Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Blood Rage vs Lord of the Ice Garden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
As in the title.

I own LotIG and really like it but BR seems so tempting. The thing that keeps me away from backing Blood Rage is the level of similarity between the two games.

Also, what I like about LotIG is the lack of ANY randomness or hidden information. Blood Rage seems to be close but - similar to many people in the previous posts - I'm not really convinced about the drafting part.

Does anybody have experience with both games (e.g. playtesting)? If not perhaps experience with similar games (maybe Chaos in the Old World) which bear similarities to Blood Rage?

Would be grateful for any comments. I just wouldn't like to end up with two games occupying exactly the same time / audience / mechanics slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Ice Garden actually looks like a better game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dislike all elements of luck, hidden information, and card drafting, then LotIG is undoubtedly a better game for you.

I love small amounts of luck, hidden information and card drafting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
It's a matter of personal taste, of course. I can't stand perfect information games because I know the most skilful player will always win, so it's not even worth playing because the outcome has already been determined before the game even comes out of the box. Chaos, uncertainty, interaction, bluffing... these things, when combined with skill and strategy make for the kind of game experience I most enjoy.

I playtested BR and I thought it was awesome. But I would never recommend it to someone who dislikes hidden information in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, I was put off by the apparent complexity of the rules from Lords of the Ice Garden. I've already dragged my gaming group through so many complex rule explanations. And for some reason, there's always somebody new at the table who hasn't heard the rules yet.

So when I find a game that mixes all the right ingredients and still manages to keep things simple, I simply feel relieved (and stupidly ecstatic). Blood Rage performs brilliantly in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that I've read through the rules once, and they seem very elegant and simple. I'm pretty sure I could teach/play the game without having to look up rules questions very often. That's a huge plus to me!

Oh, and I'll chime in and add that I also hate perfect information in games. But I'd urge you to keep in mind that this hidden information isn't as hidden as in other games. It's drafting, so you know the cards you're passing around. Also, if someone loses a fight, they keep the card, which is powerful information to have! I wish that happened in Cosmic Encounter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies - the hidden information / randomness is indded done in a good way in Blood Rage.

Nevertheless, I believe I will stick to Lord of the Ice Garden for some time - I will definitely have many sleepless night due to the KS Exclusives but currently I'm struggling with finding enough time with putting any game onto the table more than 3 times The current USD-EUR exchange rate also doesn't help.

Once again thanks for all the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.