Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Matejka
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought the base set and quite a few addons... but I haven't had a chance to actually play yet. I was curious, do all of the cards need to be kept separate when storing them? It seems the small upgrade cards go with specific ships but sometimes share symbols. Is it recommend to keep the cards grouped with their specific ships? For example, the B-wing addon seems to have different cards than the B-wing in Rebel Aces yet they are both simply called "B-Wing" on the cards and them seem to have different upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no reason to store them by ship. You can use any B-Wing pilot card with either version of the ship

Upgrades also are not limited by the package they're from, you just need to have the right upgrade slots. For example, a X-Wing can use torpedoes that were packaged with the B-Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The different upgrades that come in the different boxes can be mixed and matched as long as the ships they get used with have the appropriate upgrade symbols.

For instance, any B-Wing can install a System Upgrade, a Cannon, up to two torpedoes (and a modification). Some of the better pilots can also get an Elite Pilot Upgrade.

It doesn't matter where those cards come from. Ten Numb, for instance, from the B-Wing expansion, could equip a B-Wing/E2 modification from Rebel Aces, Advanced Sensors from the E-Wing expansion, a Heavy Laser Cannon and Gunner from the Slave I expansion. It only matters that the symbols match up (and some cards will specify that they only can be played in a certain faction or a certain type of ship)

Most of the players I know organize them by type, without worrying about what expansion the cards originally came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skotothalamos wrote:
The different upgrades that come in the different boxes can be mixed and matched as long as the ships they get used with have the appropriate upgrade symbols.

For instance, any B-Wing can install a System Upgrade, a Cannon, up to two torpedoes (and a modification). Some of the better pilots can also get an Elite Pilot Upgrade.

It doesn't matter where those cards come from. Ten Numb, for instance, from the B-Wing expansion, could equip a B-Wing/E2 modification from Rebel Aces, Advanced Sensors from the E-Wing expansion, a Heavy Laser Cannon and Gunner from the Slave I expansion. It only matters that the symbols match up (and some cards will specify that they only can be played in a certain faction or a certain type of ship)

Most of the players I know organize them by type, without worrying about what expansion the cards originally came from.

Ty for this info. I also bought a starter kit as a new player and while this info is dynamite for fans, I think I can see the holes in this package.

So you either go for a rather complete collection or be stranded in a side road and drop any competition because you lack the necessary cards.

Very CCG/LCG like mechanic. You either invest 300+ Euros or stop competing.

I think I'll just play it as a toy but I doubt it will bring me more fun than solo adventure boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There definitely is a little bit of that factor. For example, the Corellian Corvette is not legal in standard tournaments but comes with a really good C-3PO card. That C-3PO is legal in standard tournaments and some of the best Millenium Falcon builds use it.

Of course, if you don't care about tournaments, you can just print out pictures of cards and not care about buying everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
There definitely is a little bit of that factor. For example, the Corellian Corvette is not legal in standard tournaments but comes with a really good C-3PO card. That C-3PO is legal in standard tournaments and some of the best Millenium Falcon builds use it.

Of course, if you don't care about tournaments, you can just print out pictures of cards and not care about buying everything.

Oh but I am not against this mechanic. I think it is fabulous for the fans. But it is good to point out that you need to invest heavely before you will be able to officially enjoy all the great possibilities of this game.

At the other hand, I don't think the investment is not related to the total fun you get in many games with these mechanics... and vice versa you see that games without this mechanic are oddly enough becoming less and less popular (despite of the obvious money drain for the fans).

I find Warhammer: Diskwars an insane fun game and all you get is one basic box and 2 expansions. Apparently FFG will no longer support tournament play after this season while according to them the sales were good ...

It makes you wonder: did they lie about the basic sales or ... is this kind of (limited) formula not commercial enough to further support tournaments ...

I think the player must choose: OR you take the dive and are prepared to follow or just buy it for casual play with a family member (as going to a club with fans will get you the Magic the Gathering experience of a newbee against a fantatic made 1000 dollar deck).

Your idea of copying cards is quite good, but it is not really satisfying either as it still feels like being lost on the official high way.

I only see one extra problem: the day the expansions stop these games don't hold their player numbers and you are stuck with tons of plastic and cards. but no competitions.

That's why I think this system for the players works best with solo rules too so you can still play it any time when the bandwagon died off.

Even a solo App system is available for XWing ... so enjoy !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
As far as storage of the cards goes:

I use a binder to keep them organized with 2 different types of sleeve pages. The classic 9-pocket standard sleeves for the ship cards, and through talk with others on this forum, I found out that Ultra-pro makes 12 pocket pages for stickers or stamps. These are the perfect height for 12 upgrade cards, but they are a little wider than the cards so there is some wiggle room. They work great as long as you don't drop or invert the binder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Large cards I store in sleeves in Ultra Pro deckboxes, Black, Red and Green for Empire, Rebel and Scum.

Small cards I sleeve and store in Ultra Pro dual deck boxes. You can buy two, rip out the upright of one and the side slot of the other and use some double sided tape to get two side by side rows. You can also use the two uprights together for ship cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:

I use a binder to keep them organized with 2 different types of sleeve pages. The classic 9-pocket standard sleeves for the ship cards, and through talk with others on this forum, I found out that Ultra-pro makes 12 pocket pages for stickers or stamps. These are the perfect height for 12 upgrade cards, but they are a little wider than the cards so there is some wiggle room. They work great as long as you don't drop or invert the binder

I use standard card holder sheets for the pilot cards ( the sheets with the fabric backing not the clear ones). For the upgrade cards I use business card holder sheets. For the dials and ship plates I use binder pages for holding coins. It all fits in a zippered 3 ring binder and makes set up a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Matejka
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skotothalamos wrote:

Just so I understand correctly... the Millennium Falcon comes with crew cards like "Luke Skywalker" and the Slave 1 cards have a crew upgrade slot. I can use that Luke Skywalker card for Slave 1 with no issues if I want? And it doesn't really matter if I mix my Rebel Aces B-Wing cards with my regular B-Wing cards and store those together by ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke is a bad example since he says "Rebel only" on him. The Gunner from the Slave 1 doesn't have anything like that though, so it can be used on the Falcon.

Luke can be used on the HWK and YT-2400, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Matejka
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol... yes, that was a bad example. I didn't notice that it said Rebels only. I was reading the cards online... but thanks for all the feedback. I think I will group cards by ship type and upgrade type. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
LeximusMaximus wrote:

I use 9 pocket Ultra-pro folders, both for the regular size and the mini cards. 2 mini-cards fit nicely in each pocket and they don't usually move around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.