Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: That first XP point rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wanted to get the communities thoughts on how to spend that first XP point you get after Aftermath. I have been playing 4 separate campaigns (2 as Rebel and 2 as Imperial) and I thought it would be a good idea to see how everyone else spent theirs, or not, my thoughts are below. Are yours different?

Poll
1. Diala
Force Adept
Force Throw
Save for later
2. Gideon
Military Efficiency
Called Shot
Save for later
3. Fenn
Tactical Movement
Take Cover
Save for later
4. Jyn
Quick as a Whip
Smuggler’s Luck
Save for later
5. Mak
Supply Network
Disengage
Save for later
6. Gaarkhan
Wookiee Loyalty
Wookiee Fortitude
Save for later
7. Military Might
Riot Grenades
Combat Medic
Save for later
8. Technological Superiority
Jetpacks
Technical Support
Save for later
9. Subversive Tactics
Surgical Strike
Savage Weaponry
Save for later
      85 answers
Poll created by Deffly

For Diala it’s a tough choice but ultimately I have to go for Force Adept, the ability to reroll one dice from any Rebel attack or Attribute test, with no LOS needed, is huge. It also only costs a strain and you do not have to exhaust the card so it can be used multiple times each round (as long as you have the endurance, one instance per attack/test). On top of that you can exhaust the card to gain a blue dice for a Strength or Tech test (Diala’s weakest), which you can then spend a strain to reroll one dice is just icing on the cake. Her strength test goes from a 66.7% chance of success to a 77.8% and her Tech goes from 33.3% up to 55.6%, before taking into account the reroll.

For Gideon I'm always tempted to save up for Air of Command (2pts) as it increases his health and improved his command ability. In all games he takes part in he is always the first to be focused down by the Imperial player so giving him extra health and also giving him space to use his command ability gives you the ability to play it safer.

Fenn is simple, Tactical Movement. 2 free movement points very turn, for you or an ally is always useful. Take Cover is also a useful ability but in IA with most missions being timed this helps you achieve your objective without a cost associated with it.

Jyn is another simple choice IMO, Smuggler’s Luck. It enables her to reroll any or all of her attribute test dice, to choose another supply card and to choose an extra item card during the upgrade stage. The way the Rulebook states the upgrade stage plays out is spend XP then Spend credits so you can take advantage of this card straight away by drawing 7 item cards.

Mak, simples! Disengage or go home. The utility this card give Mak is amazing, for enemies to target you they need to be within 3 spaces, guess what triggers Disengage? Most times you can simply avoid a whole attack by moving 3 spaces, or even use it to slingshot yourself closer to the objective.

Gaarkhan is not so clear cut. Because he starts off being such a powerhouse you can almost ignore his early abilities to try and go straight for the 3-4 XP point cards. I'm not saying his 1 XP cards are bad, they are ok, but with him being so brutal saving up for Rampage (you charge with him lots don’t you?) or Brutal Cleave, you will not take too much of a hit by not upgrading him.

Military Might – I always save up for Assault Armour, Combat Medic uses Threat (early on you are starved for it) and Riot Grenades...Meh. Putting Assault Armour on Storm Troopers for 5 health each works wonders, especially with a reroll of the black dice.

Technological Superiority – I haven’t played with this deck so you will have to help me out here. Both 1XP abilities look useful and I would probably go for Technical Support as it affects all droids on the board (not an attachment).

Subversive Tactics – Surgical Strike, get it early and use it often. The attack does not have to do damage for you to use this after it’s resolved. The damage cannot be blocked, and if you are targeting a Rebel Ally (or a fully stressed hero) they will take 2 damage. This can mess up the Rebel plans so much, imagine using it on Gaarkhan or Gideon to stop them being able to use Charge of Command without resting, using up their precious activations...It’s a glorious card, especially paired up with Weary Target, 3 Strain handed out a turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Totter
Denmark
Brønshøj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we are more or less in agreement :)

But I wouldnt save up with Gaarkhan, being close to immune to stun etc is just great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm a big fan of Wookie Loyalty. Especially early in a campaign. You can use it to keep you're white die defending partners around (I wounded) longer. It is especially useful in the Under Siege mission when Garkhaan is likely to be standing next to them often in the crowded building.

I really like both of Mak's 1 XP abilities, but I've found Jesswandi Training (2 XP) to be my favorite ability for him early, and I like Target Acquired better than Disengage as well. Honestly, I think all four of the 1 and 2 XP abilities are almost must haves for him.

Fenn's is really an easy decision. Those extra two moves are arguably the best use of 1 XP in the game.

For Military Might... Yeah, the Assault Armor is worth saving for, but Combat Medic is nothing to sneeze at, even early. For that 1 threat used correctly you can keep your 6 threat ST's and E-Webs on the board longer. I hesitate to use it as an example since I ultimately lost the mission, but my first try of Under Siege with the Imperials I kept my first ST's and E-Web around in front of the North door with this ability for a while. Those four figures punished the Rebels for camping out around that first token after making short work of the door, and basically kept that entrance open for other figures the whole mission. If only Wookie Loyalty hadn't kept Diala alive on the last two rounds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Diala is an imperial nightmare.

We played just the tutorial scenario so far. We tried once and I as the IP won by activating one of the consoles (it was before 1.0.1 errata so it was possible to win that way that time). We were experimenting so we roll-backed the last couple of turns. Diala completely destroyed my strategy to run through the heroes and activate the console. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
Diala is an imperial nightmare.

We played just the tutorial scenario so far. We tried once and I as the IP won by activating one of the consoles (it was before 1.0.1 errata so it was possible to win that way that time). We were experimenting so we roll-backed the last couple of turns. Diala completely destroyed my strategy to run through the heroes and activate the console. .
I agree. I got destroyed in my last mission. I had 2 imperial guards clogging a doorway so they couldn't get through. She just force threw me out of the way and they all poured in. Strain is her worst enemy though. If you can keep pounding away on her, she will be near useless unless she rests all the time.

Nexu, Trandoshans, and Subversive Tactics upgrades. That's how you slow her , and everyone else, down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, but...

Diala: First Activation - Rest, Second Activation - Precise Strike Royal Guard + Snap Kick + Force Push... (Or the other way around if not adjacent already). No defense against any of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
I like to use an action every other round to rest her, and then get into a group and use Way of the Sarlaac on the next (or same) turn to completely wreck an area. Way of the Sarlaac + Cleave 2 + Snap Kick does not make my imperial happy. Also, if I rest the round before, I can do that combination and even do another attack for my second action if I start the round where I need to be, or within strain move distance. It's...evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Revan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I just finished a Campaign as the Imperials a week ago, and I have to say that Savage Weaponry is absolutely the best 1 point skill in the deck, and possibly in the game.

It has a free pierce 1, no surge required. This would already make it a strong 1 point skill, because it adds a flat 1 damage to almost any attack you make. In addition, the 1 surge: Bleed condition is very strong as well, resulting in either a stun-like effect, or constant strain damage, both slowing down the rebels.

Combined with troopers, this results in at least 2 more damage per turn from pierce, and the additional upside of being able to bleed with any extra surge. Consider that Stormtroopers can re-roll a die with their ability and that they innately surge for +1 damage. This means that on their Blue/Green attack dice, they will typically roll 3-4 damaging icons (2 surge/2 damage, 1 surge/3 damage, etc). Assuming range and evasion is not a factor, this would sometimes result in a "wasted" surge because you cannot spend it on the damage ability twice, but with savage Weaponry, you always have a place for that extra surge (assuming thy aren't already bleeding).

Note that none of this is to say that Surgical Strike is bad, it is clearly one of the best 1 point abilities Imperial players have access to, and I would take it with my very next XP. This is why Subversive Tactics is so strong, two great abilities early and strong synergies later.

Editing to avoid double-post:

I advocate Called Shot for Gideon. I know that his best abilities are higher costing, so it's tempting to save, but having access to an emergency surge for your whole team is often the difference between 2 and 3 imperial activations in a turn. At some point, your allies WILL roll just short of lethal damage, and in our group, it was happening several times a mission.

For Garkhan, things are a little less clear. Both his 1 point abilities are useful, and his 2 point abilities are (if memory serves) lackluster in comparison. So I'd say get both early. As for which to get FIRST...fortitude if you are fighting Savage Weaponry, loyalty otherwise. If you can use loyalty once per round for a mission, it is similar to a rest action that is spread out to your team (though the imperial player more or less chooses where it goes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Plancke
Belgium
Kortrijk
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zach Hillegas : It is my understanding that you must make a activation to move and then can use the strain tot move further. Nog a free action with 2 strain to move & then 2 activations left. Anyone else has an opinion on it ?

Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Necrolupus wrote:
Zach Hillegas : It is my understanding that you must make a activation to move and then can use the strain tot move further. Nog a free action with 2 strain to move & then 2 activations left. Anyone else has an opinion on it ?

Opinion does not enter into it. You can simply read the rules. You are also mixing activations and actions.

During your activation you can use an action to gain movement points. Heroes can also take strain (upto their endurance) upto twice per activation (not action!) to gain movement points, and can do this without using the move action. You can spend the gained movements points to move anytime during your activation, before, between or after actions, or all three, but not during an action. When you take an action, you are stopped and can not occupy the same space with another figure. You can use both actions during an activation to gain movement points. Heroes can also use both actions to attack.

But this is off-topic, please see the actual rules threads where we go over this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's interesting to see that most options are well represented except for a few.

Riot Grenades (Military Might) is so far the least popular option with only 2 of 35 votes, closely followed by Jetpacks (Technological Superiority) 3 of 31 votes in the unpopularity stakes while Saving points for later for Gideon (22 of 31) and Military Might (24 of 35) are very popular options, suggesting their 1 pointers are not so useful overall.

Diala, Jyn, Gaarkhan and Subversive Tactics have all options well represented with the spread only between 20-50% of the votes for each option.

It'll be good to see more votes come in and hopefully some people will come in and defend some abilities with their opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deffly wrote:
suggesting their 1 pointers are not so useful overall.

I'd actally say that they are percieved as not as useful and/or not percieved as useful at the start of the game. I think we need much more time with the campaign to actually rule out these things being useful early on.

That being said: They still are bought less (I myself saved for Assault Armor in the first campaign and immediately took Surgical Strike AND Savage Weaponry in the 2nd) by players. Might as well be that some classes are stronger early camaign and some are stronger late campaign. And if you can't get an early lead with Subversive Tactics, you will have a hard time later.

I still lack the experience with all 3 decks, let alone all Hero skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course getting a one-pointer or not is a trade-off between getting quick benefit in getting more XP and foregoing the possibility to get a better ability after the next mission. Getting a one-XP card that helps you throughout the whole campaign may be better investment than waiting. Especially when the 1XP stuff is more useful at the start of the campaign anyway due to both sides not yet having the better abilities or better weapons / equipment. So, a 1XP card may tip the scales and earn you more than the 1XP you spent on it during the next few missions, so anything after that is a gain.

If you knew whether reaching the next mission objective rewarded you with XP or credits you could make a more informed decision about the trade-off. If you get the same XP from the next mission whether you reach the objective or not, you may want to wait to afford a more useful class card (as you perceive it).

Also, it is a good point that in the first campaign you don't generally know which ones will be the good ones. Sometimes you overestimate an ability, and something that at first seems underpowered ends up working very well with some other ability you or another rebels gets later. This is what I like in games, the whole group can explore the game through repeated plays and learn the game together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
Of course getting a one-pointer or not is a trade-off between getting quick benefit in getting more XP and foregoing the possibility to get a better ability after the next mission. Getting a one-XP card that helps you throughout the whole campaign may be better investment than waiting. Especially when the 1XP stuff is more useful at the start of the campaign anyway due to both sides not yet having the better abilities or better weapons / equipment. So, a 1XP card may tip the scales and earn you more than the 1XP you spent on it during the next few missions, so anything after that is a gain.

If you knew whether reaching the next mission objective rewarded you with XP or credits you could make a more informed decision about the trade-off. If you get the same XP from the next mission whether you reach the objective or not, you may want to wait to afford a more useful class card (as you perceive it).

Also, it is a good point that in the first campaign you don't generally know which ones will be the good ones. Sometimes you overestimate an ability, and something that at first seems underpowered ends up working very well with some other ability you or another rebels gets later. This is what I like in games, the whole group can explore the game through repeated plays and learn the game together.

This is definitely true. In our first campaign, for example, I played IP and my group played Rebels. For most of the campaign we SEVERELY underestimated the value of movement. It took a while for the Rebels to realize how important getting to the objectives are, instead of just fighting through. Every -single- extra movement point is a gift that must be used wisely. Jyn never used Opportunist and Tactical Movement wasn't bought until late in the campaign.

When I started a Rebel campaign, I was torn on whether I wanted to spend that precious first XP on Tactical Movement, and decided I would. It won me the next mission. I LOVE how deep and varied this game is, and I really can't wait to see more heroes and IP class decks.

I also like how different each deck can make your character. I've seen that in most discussions about Diala, a lot of people use her as kind of a jack of all trades/support unit, with her ability to move around, push people, give them rerolls, etc. However in my campaign, I'm sorely lacking on offensive units. I don't have the wookiee and the other three characters are the white die ones. So instead, I opted to turn her into an offensive machine. Way of the Sarlaac, Cleave 2 Vibroblade, Snap Kick, etc, and it's been working extremely well for me. It's cool that different loadouts can completely change the kind of role a character can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haines
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jacenat wrote:
Deffly wrote:
suggesting their 1 pointers are not so useful overall.

I'd actally say that they are percieved as not as useful and/or not percieved as useful at the start of the game. I think we need much more time with the campaign to actually rule out these things being useful early on.

That being said: They still are bought less (I myself saved for Assault Armor in the first campaign and immediately took Surgical Strike AND Savage Weaponry in the 2nd) by players. Might as well be that some classes are stronger early camaign and some are stronger late campaign. And if you can't get an early lead with Subversive Tactics, you will have a hard time later.

I still lack the experience with all 3 decks, let alone all Hero skills.

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say (poorly) as a first off skill to get those 1 pointers is not so useful. They may be useful down the track but rely on other skills to make them shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.