Fran Thorne
msg tools
Just played a game starting with the IIC variant submarine which made for a really enjoyable start to the game. Short patrols trying to juggle having a small amount of torpedos and no deck guns.

Just wondered if there are any other Submarine variants out there or if anyone knows if there are any plans for an extension to the hunters which might have more Submarines to play over a longer time scales ( although ive never got past 1942 !!)

Thanks
Frant101
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gandara
United States
CUSSETA
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that there is a Mediterranean Variant out in the works on 2 fronts. I was working with a fellow from Italy on the italian boats, but have not pursued. I am pretty sure Greg is working on them as well (I have had some conversations with him on the matter, but not sure how far it will go.

I really would like to go hunting in the 'bath tub'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Actually I've made quite a bit of progress on "Beneath the Med" - 10 Italian sub classes done, and a bit of rules etc.

Besides the Italian fellow who was helping, I've gotten some assistance from an awesome researcher (who happens to currently be at the Naval War College).

The Italian boats do have some issues, though. LOL.

Anyway, BTM is a bit far down the pipeline but I'll be hitting John up for it shortly. Currently we're busy wrapping up Silent Victory.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Bocaling
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey all,

Actually I've made quite a bit of progress on "Beneath the Med" - 10 Italian sub classes done, and a bit of rules etc.

Besides the Italian fellow who was helping, I've gotten some assistance from an awesome researcher (who happens to currently be at the Naval War College).

The Italian boats do have some issues, though. LOL.

Anyway, BTM is a bit far down the pipeline but I'll be hitting John up for it shortly. Currently we're busy wrapping up Silent Victory.

Greg

Great to hear the status about Silent Victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Thorne
msg tools
Thanks for the update , Beneath the Med sounds great and also great news on Silent Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
flag msg tools
frant101 wrote:
Just played a game starting with the IIC variant submarine which made for a really enjoyable start to the game. Short patrols trying to juggle having a small amount of torpedos and no deck guns.

Just wondered if there are any other Submarine variants out there or if anyone knows if there are any plans for an extension to the hunters which might have more Submarines to play over a longer time scales ( although ive never got past 1942 !!)

Thanks
Frant101

Did you make some changes to charts (and adjustments to rules) as well when you played Type IIC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Thorne
msg tools
I just used the adjustments and variants to crew , patrol lengths, weapons, detection and encounters that are specified on the Submarine Mat ( which can be found as a download from the Consim website ). Playing a sub with no deck guns made for some fun patrols !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
flag msg tools
frant101 wrote:
I just used the adjustments and variants to crew , patrol lengths, weapons, detection and encounters that are specified on the Submarine Mat ( which can be found as a download from the Consim website ). Playing a sub with no deck guns made for some fun patrols !!!

Ok, thanks.

As many "aces" started with Type II, that game variant could be interesting indeed. (Although in the manual the game designer explained why that type was left out.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Glad to hear that progress is being made with "Beneath the Med", I'm really looking forward to it. Patiently waiting for "Silent Victory" as I pre-ordered...............should be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

Personally I'd think the Type IIs would be nice for a C3i Magazine piece. I didn't really want to lose focus in the original game, but now that the dust has settled that might be a good way to put them out. Bug John Kranz about it

They would require a different set of patrol charts and encounters. I did the U-boat mats for them awhile back. With extremely limited tubes, they are a bit of a challenge....and possibly some people would find them boring. I don't know.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Definitely something we can consider for C3i, Greg. Let's discuss next week as I'm out on business travel this week. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Beery's Historical Mega Module has rules for play right up until the end of the war, with varying start dates and variable limited careers so commanders can get out before they're killed - and modified victory conditions to take into account shorter careers. It also includes rules for Type XXI U-boat, and I've included a Type XXI U-boat mat for those who want to try it out - it's at https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101632/type-xxi-u-boat-ma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey Ian,
Haven't actually looked at your mod yet but let me just say "thank you" for your work on it. Anyway; concerning your inclusion of the mat and rules for the type XXI U-boats, here is a story which may interest you.

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26000

Be sure to check out the first story "Type XXI".
Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.