GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Dale of Merchants - A modular deck builder for 2 - 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

I've been designing a deck builder for some time now and would love to get feedback on cards, rules etc.

Introduction
In this game, players are merchants who have gathered in the Dale to find out who’s the best trader. Only one will be proclaimed above the rest while other’s have no room in the history books.

Players can adjust the game to their liking by playing with races which match their playing style. Do you want to be sly with Thieving Northern Raccoons, bend the rules with Adapting Veiled Chameleons or bring total chaos with Lucky Ocelotes? The first player to complete astounding merchant stall is the winner of the game!

I'll recommend checking the cards in original size.

The important stuff are card value, race icon/colour, possible plus icon and card text at bottom. Card title and subheader (this matches the race icon and colour) are irrelevant for gameplay. Card type (technique/passive in this case) is nice to have, but not critical. The small text in bottom right wont be in the final cards.

Is there any suggestions? All comments are greatly appreciated!

Links and stuff
- Game's homepage
- Game's BGG page
- Play testing thread (includes rules and PnP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Feedback for new deck builder card design
The typeface is not comfortable to read.

The word "foxes" does not look like foxes without the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I've considered the font myself. I really like the look of it, but clarity has to be the number one concern. I'll try to find an alternative font for the action card text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely need to change the font as suggested. The current one is much too difficult to read, especially for anyone with less-than-perfect eyesight.

I think the banners with the icons could be a little bigger as well, to make them easier to see at a glance. I am not saying you should go huge, and I appreciate tasteful design, but they seem a tad on the small side to me.

On the same note, I don't know how many different colours of banners you intend to use, but I would ditch the beige for something that stands out better from the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I actually loved the font and did not have any trouble at all reading the cards, but I took a screenshot of the cards and printed them off to get a better look.

Something to consider is that fonts in digital read a lot differently than fonts in print. I forget the exact science, but it has something to do with the loopier fonts or fonts with serifs, they make it hard on the eye to read in digital format. In print, your cards look beautiful and are easy for me to read. I didn't the slightest problem with the word "Foxes" for example. But this is just me.

I would suggest people printing them off if they have not to look at them before they judge readability, but you may still need to change it.

The art is beautiful. It makes me hungry. I love games that make me hungry. Excited to hear more about your game as it comes along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the subtitle for each card is simply which faction it belongs to, which corresponds to the banner colour or icon, then you could keep the font you like for the title and subtitle without much issue. It would seem that players won't be reading that subtitle more than once, after which they will rely on the colour and icon to tell them what faction it belongs to.

The card effect text however does need to be more readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for great feedback!

I changed the font to a lot more readable one and changed the colour of the fox race. I also upped the kerning a notch on the race names. Didn't change the size of banners + icons just yet. I need to print some cards and eyeball them a little.

Here's the updated cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking much better already. The contrast with the foxes makes a big difference for me, and the card text is clearly readable, even zoomed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tweedt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a graphic designer and game player, I love these cards. They are simple, attractive and very functional. Less is more is always my motto.

I totally agree on the font change. Keeping the fancy font for flavor text is a great way to delineate between important instructions.

Also the colors to distinguish types of cards is a good choice.

If I had one change, I would say tighten the leading in the text at the bottom. You can do it for cards that have more text, but a uniform look goes a long way. It's nitpicky, but your cards look phenomenal and I want to see them perfected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great observation. I tightened the leading a bit. It was large from the old font, which required higher space between lines so the letters didn't overlap.

Here's one card with 3 lines of text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards look great. Only thing is I would suggest re-framing the cheese on the Kind Treat, as the bottom of the ribbon/icon area hits the edge of the cheese wheel/board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a thread for gathering play testers which can be found here.

I will continue to post here in regards of the visual design of the game once I've completed more of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Ezell
United States
Southaven
Mississippi
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
dreadfulgames.com
mbmb
Liuhuparta wrote:

Here's the updated cards:

All caps are statistically (and actually) hard to read. I would adjust the kerning on the header just a bit. The brown/beige replacement is great. The lines of text at the bottom look like they kept the line spacing from the original font, I might decrease it.

Love the art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE everything about these designs. Really well done.

The original font, thought not the easiest to read, is not terrible either. You could get away with using it. Sometimes it's okay to let form trump function (said the artist... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadfulGames wrote:
All caps are statistically (and actually) hard to read. I would adjust the kerning on the header just a bit. The brown/beige replacement is great. The lines of text at the bottom look like they kept the line spacing from the original font, I might decrease it.

Love the art!

Thank you for the feedback.

How would you adjust it? More space between letters? I decreased the line spacing with previous image (green 5).

I tried to use more thematic font on title. Below are two examples. Which one do you prefer? The title is only used to identify the card along with the artwork. The most important thing is the action text which is written in really easy to read font. I personally prefer the second one with cursive font on the title.

Example 1

Example 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Ezell
United States
Southaven
Mississippi
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
dreadfulgames.com
mbmb
Liuhuparta wrote:

Example 2

I think these in example 2 are perfect. You are very talented and these have a great overall feel. I would be proud to have them in a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used last weeks to mostly play test the game to polish it, but have also managed to squeeze in a bunch of improvements to it's graphic design. Below is a set of new improved cards.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you're more interested in the game, you can subscribe to my newsletter here, find the game's BGG page here and get print'n'play files here.

Edit: I would be grateful if people could press the x on top of the thread and click "wrong forum" as I'd like to move this to the Works in progress forum. I believe this would fit better there. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally liked it better with the serif font used for the card titles and the script font used only for the subtitles and card categories. I liked the increased legibility and it also made each card seem more balanced having that font at both the top and bottom.

I'd also like to see a version of the cards where you add some more visible texture to the cleaner parts like the text, icons, top ribbon, and colour field behind the card category. I predict that it could easily be detrimental to the clarity of the information enough that it would not be a good option, but I really like the grunge/worn look aesthetic of the illustrations and background and applying it to the other parts could make the design more cohesive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanhueza at GAME-O-GAMI
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how the cards are coming out! The artwork you have shown so far is very pretty, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
It was an excellent decision to maintain the script font for the card titles and subtitles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sobel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The illustrations, faction names, and card designs are setting a very cohesive and appealing tone. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your kind comments.

homsar wrote:
I personally liked it better with the serif font used for the card titles and the script font used only for the subtitles and card categories. I liked the increased legibility and it also made each card seem more balanced having that font at both the top and bottom.

I tried that, but ultimately decided I like the script font better at top. The card effect text at bottom is the only one, you need to actually read during the game. Other text is just to get you in the mood and theme.

homsar wrote:
I'd also like to see a version of the cards where you add some more visible texture to the cleaner parts like the text, icons, top ribbon, and colour field behind the card category. I predict that it could easily be detrimental to the clarity of the information enough that it would not be a good option, but I really like the grunge/worn look aesthetic of the illustrations and background and applying it to the other parts could make the design more cohesive.

Those parts actually have some crudge in them too, but it doesn't show up too well on the screen. It's deliberately really subtle to increase clarity as you guessed.

Woud there be any native English speaking fellows who would like to assist with proofreading the card texts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad you tried those options out already.

Also, I'll help with proofreading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Ezell
United States
Southaven
Mississippi
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
dreadfulgames.com
mbmb
Looking great! I like the headers and card type identifiers in the ovals. Looking nice and cohesive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have laid out the rules. Any feedback on the content and visual layout is greatly appreciated! Keep in mind the rules are prototype rules and some illustrations are placeholder art. Rules can be found here.

Don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter if you want to keep up to date with the game's progress! I will send a newsletter once the KickStarter project is nearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got two variations on the logo. Which one do you guys prefer? I'll share my opinion after yours to prevent any kind of bias.

I've had hard time designing a logo I would be happy with. All suggestions are welcome! It needs to deliver a message of medieval game with slight fantasy elements. The main focus of the game are animal shaped merchants.

Option #1

Option #2

Added a poll, see below.

Poll: Logo variation poll
Which logo you prefer?
Option #1
Option #2
      19 answers
Poll created by Liuhuparta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.