Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been watching years for this. I am really looking forward to seeing what and how they have reworked this game. Now we just need some sample scans of the map and pieces and such. Can't wait.

Oh, and I'm the first post!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Abad
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
Look at this: http://compassgames.com/index.php/preorders/fatal-alliances-...
And enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice difference from earlier Fatal Alliances games is this has its own maps. You don't need to own World in Flames to play this, and no fiddly map overlays to show 1914 borders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
For whatever reason, I wasn't interested in this game in the slightest until a publisher was announced. Now that the maps and the counter samples are up, I'm just giddy over it.

Needless to say, I've pre-ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral Lutjens
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Very much looking forward to this too, have been for a long time.

Having seen the maps from the site, and had a close look at the counters this will certainly be on a par with World in Flames Classic.

A couple of things worth noting;
The game is being advertised as 'every dreadnought', this is not strictly true as they are two-ship squadrons as per WiF Classic.
It is my hope that a Fatal Alliances version of Ships in Flames may happen later which does have every dreadnought and perhaps a few other neat things (like the USS Leviathan), and correct ship silhouettes.
Of course, for most people this is probably a good thing as the navies of particularly Great Britain and of course Germany were extremely large and having 'every dreadnought' and indeed every cruiser would make for a damn lot of counters. In reality of course many of these ships spent much of the war sitting in harbour (although no wargamer is likely to be so circumspect). So would it be worth having all those counters?

The US Entry system from WiF has been replicated again and it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the game, especially given it will usually last a fair bit longer than it does in WW2 of course.

The game with two European maps and the rest being in the 'World' scale is a good compromise given how little happened in the Pacific in WW1.
I hope the designer or someone from A-D-G or Compass Games will post some more images here, if people are interested I will ask his permission to do so.

The aircraft in particular look incredible, a lot of work has gone into them.

Well done to Andrew Rader for all of his work on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
One of the things that sold me on this was finally understanding exactly what it is. As I understand it, the previous two editions were "conversion kits" that turned various WIF editions into a WWI game.

I really wasn't interested in doing this at all. Once it became clear that it was a completely self-contained game, I was ready to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral Lutjens
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Quite right, the first iterations had map overlays although they did have all the counters plus the rules.
It was really only the maps that were not done.
I have Fatal Alliances II and the map overlay was only for central Europe, so a few other hexes were wrong in the Balkans, Eastern Turkey plus the Middle East (ME) of course.
Having said that the new FA:TGW will have the same countries in the ME, but of course they will be controlled by the Ottoman Empire.
This is to reflect the reality that they really were ruled as provinces (albeit not with the same borders).
The new game also has rules for the Russian Civil War, and many small countries that start the game as part of the larger empires could become independent as the game progresses. And yes there are counters for these countries (eg. Georgia, Ukraine, the Baltic states and many more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
trowallan wrote:
The new game also has rules for the Russian Civil War, and many small countries that start the game as part of the larger empires could become independent as the game progresses. And yes there are counters for these countries (eg. Georgia, Ukraine, the Baltic states and many more).

Well, this just keeps getting better!

What I'm really curious to see is what sort of action is portrayed in the Pacific. I expect an obvious rush to claim German colonial possesions, but the Japan/China situation and how they relate to the main war in Europe is still unclear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough we've just started a 3 player Fatal Alliance (FA I)
last month. 1 year into the war.
By the looks of the counters, FA III is closer to WiF FE than FA I.

FA I is a nice break from WiF FE or Deluxe.

Had to go to the way back machine to re-figure supply and HQ movement, Convoy attacks and 1d6 combat tables.

I will say it's tons easier and faster than any advanced version of WiF. I got so lost in the forrest of WiF chrome that I forgot how fast WiF COULD play, and what kindled my initial love of the game back in 1986.

Now just waiting for Days of Decision 1890, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb sit
msg tools
mb
I am disappointed there are no news about the game, not here, not in Consimworld, not in Compass games site, not in ADG site.
It is not a good promotional skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lehnen
United States
Bethalto
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would this compare to Balance of Powers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HOI3 Chaplain
United States
Enumclaw
Washington
flag msg tools
Matt, FA3 is the ww1 game you've been waiting for. I have them all, and this is the best by far. BoP can't hold a candle, although it was the best before FA3 IMHO. SoS is .. well, SoS. Weltkrieg is awesome operationally, but no naval and a very thin political model makes it inferior to FA3 strategically by an order of magnitude. LGG is horribly unbalanced - can't get past 1916. FA3 has it all. This is the definitive ww1 game. The WiF model is actually better used for ww1 than ww2. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
I've been looking for a good ww1 strategic game for a very long time
but I've never come across anything which could convince me. Now I heard about two new games, "Balance of Powers" and "Fatal Alliances III". Since I don't know anything about these two games, could you please write a bit why you like "Fatal Alliances III" so much and which points make it better than "BoP" or other ww1 strategic games? Thank you for you help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.