Popular Tags: furniture [+] [View All]
Eric
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I had been looking for the perfect table on which to host our weekly board game nights. During our research we stumbled upon www.BoardGameTables.com, run by Chad DeShon (a fellow BGG user), and I realized he had just opened up shop a couple weeks prior.

We were looking to spend about $1500, and up to that point our options were limited. While the price slightly exceeded our original budget, we felt this was the perfect table for us. Poker tables sorta fit the bill, but compromises would have been necessary.

I sent Chad an email asking if he could point out why his tables might be better than a cheaper, similar option from a well-known poker table website. He hit some huge points that stuck with me; poker tables have wider armrests which cut down on usable table space, and since more of that kind of table is covered/dressed up, its more likely that the quality of wood underneath is lower (and thus cheaper). 2 days later we placed an order with Chad.

Tl;dr - We are absolutely in love with the table and can't be more thankful!

Specs

*Rectangle Table; Oak w/ Special Stain ($1397.00)
*Cover Topper – ($269.00)
*Black, narrow-knit speedcloth
*No cupholders/drawers

Shipping was a flat $199.00, which we needed because we are in New Mexico.

All said and done, including shipping, it rang up under $1900.

Dimensions

*Playing area: 60" x 35"
*External: 66" x 41"
*w/ Cover Topper: 68" x 43"

(Many other measurements are available on the site.)

Ordering/Shipping

We ordered our table on the evening of Saturday, Feb. 7th and the table was at my feet in the driveway by 1:30pm on Tuesday, March 3rd. That makes the total turnaround time about 23 days from hitting the enter key to signing on the dotted line. Chad notified me by email once the table was done, attached photos of it, and told me the freight company would be calling to set up a delivery window. Flashbacks of waiting for Comcast stormed in the back of my brain as I chose a 1p-4p slot on a Tuesday. I got off work early that day and was relieved to find that I barely had time to get comfortable before the truck showed up.

We did order shortly after the business officially opened, so this was probably a bit fast. However, it falls perfectly within the expectations Chad set with me personally: 2 weeks to craft and 1-2 weeks to ship.

Payment was handled securely by SendOwl, and I immediately received an order confirmation and receipt. I emailed Chad about our decision to purchase and he wrote back that very night to confirm that he saw the order come in.

Unpacking/Assembly

The table came very well packed in cardboard, foam and plastic wrap and was strapped down to a wooden pallet. I was able to cut it all apart and start putting it together very quickly. Every piece was well protected and there was no damage to be found.

I was able to carry each piece into the house myself, however this may not be possible for everyone. I am young (ish) and work out regularly, so the weight was not an issue for me. That said, the package weighed about 230 lbs altogether, and I'd recommend that most folks have a buddy to help with lifting and carrying.

The legs and corners were all clearly labeled and it was very easy to match and attach. Overall it took less than half an hour to have the table standing in our dining area.

Quality

The table is heavy, solid, finely-crafted and gorgeous. When we slide it across the linoleum it reverberates slightly with a deep, echoey bass that might imply a T-rex is around the corner.

Every part feels sturdy, like it could easily withstand a couple lifetimes, if cared for. The cover topper is lined on the inside with black felt, which helps protect the rails from wear/damage when sliding it into place.

The grain overall is beautiful, the stain is a lovely medium brown and the entire table is smooth in every way possible. It feels great to touch and lean on. The outside corners are rounded, which is helpful with a 2yo in the house, and the edges and inside corners are all straight and fit together perfectly.

The inset playing area is wonderful for so many reasons. You can extend the boundaries of your game to the extreme edge rather than leaving a couple of inches of "just in case" space on a flat table top. That makes 35" wide actually 35" wide. It helps keep dice from rolling off the sides. It provides a sort of "arena" experience as other players lean on the rails and look downward, letting them see and reach more of the board. In another thread it was mentioned that this feature would be great for legos... Can't wait to try that out!

Unfortunately, our old (inexpensive) chairs don't quite match... oh well. We'll figure that out another day...

The fabric is slick enough to send dealt cards sliding across the table with ease, but it's not... slippery. I had expected something like silk, but its a much wider fiber. It's certainly not burlap either, though, and it has a very nice feel. I'd recommend asking for samples if you want to be absolutely sure. As I understand it, speedcloth is teflon coated, which makes it liquid-resistant. I have not yet tested, but allegedly liquids tend to bead up/pool on the cloth rather than soak in.

The padding underneath the speedcloth is enough to add a subtle give when picking things up off of it, but is thin enough that table is very uniformly flat. This feature is almost the best thing about the table. It lets you pick up cards and chits with ease, and adds slight bounce to dice rolls.

Cards laying on the table stay in place just fine, and I found that Carcassonne tiles weren't any more at risk for disruption than the average wooden tabletop.

The speedcloth surface and mounting appear to be a single inlaid piece held in by gravity/friction. I spied a couple of holes beneath the table that I believe would be used to pop that piece out for cleaning/replacement. I haven't tried this yet, though, so I'm not positive.

Practicality

The playing area is plenty for our needs, and 35" wide is almost perfect. A few more inches might be nice, but this surface fits every single game we own, and likely 95% of games out there. The table seats 6 people perfectly, and getting 8 in wouldn't take much effort. I'd say that's the max, though.

Using it as a dining table during the week makes it efficient, especially when we can keep our Mice and Mystics campaign sitting just beneath, undisturbed.

The SO and I broke it in with Sushi Go and Lords of Waterdeep, she winning the former and I winning the latter

This past Friday we had a group of 6 people testing it out for the first time. We played several hours of One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Coup and Snake Oil, all of which are fairly small games. Of course we had plenty of room to spare for all of these, and everyone enjoyed the table immensely. The fabric/padding made it easy to pick up ONUW tiles silently, helping eliminate inevitable meta-gaming

We purchased cheap tv trays from Wal-mart to handle food/drink carrying duty and that worked well to keep the threat of game damage at bay. Had our budget been bigger, we probably would have sprung for the drawers and/or cupholders, but this works for us.

Unfortunately the night was over way too quickly and I completely forgot to get some shots of our arrangement. 6 People fit very comfortably, and the games we played were very small/light.

On Saturday, I decided to stage a few other games I own, for illustrative purposes. If there are any games in my collection you'd like to see laid out, I'd be happy to update this post with more photos.

7 Wonders (7 players)

Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary Ed. (5 players)

Dead of Winter (5 players)

Mice and Mystics (2 player campaign we began last week)

Conclusion

Overall, we love the table. It's an expensive item, relatively speaking, but it fills a unique role for us in our lives as we host weekly game nights for our friends and family. We currently live in a small house, so we were concerned about it being too big for now, and then too small when we get a bigger place. Fortunately it fits perfectly (barely) in our current dining area, and it should have no problem dominating its own dedicated room someday.

It's large enough to play every game we own, and most likely every game we plan to own in the future. I realize it may be restrictive for groups who like to play Arkham with every expansion, or TI:3, but this table isn't trying to be everything to everyone. It strives to serve the majority of a board gamers' needs, and succeeds fantastically. It handles a sweet-spot range of players with style, beauty, comfort and practicality.

Chad was amazing to work with, and his customer service was topnotch. He was consistently in contact with us about our table, and answered all of our questions quickly. Great guy behind a great fledgling company and I truly hope that he continues to find success! Below is his BGG username.

Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are looking for a fantastic gaming/dining table that will be crafted with fine precision, let this be at the top of your list. For what we found to be a very reasonable price, the table is extremely high quality. It is beautiful and fits nicely in a small space and is able to pulled out to seat 6, or even 8 dinner guests.

The game component is easily hidden and all that is visible is a gorgeous table that makes any room look elegant. We are proud to have guests for dinner on the table and then convert it into a great game space as the night progresses.

It sits in dining-mode looking pretty and unassuming, never betraying its secret just beneath. And in gaming-mode it is comfortable and inviting, easily facilitating maximum enjoyment of our beloved hobby. This is a table we'd call heirloom quality, and it may just outlive us... We anticipate it holding up to use and abuse over many years of gaming to come!

P.S. Just a couple of weeks ago, another couple posted their review of the same table, which can be found below. I borrowed some of their review layout to stay somewhat consistent

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1326034/boardgametablescom-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Quicho
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up. Congrats on the sweet table! Looking forward to my hexagon table from BoardGameTables.com!

EDIT:
Finally wrote up a review for our hexagon table! Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W T
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering have you started a game, put the topper on and later on continue the game? If so which games did you play. This is very important to my wife and I, as we have two kids. Sometimes we are not allowed to finish our game but would love to cover it and continue it later when the kids are asleep. TIA

Sorry English is my third language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
could you please tell me how well dexterity games work out on the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.