tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
How bad is it to post the links to the cards I made since the art is not mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel F
msg tools

Fire:

Fire Lord -- With Pretty Pretty, the wording here can lead to an unfortunate situation where cats take control of one of your minions, destroy it, and YOU (the owner) have to discard. This is because they control it so it is their minion, but you are always the owner. Easy fix: change "owner" to "controller."

Aspect of the Phoenix -- Make it clear whether the destroyed card is a viable option or not. "When it goes to the discard pile" could be either right after or right before it itself is there.

Fire Drake -- This power seems under powered for the lvl 4 minion. Think about it: you have 5 cards here that let you destroy something on your turn, but that's just +1 power for the turn. On other players' turns, they have control--they won't destroy something if that +1 power is going to help you significantly. I might suggest lowering the power to 3 and maybe getting a power counter each time another minion is destroyed? That way it is more permanent and justifies begin the second best minion in this deck?

Water:

Overall this faction seems pretty weak. If it's thing is "draw support" make that more pronounced. As it stands, the plants and ponies are about as good on "draw support," and they both have their own core mechanics on top of that (both are playing lots of minions). These are also a bit "Super Spy" but again, don't have enough cards to help them really control the deck like the spies.

Leviathan--Players will just not affect this. It's like a worst Brownie, IMO.

Return to the Sea -- I really like this idea for a special!

Air

Again, the +1 whenever a player minion moves seems like an under powered mechanic, but at least with moving you will have most of the control, and may be able to do several in the same turn to rack up some power for a real benefit.

Air Initiate -- I really like that!

Migration--your power 2 minions can move on their own, so this action really only helps you move your other faction. Other factions with heavy movement that you might pair with this faction for max synergy also can't benefit from this: Bears and Princesses have no power 2 minions, and Steampunkers' Power 2 (Captain Ahab) can move on his own. The ponies let you move a little, but once again, your power 2 minion (Pinkie) is almost always power 3 when it's on the field. I'd rework this action, especially since there are 2 copies.

Earth

I think this faction has a good core idea, but it needs some realignment. The problem is that only some factions (I'd say a minority) even HAVE actions on bases. That makes this faction an overpowered counter to those factions (Steampunkers, Tricksters), and effectively useless against other factions with no (or few) actions on bases (Wizards, Spies [Mindraker, but almost never gets played], Shapeshifters).

Maybe broaden the scope to actions on minions or bases--basically anthing that stays out. Even that, though, isn't great, becasue many factions don't have many ongoing actions at all (again, Wizards, Plants and Aliens can get by pretty easily without using theirs).

Overall, my favorite is air. I think fire is fine, albeit a little generic (lots of factions are already centered around high-power destroy minions--maybe try to make more of the actions unique?) Water is probably too weak as written (though it's hard to tell without playtesting), and I think Earth needs an overhaul!

I hope that's helpful and you don't think I'mbeing too harsh! I'm just giving my honest feedback because that's what I'd want if I made factions!

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laos the Lurking
Germany
Würzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I love the theme of the 4 elements. It sounds quite fitting how you “translated” the elements into special powers for each faction. I’d really like to see the visualisations of the cards. The element-theme offers a great variety of awesome card-imagery I suppose :-)

I did an element-themed Smash Up expansion myself some time ago, based on the great Nickelodeon series Avatar – The Last Airbender. I plan to translate the cards and post the texts in the variant-forum when I'm done. It would be interesting how the element benders and the elementals work together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thefreiguy720 wrote:

Fire:

Fire Lord -- With Pretty Pretty, the wording here can lead to an unfortunate situation where cats take control of one of your minions, destroy it, and YOU (the owner) have to discard. This is because they control it so it is their minion, but you are always the owner. Easy fix: change "owner" to "controller."

Aspect of the Phoenix -- Make it clear whether the destroyed card is a viable option or not. "When it goes to the discard pile" could be either right after or right before it itself is there.

Fire Drake -- This power seems under powered for the lvl 4 minion. Think about it: you have 5 cards here that let you destroy something on your turn, but that's just +1 power for the turn. On other players' turns, they have control--they won't destroy something if that +1 power is going to help you significantly. I might suggest lowering the power to 3 and maybe getting a power counter each time another minion is destroyed? That way it is more permanent and justifies begin the second best minion in this deck?

Water:

Overall this faction seems pretty weak. If it's thing is "draw support" make that more pronounced. As it stands, the plants and ponies are about as good on "draw support," and they both have their own core mechanics on top of that (both are playing lots of minions). These are also a bit "Super Spy" but again, don't have enough cards to help them really control the deck like the spies.

Leviathan--Players will just not affect this. It's like a worst Brownie, IMO.

Return to the Sea -- I really like this idea for a special!

Air

Again, the +1 whenever a player minion moves seems like an under powered mechanic, but at least with moving you will have most of the control, and may be able to do several in the same turn to rack up some power for a real benefit.

Air Initiate -- I really like that!

Migration--your power 2 minions can move on their own, so this action really only helps you move your other faction. Other factions with heavy movement that you might pair with this faction for max synergy also can't benefit from this: Bears and Princesses have no power 2 minions, and Steampunkers' Power 2 (Captain Ahab) can move on his own. The ponies let you move a little, but once again, your power 2 minion (Pinkie) is almost always power 3 when it's on the field. I'd rework this action, especially since there are 2 copies.

Earth

I think this faction has a good core idea, but it needs some realignment. The problem is that only some factions (I'd say a minority) even HAVE actions on bases. That makes this faction an overpowered counter to those factions (Steampunkers, Tricksters), and effectively useless against other factions with no (or few) actions on bases (Wizards, Spies [Mindraker, but almost never gets played], Shapeshifters).

Maybe broaden the scope to actions on minions or bases--basically anthing that stays out. Even that, though, isn't great, becasue many factions don't have many ongoing actions at all (again, Wizards, Plants and Aliens can get by pretty easily without using theirs).

Overall, my favorite is air. I think fire is fine, albeit a little generic (lots of factions are already centered around high-power destroy minions--maybe try to make more of the actions unique?) Water is probably too weak as written (though it's hard to tell without playtesting), and I think Earth needs an overhaul!

I hope that's helpful and you don't think I'mbeing too harsh! I'm just giving my honest feedback because that's what I'd want if I made factions!

Let me know what you think!

Thank you for your input! I actually have noticed and agree with a lot of things you pointed out after posting up my cards. I'll note on a few things tho that may help with some of your concerns.

Earth - I did consider some races do not have alot of base actions. This is why I made it so you could receive benefits from destroying your own actions. I also made the earth actions purposely not amazingly strong so that it isn't such a cut if u need to Destroy them. You can also group them with a faction that has actions to benefit more. Im also ok with them being s good counter to some rsces, especially steampunk. But after further testing, u are pretty right and I have some great ideas to make this idea work much better.

Water- I have found in testing they are kinda strong. Draw/top card manipulation is really strong, so I had to be careful.. Also making any unit immune is really strong (like Mole). I had to be really careful with them. They may end up weak but I prefer starting that way then buffing for these guys. I also do not like what I chose for Leviathan, at all, so it's now changed. I have some other changes to make them a bit stronger and better at drawing.

For Air, migration also let's you move other players minions. You might also put uplift on one your 2 power minions. This also makes it so you can move air initiate even without moving something else first. I knew pirates had some issues with how many cards said 2 power only but I was ok with migration considering it moves enemy minions and uplift.

Fire- for fire drake, I made it so he gets +1 each time a minion is destroyed instead of when one or more are destoryed. With this, he can potentially get big pluses in one turn. Also works if your own are destroyed, like if you are say using the plants 2 power minion. I will also likely change from the Ashes to allow you to play the extra minion anywhere.

I keep thinking aspect of the Phoenix will be to strong if it can bring the same minion it was played on back, so I'm working on the wording.

I do not understand what you are saying about Fire Lord. The rules say if you take control of the minion it is as if you played it, but they are always the owner, not you, you just control it. So my wording seems accurate. This means you can take control of your enemy minion then kill it and they would still have to discard because they are the owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: UPDATED (05-24-15) custom factions-Elemental Smash Up: Earth, Air, Fire, Water
BALANCE UPDATE 1- All card text in OP reflect the changes

Corrected some spelling errors.

- Imp: Now can grab any 2 power minion from the deck instead of just another of itself. That was weird anyway.

-Fire elemental: changed ability- Now has a special which allows it to be played when a minion is destroyed. This fit the fire theme better.

-Fire Drake: Buffed ability to gain +1 power each time a minion is destroyed ANYWHERE and not just on his base.

-Fire Blast: Changed ability to be more unique and to be more useful.

-From the Ashes: Buffed to allow you to play the extra minion anywhere and not just on the same base of the destroyed minion.

-Aspect of the Phoenix: Changed wording so you could not re play the minion the action was on.

-Leviathan: New ability- did not like the old ability because it was useless and it now is more similar to the other factions 4 power minions.

-Drown: *buffed* Now can target power 3 or less minions

-Water Lord: Changed the ability to be able to draw the top card instead of putting it back on top or to put it on the bottom.

-Fountain of Life: Changed to draw a card when played and at the start of each turn.

-Water Barrier: Changed to so the minion is not affected by enemy cards.

-Replenish: *buffed* Now triggers when one or more of your minions goes to the discard from anywhere rather than when it is destroyed on the same base.

-Air Elemental: switched abilities with Wind Serpent

-Wind Serpent: Switched abilities with Air Elemental. Now Wind Serpent is more like the 4 power minions from the other factions.

-Migration: Updated to be more unique and to allow more options.

-Stone Dragon: *Buffed* Gave it the ability to destroy an action on the base when played. Also gives +2 power rather than +1.

-Strength of Earth: Changed the ability to be played on a minion so they can maintain the power gain. "Until end of turn" was not strong enough considering the requirement. Now is also useful even if an action is not on the base.

-Earth Adept: Changed ability. Now gains +1 if on a base with an action on it.

-Earth Power: Changed Ability. You now gain +2 power on the base, and an extra +1 power for each other action on the base.

-Earth Elemental: This minion is now also to be considered as an action on the base. So he now triggers abilities needing actions on a base and can be targeted by cards that target actions on a base.

-Earth Lord: His talent will now also work if an action is played on the base as well as destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you provide a link to the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Carvalho de Luca
Brazil
flag msg tools
already has bases in these expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bmfrench89 wrote:
Can you provide a link to the cards?

I will provide the link to the cards to anyone who PM's me. I'll PM you though since you said you want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
avohai23 wrote:
already has bases in these expansion?

No bases were made. I dont really have any base inspiration, maybe in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Ritter

SanAntonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Some base ideas for you.

The Fire Nation Capital (16, 5-3-2)- Your minions on this base must be from the same faction.
Ember Island (15, 4-2-2)-- The winner may look at any one player's hand who also had a minion on this base.

Ba Sing Se (22, 4-3-1)-- Minions on this base cannot move or be moved.
Omashu (22, 4-3-1)-- Minions cannot move or be moved here.

The Southern Air Temple (21, 3-2-1)-- During phase two of your turn, you may move a minion you control that is here to another base.
The Spirit World (25, 4-3-1)-- If possible, you must play a minion from your discard pile on this base as an extra minion.

The North Pole (18, 2-4-1)-- When you have a minion here, at the start of your turn, draw a card.
Foggy Swamp (21, 4-2-1)-- At the start of your turn, you may place the top card of your deck face down without looking on this base. When this base breaks, reveal the cards, all minions count but do not use their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.