Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
With so many games out there vying for our attention, I was curious to know what thought process people use when making a purchase - especially when making the first purchase in a game series (Command and Colors for example).
When making a purchase of a game which is part of a pre-existing series, I:
Purchase the version whose theme holds the most interest for me
Purchase the first version, with an eye toward buying the entire series at some point
Purchase the latest version, hoping they've worked out any kinks in the system
      30 answers
Poll created by MrSleep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one is on sale?

Pete (is a simple animal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I haven't purchased any games in a mechanical series (unless Doom -> Descent counts) but I would probably just get the one whose theme interests me most. Case in point, I have Doom and Descent (I like both themes,) but I'm skipping Imperial Assault as I'm just not that big on Star Wars.

If we were talking about thematic series (ie: Tempest: Shared World,) though, then the answer would be that I'm more inclined to buy the whole series. Which I did, for Tempest. Although, knowing this about myself, I'm also much more cautious about buying into thematic series in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think theme is pretty important in deciding on a game that is part of a series, mainly because I've seen people overlook less than perfect rules or mechanics a lot more easily than they can gloss over a theme they don't enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of like option 3 - but without the blind hope. I'd check on bgg to see whether the later ones fix any (perceived) problems, and then make a decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.