Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: multiple-intelligences [+] [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepper is a game meant to model the game kickball and it does so pretty well.

Components
52 cards in a nice metal tin

Game Play
The play is fairly simple. The cards are divided into 5 colors with ten cards from 1-5 twice. Blue and Orange each have an additional card with a 6 on it.
The dealer starts and after that play continues with the last person to receive a card.
On each turn a player may either pick up all the cards in front of him and play 1 card in front of any other player or play a card from his or her hand in front of any other player. The new card must have either a higher value or be the same color as the card just played in front of him. If he can’t play a card from his hand, he must pick up the stack.
The game ends when a player plays his last card and the person he plays it to cannot respond without picking up a card.

Intelligences
This review is part of a series of reviews I’m doing as I evaluate games my wife may use in her classroom or that I’m using with my Boy Scouts. Apart from the normal review, I try to identify the kinds of intelligence that the game will use. For an explanation of multiple intelligences, see: my blog post at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786097

Linguistic
The game is completely language free, which means linguistic skills are unimportant.

Logical-Mathematical
The game does rely on number recognition, but mathematics is not really involved.

Bodily Kinesthetic
Although not critical, the idea that this game is modeled on kickball may make it more appealing to those with a keen bodily-kinesthetic sense.

Interpersonal
The game can take on a very “take that” feel, so having the skills to encourage players to play cards on others can prove important.

Naturalist
The game requires grouping of similar items and may appeal to the naturalist.

Age Appropriateness
There is nothing inappropriate in the game. It can be easily handicapped by allowing younger player to play equal or greater cards or by having more experienced players start with more cards (this can backfire if the younger player can’t play).

Overall
The game is a great deal of fun although it is probably best to just play to “no cards left” with younger children to avoid confusion about the victory condition. It does an excellent job of focusing on color and number recognition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kicball comes to cards
Nice review. I agree with you to just play until there are no more cards, especially with younger kids. The rule about winning if you play your last card after someone tried to play their last card on you is only there to prevent a win by the first player (if they have the right cards). With 3 or more players anyway, I wouldn't think this would be too much of a problem. Only less casual gamers are going to notice that and they've got a lot of other filler games to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.