Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perusing the English rules and also the English guide for playing the game on BSW (haven't played yet) and thought of a question: The rules state that if you get more than five Craftsman and decide to replace any of the starting Craftsmen, there is a penalty that you don't get to do certain things (use the Maurer/Bricklayer, buy Wood, sell Stone) but I notice for the Carpenter and Mortar Mixer there are improved Craftsmen available in Turn One. My question is, if you get one of these improved Craftsmen and later need to discard a Craftsman, can you then discard the starting one and not suffer the penalty since you still have a Craftsman with the same title or is the penalty specifically tied to discarding the starting Craftsmen and no others?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn John, that is a good question. I've played it online about 10 times now, and I've assumed that they are indeed the same, so you would NOT get the penalty.

So, my answer for now is that a better Carpenter, is still a Carpenter. I will get back to you on this to let you know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replace the initial Mörtelmischer (mortar mixer) and Schreiner (carpenter) with the ones available in the first round. There is not a replacement for the Steinmetz (stone cutter). You'll notice these cards have an exlamation point at the end of the name -- it took me a couple games to notice that and figure out why it was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure from the last post what the correct answer to my original question is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Noll
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have added "without suffering the penalty" to the end of that first sentence. As an example, if you acquire the Schreiner (Carpenter) in the first round, you can then drop the Schreiner you started with and will still be able to buy wood at the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Muir
United States
New Braunfels
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will notice in BSW that the cards have an exclaimation mark if they have this effect "!". Yes the secondary carpenter and stone cutter do work. If you check in the small print in the ruules this is stated.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jeremy. Love your avatar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.