Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May this card be used to pass through >1 system? FREX, if a player has Type IV drive (or plays Flank Speed), which thereby allows them to move 3 systems, may that fleet pass through 2 occupied systems in one turn using In the Silence of Space?
My reading is 'no' since the card says "a system."
If you agree with my interpretation, may that player then play 2 identical In the Silence of Space cards in the same action that would allow this?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ermd wrote:
May this card be used to pass through >1 system? FREX, if a player has Type IV drive (or plays Flank Speed), which thereby allows them to move 3 systems, may that fleet pass through 2 occupied systems in one turn using In the Silence of Space?
My reading is 'no' since the card says "a system."

I would actually say YES - the card is targeted on a fleet, not a specific system. I think it says "a system" in the generic sense; ie, meaning "applicable to all such systems". I say this because it doesn't seem to explicitely say "only one system" or "a single system". But that's just how I read it.

Quote:
If you agree with my interpretation, may that player then play 2 identical In the Silence of Space cards in the same action that would allow this?

No. Even if my interpretation is incorrect, and yours is correct (which is entirely possible), the rules explicitely state, on page 23:
"A player may never play two identical Action Cards for the same situation and/or on the same entity during one round."
Thus, you can't use Silence of Space to affect the same fleet for the same move more than once.

The and/or does make it somewhat ambiguous, though, as to whether you could use it on two separate fleets. I would personally say "yes, you can", because to me, the meaning of the and/or is because some cards don't don't involve "entities", but just "situations". This card affects an "entity", and so I would say that the rule in this case is meant to allow you to affect multiple fleets separately.

Just my opinion of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we read it to be a single system. I'd have to dig out the card to read the text to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's how we played. It's nasty enough with just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played one game of this before we noticed that your fleet has to move to an empty system on the other side. Now that was ridiculous. I would interpret it that you can move through 2 occupied systems with flank speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, unless the draft for the new FAQ changes between now and when it is "finalized" and posted, it looks like Silence of Space will only allow you to move through ONE system with an enemy fleet

Not that it's completely bad that it'll work this way - otherwise, that card would be even more potent than it already is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMO it makes the card too weak by requiring the fleet must only finish in an empty system. What's the point, it's only use is defensive??? To me the card should be like a one time use of Light Wave Deflector and I think both should be able to finish in an enemy system. Otherwise, why bother pursuing a useless technology with 5 prereqs. I think we'll house rule this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
IMO it makes the card too weak by requiring the fleet must only finish in an empty system. What's the point, it's only use is defensive??? To me the card should be like a one time use of Light Wave Deflector and I think both should be able to finish in an enemy system. Otherwise, why bother pursuing a useless technology with 5 prereqs. I think we'll house rule this one.

I disagree that it's quite THAT useless. In many games, an overconfident player often doesn't put any ships on the non-frontline systems. Using Silence of Space, you can bypass the front line and make a direct attack on an unprotected planet

The target system doesn't need to be EMPTY, it just can't have any SHIPS (there's a subtle, but important difference )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
To me the card should be like a one time use of Light Wave Deflector and I think both should be able to finish in an enemy system.

Both DO allow you to finish in an enemy system. The only difference is (as Sigmazero said) that In the silence of space requires the enemy system to have no enemy ships. It can have a ton of enemy GF's and PDS's and Spacedocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.