Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those words appear several times in the material already available. Last time, in the reference card for landmarks. It's so ambigous

What does possibly mean? Just and example: does a unit on a landmark battle back or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bold unit may ignore 1 retreat flag and gets to battle back if it survives the attack and does not retreat. The standard purpose of landmarks seems to be to make troops occupying them bold and thus eligible for battling back under the above conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it may mean that troops which have the capability to battle back may do so. Also, there might be landmarks which specifically all a unit to battle back or there may be ones which prohibit a unit from battling back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Anyway, if they mean that the unit becomes bold, why don't they say just that? Still not quite sure you're right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The landmark card shown in the blog entry says

Quote:
Landmark's occupants may ignore a flag, and possibly battle back.

which is basically the definition of bold. I have no idea why they didn't stick with the keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may mean that some units may not have the innate capability to battle back, the landmark usses "possibly" to rule out those units without a battle back capability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesama wrote:
It may mean that some units may not have the innate capability to battle back, ...

That may be true as a special disadvantage for some units. But according to everything I have read on the blog and seen in the one demo game I played at Essen, "battle back" is not linked to units (as in CC:A) but to morale. And morale depends on position and unit type (those cowardly goblins...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah.

Man I cannot wait to get this game in my hot little hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
I have no idea why they didn't stick with the keyword.

Perhaps because there are different levels of "bold"-ness. For example, a dwarven unit that is properly supported by 2 friendly units and a landmark can ignore 3 retreat flags.

In a nutshell, if there are more flags than things than enbolden (racial ability, support, terrain, etc), you must retreat and therefore, don't get to battle back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes being able to ignore one (or more) flags and being Bold are one and the same thing.

The reason why we said "possibly" battle back is that, when you are attacked, even if you are Bold, you still need to survive the attack and not retreat in order to battle back.

And yes, the wording on the Landmarks card is not optimal, it would have been simpler/clearer to say:
Units occupying a Landmark are Bold.

Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.