Popular Tags: ameritrash [+] [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am proposing Amerigold as a name for a GOOD American style game design. Ameritrash was a shot at the derivative and simplistic schlock that flooded the likes of Toys R Us. It was NOT meant for all American designs. You can do it jokingly, like using Eurosnoot, but it isn't meant as serious.

Anyhow, I am proposing this, because we need SOME name for the stuff that American game companies had churned out in hopes that a game would sell a lot if it played like Monopoly, but had a particular trendy theme. Ghettopoly fits in this as a prime example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Stainbrook
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you guys are missing the point. Much like "GrapeNuts", "Ameritrash" ain't got no Grapes or Nuts. Know what I'm saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I propose Amerigold as a name for GOOD American game des
jaystainbrook wrote:
you guys are missing the point. Much like "GrapeNuts", "Ameritrash" ain't got no Grapes or Nuts. Know what I'm saying?

I am saying that I was one of the original people on rec.games.board who came up with the term to take a shot a derivate game designs put out by American companies" The obscene number of Monopoly variants, games like sequence for example, and other games that sell due to theme, and not play mechanics. These were the trademark of American game design before the Eurodesigns hit (when they were called German games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, there's no grapes in Fortress America?
I'm not bothering with it now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Word of advice...Never print off the image, cut out the head and stick it on the face of your wife......

Just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
jaystainbrook wrote:

I am saying that I was one of the original people on rec.games.board who came up with the term to take a shot a derivate game designs put out by American companies" The obscene number of Monopoly variants, games like sequence for example, and other games that sell due to theme, and not play mechanics. These were the trademark of American game design before the Eurodesigns hit (when they were called German games).

Sadly, I think the term has taken on new contexts and obviously a new life of its own.

Thou has sown the wind, and reaped the whirlwind, aye?

My vote goes for AmeriTheme.
Or AmeriTreasure.
Something so I didn't waste my 15 gg on the Microbadge, cause it's all about me now. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
docreason wrote:
jaystainbrook wrote:

Sadly, I think the term has taken on new contexts and obviously a new life of its own.

Thou has sown the wind, and reaped the whirlwind, aye?

My vote goes for AmeriTheme.
Or AmeriTreasure.
Something so I didn't waste my 15 gg on the Microbadge, cause it's all about me now. shake

I personally prefer there just to be "games". Euro stuff did breath a bunch of fresh air into the whole boardgaming business, and revitalize it. As of now, I personally just want good games. Stuff with American bits and theming are what pique my interest more, and not just another flimsy themed but clever play mechanic game (ok, I give in that I got No Thanks! but I cound that as a filler). I want games to be based around SOMETHING that is captivating. Some theme that I am interested in. AND not get bogged down with bad play mechanics. No excuse for that. Give me both. Give me lots of player interaction and minimal downtime. Use new play mechanics to enhance the theming and the theming to make the gameplay more fun. Have REASONS for it now.

I have a ton of games I can play. I don't need more gimmicks. I need a better "next civ" or upgrade to this. Oh yes and give me good production value.

I want to do an old standbye Euro I can play El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I propose getting rid of the supremely awkward prefix "Ameri-" altogether. It's damned annoying and is laden with too many different connotations.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot! It's pretentious too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is getting petty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amerigold sounds like a credit card company name.

Besides, you are kinda late to this party, Doc. A bunch of us already have the merit badges already and are working on world domination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'd just like to point out:

You can't coin a term, stop using it, find out somebody else is using it several years later and go "whoaaaaa! Stop it! Stop it! You're not using my word right!"cry

Well on second thought, you can do that, but nobody is going to listen. They'll just laugh at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, definitely. I was going to start a thread about this. I hate "AmeriTrash". It is in line with current Euro-Lefty America bashing.

All it takes is for us here at BGG to start using something else.

"AmeriTheme" is OK, but I'm sure we could come up with something more clever but without having to resort to a disparaging term.

"AmeriGames", "USian", maybe.

For the record, I am a Canadian who knows who is friends are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Yes, definitely. I was going to start a thread about this. I hate "AmeriTrash". It is in line with current Euro-Lefty America bashing.

All it takes is for us here at BGG to start using something else.

"AmeriTheme" is OK, but I'm sure we could come up with something more clever but without having to resort to a disparaging term.

"AmeriGames", "USian", maybe.

For the record, I am a Canadian who knows who is friends are.

We like you. Now make me a sandwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Brown
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about just plain 'ol "Ami" or "Ami's" ? The Germans in " Medal of Honor" seem fond of that name!gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the term "gamers game" - Although not quite the same they do often overlap i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I await the rise of the Amerisnoots. They're out there!

Are there any Partytrashers and Weurosnoots out there?

Hey, how about some Abstroots and...

Maisy dotes and Eurosnoots and little Ameritrashers
A kiddlysnooty too, wouldn't you?

(all together now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I'd considered dropping the whole Ameri part and concentrate on the theme part, since many games in this catagory aren't american.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I'll throw some oddball stuff out there:

Manifest-theme

like manifest destiny it's the idea that someday all games will be like these games...we can only hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ruhland
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the newest Ameritrash rantings started as this underdog generic grouping that was willing to pick on itself and still be proud of it. Kind of like a so so movie, like "the longest yard", we're the prisoners. You can love us, hate us, or both. We're still going to play Ameritrash games and Eurogames no matter what.

But the AmeriGold does sound like a credit card offer or some commodity broker trying to get me to invest in Gold bullion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
I'd just like to point out:

You can't coin a term, stop using it, find out somebody else is using it several years later and go "whoaaaaa! Stop it! Stop it! You're not using my word right!"cry

Well on second thought, you can do that, but nobody is going to listen. They'll just laugh at you.

I didn't expect the term to go off and become a monster trouncing the villagers. I expected it to be a nice Golem, that would avenge for the weak, by trashing bad game designs, and slink off. But, NO, it is now rampaging and attacking GOOD theme driven AMERICAN games, with a decent dose of luck. I blame the Snoots for this turning of the Golem. I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the comparison with a Golem lurking about attacking bad American game designs. I get the point 110%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the comparison of the Golem attacking bad American game designs (bad USA games being Ameritrash). Good American games are called something else.

Plastic is a common thing found in American games-

-how about Plastigames for good USA games?

I didn't think so.

Still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike amerigold as a term, too cheesey for me. Ideally I genre names should not be names of continents, but its not like I have any good suggestions anyway. Maybe more generic terms would be more appropriate. It seems abstract games would be about the only term we could agree on. This is because the term doesn't have much connotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I like the comparison with a Golem lurking about attacking bad American game designs. I get the point 110%.

Well, considering what Ameritrash has morphed into, that is what I feel like, a creator of a golem that got out of control. Had it just stayed as what it was created for, people wouldn't have a problem with it.

I am now trying to defend the village of American game designs from my own creation, with Fantasy Flight and Warfrog being two of my favorite publishers, and Rio Grande slipping behind them. Euros are getting played out to me. I WANT MY PLASTIC SHAPED PIECES, AND WAR AND CHROME AND THEME. I want them to have a Euro engine driving them. I want these of Caylus!

Die Ameritrash beast! You completed your mission, now just die! I am taking the A of your name, and you will be called Merit Rash! NOW DIE!

And all those who keep using it to attack more than bad American designs, Merit a Rash!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.