Popular Tags: recommendations [+] sports [+] [View All]
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently own Street Soccer and enjoy it, though I don't think my kids find it as fun. They are looking more for something resembling soccer as they know and play.

Please make recommendations for what is a good soccer boardgame. Is TakTiks 2006 worthwhile?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one soccer game to own - Subbuteo.
This is the closest thing to real life soccer around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier this year I volunteered to play test Soccer Tactics World that Silkestone talks about above.

As an non-biased reviewer, I have to say that Soccer Tactics World is one of the BEST sports games available right now. IMHO, Soccer Tactics World must be in the library of any soccer fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
After Streetsoccer, which is an excellent strategic 5-a-side game, you've only really got two choices:

Soccer Tactics World, which is a great simulation of an 11-a-side game, and once you have all the rules memorized (after a couple of games) becomes a superb, fast-paced fun-filled game, which includes a lot more of the rules of the real game.

or

The World Cup Game, which is also excellent but very different: This is a simulation of a World Cup tournament, each player (from 3 to 16 players) looks after the interests of a few teams, but can influence any game by playing attack, defence, goal, offside tokens, etc onto any game in progress. All games in a round are played at the same time, and the game gets really tense and fun as the games come to an end.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://ekted.blogspot.com/2006/11/subbuteo.html

That google video is cool. I can't get it as I don't have room for a 4' x 3' soccer table. Although I envy those who do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh Subbuteo - wonderful game, my granddad bought it for me for christmas when I was about 10! He got me the Bristol Rovers team (c'mon the rovers!) and also the Arsenal team (one of the reasons I'm still a gunner!).
We used to play on the way to school, drop in at a mates house and have a quick half before school, it changed as I got older, we used to drop into the local on the way home for a quick half then :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Kienzle
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of Subbuteo as a kid. My big problem was that the guys kept flying off the table and breaking on the hard floor. What can I say -- my game was always power over finesse. Keep that in mind if you're planning on playing with kids.

There is a guy in the US who sells all sorts of equipment: http://www.subbuteousa.com/ The front page says that it's a collector's site, but if you dig a bit you can find everything you need to play. He seems awfully helpful on the table soccer message boards too.

I just got Fussball Taktik 2006 and it looks like a lot of fun. The components are top notch. The rules seem a little daunting for my 6 year old, but she's really looking forward to picking up her first red card.

My recommendation for kids: a really sturdy foosball table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently ekted lives in my basement...

BTW: That guys name is Paul Eyes. Here's the subpage where he sells subbuteo supplies: http://www.subbuteousa.com/TableSoccerSuppliesForSale.html

That is where I got the supplies to make my table that's pictured here (and on ekted's blog). He's a nice guy and I had no problems purchasing from him (I used paypal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Canadian site is in Calgary and can be found here:

http://www.worldtablesoccer.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the recommendations above. My 2 centavos from some of the games that I know:

Football Tactics 2006: I love this game. Fast paced, accurate with the real thing, easy rules. All around a very fun game.

StreetSoccer: is another great game but you already know it.

Football Champions: not as sharp as the other games but it has the real players.

The World Cup Game: simulates the real tournament, is really good and gets the job done.

Wembley: simulates a cup type club tournament. It is good but The WC Game is better.

Hystericoach: is the only party soccer game I know and it is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
err, sorry but there are ONLY 2 soccer games to-die-for:

1) subbuteo. yes, we've played this way out in the other side of earth since the 70s, saw it die after pc/ps2 soccer was invented, but now seeing strong revival together with eurogames.

we used to buy everything from waddington's in those days, but now get everything from http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/

they deliver airmail to us all the way in Malaysia, at a reasonable cost, so i assume it would be even cheaper to get to to the states.

just be aware that the game has undergone some changes in components, some for the better, some for the worse (imho at least):
- pitch: you must get the astro pitch!!! the cloth pitch "moves", is very fast when laid on a table without any under support (like a thick blanket), creases when you fold it, and the new astro pitches solve all of these with its perfect rubbery bouncy surface.
- teams: the newer figures come with a flat base, where the original/older figures come with the more rounded ("half cup") bases. while the flat base makes shooting easier, it is much harder to swerve the figure, which was what really made the game. so, please get the rounded figures as many people who play with the flat bases get a very different (and usually less satisfying) experience.
- balls: now come in 2 sizes, large and small. though the product information say that the "small" balls are for advanced players, i suggest that you use these as the big ones look like they are really for absolute beginners or very young kids.
- goal posts: please buy the ones that are "based" (ie. have a base, not just standing on 4 legs). this base is critical to pinning the goal posts down to the pitch so that you don't suffer from "moving goal posts"!
- fence: in the earfly days, this seemed like a fancy accessory. however, believe one of the posts - your players will fly off the pitch! the fence just keeps most of them in (especially the balls, which will crack if they hit your uncarpeted floor!) most of the time.

2) premier table soccer. this was produced in the 70s/80s, but has long disappeared from the scene. i have tried many google searches but can't find anything! not even on ebay! i assume the producers have folded, and this games has really vanished from the face of earth!

sadly, its a great game, with two major advantages over subbuteo:
- it is not "flick to kick" thus allowing far less learning curve than subbuteo, which requires a lot of skill!
- the figures come with a dual face base, sloping on one side and flat on the other, allowing a figure to chip, lob, and yes... send a free kick over a wall and into the goal - sheer magic!!! subbuteo could never really do this with the same finesse!

play-wise, it is more a tactical game though it doesnt have the free flow nature of subbuteo. the pitch is divided into zones and so long as you pass the ball within these zones, you retain control (unless of course the ball last touches your opponents figure).

if you every find a copy - buy it! comes with video instruction as well. sadly again, no expansions ever made it i think for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
And one anti-recommendation, just for contrast: Die Bar-Bolz-Bande: Das Würfelspiel - all the strategy and tactics of LCR in a Soccer-themed package!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Partin
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To broaden considerations a bit, let me mention three I own that I've written extensive comments on at BGG: Soccer Strategy (Fatti di Calcio), Strato-Football, and Das dampfhammerharte Fussball-Spiel.

--Richard Partin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.