for giants/dragons.

The general rule of Titan is, if you have a legion that's going to increase in strength more slowly than other legions on the board, you want to fight things now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever even recruited one Unicorn. I don't find my way to Woods or Hills all that often, and if I have two Warbears or Minotaurs, I'm probably going to the inner ring to get a Giant (strictly better than the Unicorn) or a Dragon (what, I like dragons). The inner ring seems easier to reach than most Woods and Hills spaces, in my experience (perhaps my dice are just cursed). Half the Woods and Hills which exist drop you onto the outer path, so they're not ideal places to stop, and you need three basic creatures to recruit a Warbear/Minotaur in them, whereas you only need two basic creatures to recruit a Troll or Lion who then recruits another Troll or Lion, getting you the Warbear/Minotaurs that way. It just seems to work better in the games I've played before, maybe because player count is low, so the inner ring tends not to be blockaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cloutier
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
What is probably happening is that you are "sticking their necks out" in your battles. Unicorns are rather fast compared to most of bigger creatures, so I'm guessing that when you fight the unicorns are the first to engage.

If that is the case, you might modify your tactics a bit such that you make it a bit more difficult for your opponent to kill the unicorns and "sacrifice" a lesser unit instead.

You probably should be trying to get inner ring units rather than lots of unicorns.

Of course trading a couple of unicorns for 100+ more points isn't all that bad, assuming you win the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lundstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Unicorns are a peak unit. It's their job to die. And they're very good at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.