War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
I must admit that i had only three games so far and i am by far no expert of this game. I like the game and its dense atmosphere but i have somehow the feeling that as this game hits the table more often it could be a bit repetitive.

The three times i played every time Minas Tirith fell and every time the Fellowship took the same way to Mordor. Sometimes successful and sometimes not. I somehow do not see any other outcome to this. Don't see how Minas Tirith could hold out, like in the book.

And what about the Dwarves, and the Free People of the far NW, any chance that they could somehow see action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way one gets stuck in ruts is by not trying new things. There are myriad strategies for this game, a quick persual of articles here on the Geek will bear this out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like anything, this greatly depends on the wide array of factors that make each game unique.

For instance, defending Minas Tirith is one of the easier sieges to deal with, generally, as the FP. Given Rohan's proximity and the number of Rohan/Gondor/General cards that could apply there, breaking a siege or liberating MT is one of the easier defenses to deal with. I've tended to win the Gondor-heavy campaigns as the FP -- just too much investment for the SP to get to "10" before Frodo => Mt. Doom.

The quickest path as the FP is the Moria->Lorien->MT route, so if the SP always goes for Gondor, I'd generally play that path as the FP as it would be "clear" all the way to Gondor, or maybe steering towards Morannon if MT is too dangerous.

So given an MT siege early, I can see why that would be followed up by the same Fellowship path. But based on my experience playing, repeat strategies are almost never making the most of the dice/cards dealt. For instance, if the SP had a handful of "Isengard" related cards, going for MT via Mordor is not efficient.

It's possibe each of your games have just favored the same strategies for the SP, but that seems unlikely.

Sorry about the "generality" of the feedback, but again it depends on the specifics. With more details about the games played, others might be able to point out possible counters and strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The common ways Minas Tirith holds are:

1) Free people get some combination of Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf the White to the fortress, then proceed to draw House of the Stewards, Guards of the Citadel, The Grey Company, and drown the Shadow legions in Sudden Strikes.

2) FP slowly build up an army in Pelargir (Or strider makes one quickly with Dead Men of Dunharrow), then they come around and lift the siege, often with Help Unlooked For.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.