Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear that land units may retreat before a battle by taking a step loss. We assumed this was not the case with naval and air units. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compare rules
5.7 Army Retreats,
6.4 Air Retreats and Regroups, and
7.4 Naval Retreats and Regroups.

Rule 5.7 punishes armies with a -1 step loss for retreating in Battle Round 1.

Rule 7.4 punishes naval units with a -1 step loss for retreating to an adjacent vacant sea. Presumably that penalty applies to retreats during any Battle Round, or after Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not retreat "before" battle, but during their turn to fire. If any unit retreats during the first round, they take a step loss. I know it's under "Army Retreats" but it applies to all units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
It is a bit of a necro-thread, but will an explicit statement to the below be part of the 1.2 rules? I was playing a game last weekend and we were confused about this, and I could not find the reference quickly.

Ron D wrote:
They do not retreat "before" battle, but during their turn to fire. If any unit retreats during the first round, they take a step loss. I know it's under "Army Retreats" but it applies to all units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
And a further question - can submarines retreat from combat on round one without loss or are they to subject to the first round loss rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
Has there ever been a definitive answer to this question?

taylorsmatthew wrote:
And a further question - can submarines retreat from combat on round one without loss or are they to subject to the first round loss rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.