Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of "...the dice game" and that's all well and good (or maybe it's not).

Do you guys like to see reimplemented versions of games?

I'd like to see more deckbuilding reimplementations of games. Dead of Winter: Deckbuilding Game, Android: Deckbuilding Game, etc. cool stuff. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel they split the fanbase - not different enough to warrant owning both, but different enough to make playing both or switching between them annoying. Roll for the Galaxy is sort of like this for me, I feel it'd have been better not pretending to be RftG (and let it live or die on its own).

You also have other sorts of reimplementations where an existing game is altered such that it is no longer compatible (Pandemic, Carcassone, Settlers, King of Tokyo are some I've run into) which will just make me never want to play the new versions/expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think of those as reimplementations as much as a totally new game with the same theme. When I think reimplementations, I think of games like Imperial Settlers, which reimplemented the mechanics of 51st State.

Either way, I'm for it. A lot of great games come out of both, and a lot of the time they're arguably better then the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerGoble1 wrote:
I don't really think of those as reimplementations as much as a totally new game with the same theme. When I think reimplementations, I think of games like Imperial Settlers, which reimplemented the mechanics of 51st State.

Either way, I'm for it. A lot of great games come out of both, and a lot of the time they're arguably better then the source.

I liken it to the Hollywod remake plague. Designers are running out of original ideas so the rehash old ones to keep cashflow going. They change just enough to make it "fresh" to those that played the original and "new" to draw in new players.

It may not be plausible to come up with new stuff all the time and it keeps the companies in business. I just don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
agentkuo wrote:
There's a lot of "...the dice game" and that's all well and good (or maybe it's not).

Do you guys like to see reimplemented versions of games?

I'd like to see more deckbuilding reimplementations of games. Dead of Winter: Deckbuilding Game, Android: Deckbuilding Game, etc. cool stuff. cool

I'm more prone to think of reimplementations of games as being something like the differences between Giganten and Black Gold, or McMulti and Crude: the oil game... OR Rex and Dune.

Basically games that are 95+% the same game... and usually they reopen an out-of-print game, which I'm all for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I want good games.

Keep reimplementing WWII and I will probably keep buying it . . .

or star wars everything. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't complain about too many options.

Pete (likes choices)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
TylerGoble1 wrote:

I liken it to the Hollywod remake plague. Designers are running out of original ideas so the rehash old ones to keep cashflow going. They change just enough to make it "fresh" to those that played the original and "new" to draw in new players.

It may not be plausible to come up with new stuff all the time and it keeps the companies in business. I just don't like it.

I wouldn't say it's like that. I haven't played it yet, but from what I hear Pandemic and Pandemic: The Cure are radically different games. They have the same theme and goal, they're bot co-ops, different character rolls, but other than that, they both stand on their own. Same with Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy.

And then with mechanic reimplementations, Imperial Settlers is generally seen as a big improvement to 51st State. Same with new editions of games like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or Cosmic Encounter.

Ideas are taken, reworked, and improved; or at least changed to make something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion at lunch with a coworker. It's a neat little design that I never would have taken notice of if it hadn't been reimplemented from Cold War: CIA vs KGB.

Small World was a great way to get Vinci's mechanics back into circulation.

It's also nice to be able to play Airlines Europe instead of having to find Airlines or Union Pacific.

I'm fine with reimplementations when they are well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that it's kind of a double edged sword for the publisher and player. If it's a game I've liked I might be more apt to look at, even if it is a style I might not necessarily like. On the flip side, and what more often happens, is that it is a game I never liked or thought about in it's first implementation and now gets an auto ignore just based on that association.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Seems like there are a few different meanings of "reimplementation" floating around here. My feelings towards most of them are basically the same - which is to say - Meh.

Using a proven brand name to market "Brand Name X: The Dice Game" is a blatant ploy, no doubt. However, as long as the dice game is an entertaining game in its own right, I don't really mind the marketing angle. If the dice game is not an entertaining game itself, I care even less and I simply won't buy it. There are droves of shitty games out there already, one more on the pile isn't going to get my feathers ruffled.

Reimplementing an entire (recently in print) game with a new theme is sometimes annoying, other times not. When I realized Descent had the same game engine as Doom, I was hoping for a legitimately tense horror game in a fantasy universe. That didn't happen, but Descent was still pretty epic in its own right, so that's cool. But again, since I tend to play before I buy whenever possible, I don't generally get caught out buying the same game twice unless I choose to do so on purpose. So, no harm, no foul.

Reimplementing an entire (long out of print) game with a new theme is generally awesome. If the original game was good enough to warrant this revival, I say more power to whomever pulls it off. Would I have preferred to see FFG reprint Dune as Dune? Sure, I would. But the way I hear it, they were making the best of a bad situation when they couldn't secure the Dune IP, so Rex is better than nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
There's a lot of "...the dice game" and ...
and in marketing terms, that is simply "brand extension" rather than reimplementation. It is meant to secure the attention of an already established audience. Whether or not there is a firm connection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
It is meant to secure the attention of an already established audience.

That is the key for most. Its a well tested strategy shown by video games. Board gaming is still a small market and so I think a lot is gained by using that kind of marketing; or what always works in the gamers of my family: "brought to you by the same creators of [fill-in-the-blank]"
I prefer my games to be as different as I can get them but a good amount of recycling game ideas I can see the benefit worth it. Some games just reuse a theme, that saves them time so their work can be spent on a mechanic rather than trying to find a new setting.
I think it would just be sill for a game publisher to ignore trends. When a person learns they like a type of game they try to stick with what they like. "well I like dice games so maybe I'll try..." not only leads to other dice games but can also lead them to the board game (though most of us here go the other way).

to the comments made about remaking a game rather than just using the theme:
It takes a lot of work to keep a game alive, manufacture costs are high in this industry unlike the movie industry. New board game players are born* so fast now compared to ten years ago.
The ability to keep a good game alive takes more than just it being a good game (usually) and bringing a game back from the dead is much harder than introducing a new one. My example is small world which came from a game that as far as I can tell is nearly identical (slight theme changes historical to fantasy I think). But when the original was out I had no way to hear about or see that game. I assume they found a more attractive way to make the game a few years later and ran with it rather than trying to push an old idea.
A remake of something does happen with the best intentions of making something better. Its sad that most the movie industry doesn't understand when its needed or not but in games it usually means they see a better way of doing something.
Theme overhauls to games are just a way to seem like a better choice to someone who like a similar flavor to their games. I have one friend who likes nearly every game I convince him to play but likes a space theme so much that it affects his game choices. I don't know if I can accurately portray how big that is. He is a programmer and all of his life choices are VERY logical. He considers it very silly that he would like all the games so much better in a space theme, latest example was splendor. his words "I know its just art and I'm here to play the mechanics" I was trying to convince him to buy some euro game but he just wouldn't pull the trigger due to the ones I had out were all "renaissance-y".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.