Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just completed our first game of Eldritch Horror (not even close to a victory...)

One player (who had played a game with another group) claimed that there's a limit on the number of assets your investigator can have.

The only thing we found on the subject was that you can't have duplicates of spells, and if you have several assets that increase the same skill you only get the best bonus.

So... is there a limit on the number of assets you can have, and we simply couldn't find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravazul wrote:
No limit.

Like the chap says, no limit; just watch out for those duplicates, and getting them/effects!

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The limit comes in during combat, you can't throw all the items you have in to a single cumulative combat modifier, one item per combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is misleading. You can never stack +X modifiers, whether in combat or not. There are no other restrictions, and certainly no combat-specific restrictions.

To reiterate, you can and usually will use multiple items in combat. Just don't stack their modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this seems like a decent place to ask then... What if I have 2 weapons that say I can reroll a die in combat? do those stack making me be able to reroll twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
this seems like a decent place to ask then... What if I have 2 weapons that say I can reroll a die in combat? do those stack making me be able to reroll twice?

Re-rolls stack, so you roll the one die until you get a success or run out of re-rolls.

It's anything with the PLUS bonus that doesn't stack, as BB says. There's plenty of examples in these forums about combat and what stacks if your thinking on a combination of cards your not sure of?

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
Just one small detail: MoM introduced a new mechanic in the blunderbuss where you only get the extra ability if you use the blunderbuss' bonus.
So if you decide to use a carbine rifle for a +3 bonus instead of the blunderbuss' +2 bonus you will not get to use the blunderbuss' semi-shotgun ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Pretty sure you can "use" the bonus and still have it overridden by non-stacking, but don't want to crack the box open to check.
(Example whip: you also use the +1 bonus when you use the whip, it just isn't applied to your roll if you also use a +2 pistol)

Edit: cracked open the box. there isnt even a "use" shenanigan involed, its just any old "gain +x" with an extra bit of text. Can thus be overridden as normal without negating the fact that you "gained" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the blunberbuss ability can still be used even if you use another strength bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amosboris wrote:
I think the blunberbuss ability can still be used even if you use another strength bonus.

The wording on the blunderbuss card states (emphasis mine):

"When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may gain +2 (Strength). If you do, each 6 you roll when resolving a (Strength) test during a Combat Encounter counts 2 successes and each 1 negates 1 success."

It seems clear to me that you only get to use the ability (6 counts as double) if you select to use the blunderbuss specific bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
So I decide to gain 2 strength. If I also have 5 strength going from a carbine, I still only get 5 to my roll, but i *still have gained +2*.

(The "may" wording might be confusing. I consider it reminder text to underline that part of the effect is detrimental. Every item is optional to use. Every item generally has all of its effects happen.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricedwlit wrote:
The wording on the blunderbuss card states (emphasis mine):

"When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may gain +2 (Strength). If you do, each 6 you roll when resolving a (Strength) test during a Combat Encounter counts 2 successes and each 1 negates 1 success."

It seems clear to me that you only get to use the ability (6 counts as double) if you select to use the blunderbuss specific bonus.

That's not the way we play this weapon.

The word "may" has been added to this weapon as it has a side effect of a roll of a 1 neglects 1 success, other than that, it works exactly like every other combination of weapons, e.g. having the .45 Auto gives the +3 Str & the Blunderbuss gives 2 successes on 6's and negates 1 success on a roll of a 1,

Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.