Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Help this newcomer! An expansion analysis. What is required? High value? Fluff? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have played Myth once with a friend and enjoyed it. But I need to understand what comes in the base retail box and what expansions people consider required (for whatever reason) to complete the game, then which ones are high value, and lastly which ones are nice but low value or fluff.

Those that have played and/or are familiar can you let me know your thoughts? I would like to understand what I would be getting into here if I take the plunge.

The basic questions for each category listed below is: Does the base game have enough? Does buying more sincerely increase replayability? And how many of this category would you suggest if any?

(1) Boss Expansions
(a) Bones, (b) IA, (c) Syclopt, (d) Orcneas, (e) Rat King

(2) Captain Expansions
(a) Muckers, (b) Stalkers, (c) Soulless, (d) IAO, (e) Rath, (f) Sychleech

(3) Minion Expansions
(a) Grubbers, (b) Crawlers, (c) Sycline, (d) Tailless, (e) Shamblers, (f) Iathy

(4) Supplemental Tile

(5) Realm Tile
Bonus Question: How is this different than the supplemental tiles?

(6) Lairs and Traps
Bonus Question: Replaces tokens, right? Do I need more than 6?

(7) Agents of Darkness

(8) Quest Decks

(9) Item Decks

There is so much here. I need help wading through it all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need more of the monsters from the base game. More monster types creates a lot of variation in the gameplay so I would yes, if you like the game, more monsters is better. Feel free to check out my copy on the Geek Market for everything from a KS 1 pledge with addons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I will voice my opinions on your general three questions:

1)Does the base game have enough? Yes and no, it really depends on how often you play it. Since its just you and a friend, you can play for a while then always switch characters when you get bored with the old ones. I think the base game provides some good things on its own b.ut after awhile I really enjoyed it and sought to expand.

2)Does buying more increase replayability? I'm going to answer this as a no, but instead say it adds variety (which may affect replayability). More minions/captains/bosses will change the experience when you play as they all work differently.

3)What would I recommend for purchase? Well, if you do enjoy it and what to expand the game I would first suggest the boss Orcneas. You already have the minions and captains to go with him so he makes a lot of sense and a different Darkness deck is a nice bonus. After than, I'd go with the Undead faction (Shamblers, Souless, and Bones) as they make Yaradu more useful.

Items 4-6 are more for appearance than anything and aren't necessary(though the lairs do look cool). Agents of Darkness are ok, but I'd pick more minions and such over them. The Quest and Item expansions will add some variety as well and are nice if you get tired of seeing the same cards in the base set after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Hi,

I have played Myth once with a friend and enjoyed it. But I need to understand what comes in the base retail box and what expansions people consider required (for whatever reason) to complete the game, then which ones are high value, and lastly which ones are nice but low value or fluff.

Those that have played and/or are familiar can you let me know your thoughts? I would like to understand what I would be getting into here if I take the plunge.

The basic questions for each category listed below is: Does the base game have enough? Does buying more sincerely increase replayability? And how many of this category would you suggest if any?

(1) Boss Expansions

(2) Captain Expansions

(3) Minion Expansions

(4) Supplemental Tile

(5) Realm Tile
Bonus Question: How is this different than the supplemental tiles?

(6) Lairs and Traps
Bonus Question: Replaces tokens, right? Do I need more than 6?

(7) Agents of Darkness

(8) Quest Decks

(9) Item Decks

There is so much here. I need help wading through it all!

1: Each boss changes the way that minions activate, and obviously provides a new challenge in fighting against the boss themselves. All are new material not found in the base game. I'd recommend buying after you've beaten the base game boss and want a new challenge. Buy them in order of difficulty (can be found on their cards), and specifically buying them with their associated minions/captains from their race. The more difficult bosses might not even be beatable by base game heroes, so I wouldn't rush out to buy them all before the Journeyman expansions/Kickstarter are released.

2a, 2b, 3a, 3b: The base game contains muckers, stalkers, grubbers and crawlers. Only buy if you hate running out of minis. They will add nothing gameplay wise.

2 and 3 (others): Will provide the most amount of variation in enemy challenge and behavior. Beating up minions and captains is the bread and butter of Myth. I'd go in order of difficulty again: start with Soulless and Shamblers, then Tailless/rath, then iathi/iao, then sycline/sychleech.

4 and 5: tiles are mostly cosmetic.

6: Replace tokens. Purely cosmetic. You only need 1 of each trap. Some people like having 2 of each lair

7: Provide a new enemy challenge to face, but you won't notice them as much as minions/captains, or probably even as much as bosses. They only show up every so often. I don't have them, so I can't comment on them too much though.

8: Are nice to have to continue quest chains, but per the new kickstarter, quests are getting overhauled, so I wouldn't buy the current ones until we find out what the deal is with the revamp.

9: Will provide a lot of variation in equipment and treasure drops, and I'd definitely recommend having these. However, these have been errata'd, so I wouldn't buy them in their current form. I think the patched cards available for download may contain all of the cards though. You could maybe PnP them for now until the new cards come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
(1) Boss Expansions

Orcneas is a manageable Boss for starting Heroes and his Darkness Deck is an interesting variation on the one in the Basic Set. Bones is a bit tougher, but still appropriate at "Novice" level and, again, his Deck is interesting.

The other Bosses are a bit tough for the Novice game - especially Rat King - and if you have Bones and Orcneas' Decks then you have most of the unusual Spawns and Darkness Events covered.

jgortner wrote:
(2) Captain Expansions

You get Muckers and Stalkers with the Basic Set. Two more of one type would let you run Slaughterfield without needing bottletop place-holders.

Soulless are important to make full use of Yardu's special power and (if you own them) the special power of Shamblers.

Iao and Sycleech are a bit "meh" but the Rath are nice - their double shot ranged crossbow attacks pose a new type of problem for Heroes, as does their high Movement and quirky Priorities.

jgortner wrote:
(3) Minion Expansions

You get Grubbers and Crawlers with the base set, but more would let you field two Lairs.

Shamblers are tied in with Soulless because they can't resurrect without their Captains and Soulless are tied in with Yardu, who can summon them. You might consider investing in a complete Undead bundle (but I notice the new KS is offering that to Hero Pledges).

Edit: missed this bit: Tailless are a very different sort of opponent, since they target _lowest_ Threat and can hit at range. They definitely add variation when set-ups get stale and make great Hunting Packs. Iathi are tough minions that might be worth investing in once your Heroes are so kitted out in Blue that the old Grubbers and Crawlers don't provide much of a challenge any more.

jgortner wrote:
(4) Supplemental Tile

(5) Realm Tile

Don't really get this. You mean the expansion pack of realm tiles, the one with a docks tile? Are there others?

The extra tiles are inessential from a tactical viewpoint, but they do look pretty. There are too many forest trails and forest clearings, not enough caves and dungeons.

jgortner wrote:
(6) Lairs and Traps

You mean the sculpted lairs and traps? Completely inessential, I'd say. I don't feel the sculpted Lairs even look good. The traps are nice, I guess: It's good to have an Avatar of Winter miniature. If you use the Trickster, they double up nicely as his Chop-a-Whirl and Big-Badda-Boom traps.

jgortner wrote:
(7) Agents of Darkness

So far, we've not been given enough information about what exactly you're supposed to do with these. If you get Donnchadh as part of the original KS Exclusive, then in the Exclusive Quests there's a Story that introduces him. I've uploaded a bunch of Chapter Quests about him in the Files section. The other Agents seem to be an aspect of the game that the designers never got round to developing and may have ditched - the new Commanders in Journeyman seem to fill the role that Agents occupy as wildcard villains linked to a wider plot arc.

jgortner wrote:
(8) Quest Decks

I think Quest Deck 1 rounds out the rather limited selection in the Basic Set into something broad enough to surprise you. However, the new Myth Journeyman seems to be moving away from Quest Cards or else radically reinterpreting them, so best to hold fire and see what the designers have in mind.

jgortner wrote:
(9) Item Decks

Again, I think Item Deck 1 adds much more surprise and variation to the Basic Set, which can get stale quite quickly. I'm not sure how the Journeyman KS will affect the status (and wording) of those Items, but I'd say they're more useful than the extra Quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:

jgortner wrote:
(4) Supplemental Tile

(5) Realm Tile

Don't really get this. You mean the expansion pack of realm tiles, the one with a docks tile? Are there others?

There was also a set of 6x6 transition tiles and the set of five Slaughterfield tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what are some examples of what I would have to buy to play slaughter field without proxies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd need 16 minions of the same race, and 4 captains of the same race.

The core set comes with 15 minions and 2 captains of each race.

A very easy solution would be to just use 1 minion of the other race, then all 4 of your core set Captains (possibly ignoring the extra AP that should cause).

Or, to directly answer your question, you would buy a 10-pack of minions and a captain pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, research if you'd prefer modules or adventures.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1334497/adventure-modules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryo Akashi

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
You'd need 16 minions of the same race, and 4 captains of the same race.

The core set comes with 15 minions and 2 captains of each race.

The numbers for Slaughterfield in Myth2 has changed.

The models provided in the base game is enough to handle Slaughterfield up to wave 7, if the players clears the board for each wave.

There is no situation of 16 minions (previous Wave 2) or 4 captains (previous Wave 3) appearing at the beginning of a wave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.