Subject: POLL: how often you get gaming in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gaming" can mean different things to different people and groups. Whatever you prefer to do... whether it's Cards Against Humanity, Twilight Struggle, themed nights, euro game night, free for all, 3 hour time slot, 7 hours if it means you have drive further (which could also have different meanings as well).

Poll: Poll on your preference for frequency of gaming...
Ideally... if you don't pass out from fatigue, have not a care in the world, and basically none of the restrictions from the "realistically" description, then go for it!

Realistically... you have kids, work, other things to worry about. Given your gaming group(s), you really can't expect too much anyways.

Actuality... what the situation actually is with board gaming
1. Ideally, how often would you like to play board games?
Every day
every other day
x2 a week
once a week
every 2 weeks
3x every 2 months
every month
every other month
every 3 months
x2 a year
once a year
less frequently than once a year
2. Realistically, how often would you like to play board games?
Every day
every other day
x2 a week
once a week
every 2 weeks
3x every 2 months
every month
every other month
every 3 months
x2 a year
once a year
less frequently than once a year.
3. How often do you end up actually playing board games?
Every day
every other day
x2 a week
once a week
every 2 weeks
3x every 2 months
every month
every other month
every 3 months
x2 a year
once a year
less frequently than once a year.
      256 answers
Poll created by ackmondual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: POLL: how often you get gaming in....
Once a week across the board for me. I love playing games, but anything gets old if you do it too often. I occasionally play more, especially at conventions, but once a week is a great baseline for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Ideally and realistically I'd like to play somewhere between once a week and once a fortnight, with once a fortnight likely being more ideal. Once a fortnight gives me a good bit of time to review and fully digest whatever we played.

In practice I play 2-4 times every 2 months, which is already slightly more than the current environment really supports for the sorts of things I want to play (ie the less than a half dozen games I'm currently interested in, and any of my designs in development).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were all the same too. I'm happy with how often I game. I've had some big weekends of all gaming, and, while they are fun - it can wipe you out a bit and you feel less excited about gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miklos Fitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I try to play everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Up until this September I have played games almost every day for several years, but without a preschooler at home any more, or my husband working from home anymore, that no longer happens. I usually get to play three days a week without fail though, sometimes more often, so I'm not doing too badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at an odd point where I will spend 3-6 weeks unable to play games as I'm at work away from home. When I get back all the time I have is my own. I therefore like getting in a good chunk of gaming and will average two sessions a week but occasionally three. My partner usually wants to play a game maybe once a week but right now she is in the middle of reports so that's on hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Once a week across the board for me. I love playing games, but anything gets old if you do it too often.

True, but there are so many good games that you can play a different one every day of the week, and once a week for a game is not too much, while it is often enough to retain rules and lets you try different strategies without fear of not getting to redeem yourself if the strategy fails this time. (That's why ONUWW is great. You have instant gratification for success, and instant clean slate after failures.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
A recurring poll? When was the last one, and what did that one tell us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should add another question around time spent on the other aspects of the hobby ... making your own game (for both the hobbyists and the pros), chroming your components, etc.

Do the Publishers' marketing teams read these polls? I wonder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always got a wargame set up for solitaire play in my game room. That makes it easy to do a turn or two before bedtime on most nights. Outside of solitaire play, I usually get out to two out of four available game meetups every week. I try to mix up which group I go to each week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdness... there's a gap between every day and every other day. Every other day averages out to 2.5 times a week (unless you're a body builder) so you're leaving people who play 3, 4, 5 or 6 times a week without a good option. I play 3 times a week, so I chose every other day, but that's not really a good choice.

I'm not really sure the distinction you're making between "realistically" and "ideally" here. Both questions ask how much I want to play. I'm guessing that the question that states realistically is somehow asking what's a realistic amount that you actually could play? That's a different thing than how much I realistically want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to game everyday but it ends up being about 5 times a week.One of those days a few different games get played. I am trying to dwindle down the amount of un-played games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel pretty lucky, I usually can get in 5-6 gaming sessions per week. Sometimes I'll feel like I need a night off but then I just want to play anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play board games every day, unfortunately, I don't want to deal with people every day, and I'm not a fan of solo play.

So realistically, I can handle about 2x a week before burning out on people.

But I actually play about once a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I need more friends, that live closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play every other day. My normal week usually has a minimum of my weekly game night, but my weeks have gone as high as four times in a week. It really depends on what is going on in my life at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming group gets together twice a week. I enjoy that amount and I look forward to my gaming days. I suspect if I were push it up to three or four times a week, I would burn out and stop enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play every day but I don´t have people to play with every day (my girlfriend is studying) so I bought a bunch of solo games I try to play every day but I work graveyard shifts and some days after work Im just to tired to focus on a solo board game. But I often have a board game set up next to my computer

Then you have all the other things in your life that take time away from board games (family, kids, friends). shake

But If i could I would play every day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.