Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Just wanted everyone to know that a new online store is alive and running.

www.chumpmonkeygames.com

We're running a November special on .99 cent shipping for items under 5 lbs to US customers only.

No international shipping (except Canada, but no specials for Canadian shipping right now. Sorry!) at this point until we get the US side of things up and running (smoothly). My inventory is a little short right now but it's growing

Feel free to flame/encourage/buy/price compare, etc. We are monkey ninjas. Nothing will sway us, except to provide good items at good prices. ninja

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I reading your site correctly, do you only have 20 titles available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Am I reading your site correctly, do you only have 20 titles available?

As of right now - yes. I know it's pretty sorry and I'm working on adding more products as I get time (which is slim by balancing my other company. hehe).

By the end of the month I'm hoping to have a good number of additional games listed.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20 titles, 7 of which are Carcassonne. In fact, there are only 11 unique games there, if you don't count expansions.

High prices, mediocre shipping deals, and terrible selection. 99 cent shipping on a single game looks like it'd be a decent deal, though, but other than that, I see no reason to use CMG. Plus, determining the cut-off by weight? That means I need to know how much each game weighs. Too bad the site doesn't actually tell me how much my order weighs, much less how much each individual game weighs. It does seem to have some cut-off for raising the shipping price, though - if I order 30 copies of Ticket To Ride, it wants to charge me $10 instead of $1.

Me? I'll stick with my FLGS. But even if I was ordering online, I'd go with one of the larger retailers. They have better selection and better prices.

I wish you luck, Allen, but I think you may be underestimating what it takes to make it in this market. If you're not better at *something* than the next guy, you have nothing. "Service" won't cut it since a) many online retailers already provide excellent service and b) many game purchasers don't really care, so long as they get their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Advertising Oasis for over twice the price it was on Tanga last week does not seem a wise move. You should highlight a different game, especially if marketing here, to the Tangafied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to jump on the balloon-bursting bandwagon, but ... you list the MSRP of Settlers of Catan for $30 (which I think is correct), but note that you'll sell it to us for $33.95. That doesn't exactly get me all excited to start placing an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Not too friendly comments here. He is just starting his business, cut him just a little slack. He stated his inventory was small, but he will add more. He'll get better at what he is doing if you help him, not slam him.

You go monkey boy!

If wieght guessing seems to be a problem, maybe post the weights next to the games you sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven...that says $38.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
Wow. Not too friendly comments here. He is just starting his business, cut him just a little slack. He stated his inventory was small, but he will add more. He'll get better at what he is doing if you help him, not slam him.

I didn't read any of the above comments as a slam on his business. Rather, they merely point out that he probably needs to rethink his business model rather quickly if he is not going to end up deeply in debt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers is correct at $38. So no wrong pricing issues there. I'm aware of the weight issue and am trying to figure out a best way to solve that problem. I do have all game weights as I weigh them when I get them in stock and keep track of it that way.

So, look for some improvements along that line as well.

Gotta start somewhere and right now my budget is pretty low-key and I'm using revenue/profits to grow the store and not debt. My vision is long-term and this is just one phase of it. I already own another 2 businesses (including a distribution company and a Yahoo! store) so I'm fully aware of what is needed to compete on the web.

The board gaming segment is very different and I'm doing some experimentation with this store and some ideas that I have. Just wanted to share it with those that come here.

The Oasis thing. I'm not worried about it because you can't get it for the cheap price anymore and it's in limited supply from most distributors right now.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone

~Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncarlton wrote:
hughthehand wrote:

I didn't read any of the above comments as a slam on his business. Rather, they merely point out that he probably needs to rethink his business model rather quickly if he is not going to end up deeply in debt.

Saw this as I was posting my reply. You are right about the debt issue. That's why things are quite low key. So far there is no debt in this store and I'm planning on keeping it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
Steven...that says $38.

Thanks for the correction. I had cross-checked on another site, but they, too, were using the strike-out over the 38, which looks a heck of a lot like 30 with that line through it. Sorry about that. Regarding my earlier post ... never mind.

Who's the new guy? I like him, but I miss Earl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
hughthehand wrote:
Steven...that says $38.

Thanks for the correction. I had cross-checked on another site, but they, too, were using the strike-out over the 38, which looks a heck of a lot like 30 with that line through it. Sorry about that. Regarding my earlier post ... never mind.

Who's the new guy? I like him, but I miss Earl.

That would be Weird Al in nerdy(er) form in the video White and Nerdy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh of course. I thought he looked familiar but I couldn't place him. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:

You go monkey boy!

If wieght guessing seems to be a problem, maybe post the weights next to the games you sell.

With their convoluted grand-opening game-weight deal, the Chump Monkey Games store seems aptly named. After all, I'd feel like a chump monkey indeed if I fell for such a notion.

Moreover, Hughthehand, if he actually posted the games' actual weights, that would make him accountable up front for acknowledging which games are supposedly 99 cents and thereby leave fewer people feeling like chump monkeys (remorseful buyers) afterwards.

So go figure, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You and your damn logic! I was just trying to stay positive. I concur, but again he is just starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousing over the tabs on the right causes them to go bright red and the text dissapears.

Not a good design choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgoewert wrote:
Mousing over the tabs on the right causes them to go bright red and the text dissapears.

Not a good design choice.

Aye, it's an IE6 issue. I've noticed that along with a couple of IE things. Hope to get that fixed asap.

I did do some coding and now all product weights are displayed by the games and when you add items to your cart it even shows what your total weight is. So I'm working on it!

Now to just get some more inventory...

~Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.