Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this question to a few other forums including the one at Columbia Games, but I never got a response. So, I'll try here.

Suppose you have blocks from three or more different players in a hex. Also, suppose none of the players are allied with each other. Which player is the defender? Is it the first player to enter the hex? Who shoots second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I intended to answer this on CG's forum, but forgot. I'll copy this there for completeness.

The sidebar on page 6 regarding Multi-Player Alliances has the part of the answer:

"If another player joins a battle he must declare whether he is supporting the Attacker or the Defender and may not exceed the combined limit of six units." (That should be four units if you are playing with the 1.6 rules, but that line didn't get updated.)

Thus, there will only ever be two sides during a battle.

Whoever was in the hex first is the Defender. If the next player to move in is not an Ally, then they are the Attacker. If a third unallied player wishes to enter the battle hex, they must immediately declare whether they wish to join the Attacker or the Defender. In doing so, they form an Alliance (if temporary) and are now limited to the hexside and stacking limits left unused by that player. If the allied Defender or Attacker refuses the Alliance or has no more stacking available, the third player may not enter the battle hex.

The rules mention that an Ally may switch sides in the midst of battle, but give no guidelines beyond that. I would suggest that such a switch is only allowed between combat rounds. Also unaddressed is what happens if an Alliance is broken after all battles are completed and units from two formerly allied teams share a hex. I would say that combat begins immediately with the team that ended the Alliance as Attacker. (Although it could be argued that unexpected trechery should give the traitor first strike, this way makes it costly to abruptly end an Alliance. An exception might be made in which the traitor is Defender if such a battle erupts in his own cities.)

In any case, the rules for more than two teams could certainly use some refinement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.