Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: multiple-intelligences [+] [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix Up is a nice connection game where players need to score either 4 in a row (orthogonally or diagonally) or have 4 in a square. The interesting part is that the players don't use x's and o's. One player tries to win using shapes and the other uses colors.

Components
54 tiles evenly split amongst 3 shapes (18 of each shape) and 3 colors (18 of each color), game board with easel and storage compartment, and 2 markers showing shape or color. The tiles have a nice weight and feel and the shapes and colors are distinctive.

Game Play
One player is color and the other is shape. The shape player wins by getting 4 shapes together, the color player wins by getting colors. Winning is horizontal, diagonal, vertical, or a 2 x2 grid.
Players take turns choosing and placing a piece on the board. The board is tilted, so pieces must be played bottom to top, like Connect 4. The winner is the first person to achieve his goal.

Intelligences
This review is part of a series of reviews I’m doing as I evaluate games my wife may use in her classroom or that I’m using with my Boy Scouts. Apart from the normal review, I try to identify the kinds of intelligence that the game will use. For an explanation of multiple intelligences, see: my blog post at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786097

Logical-Mathematical
The game requires careful planning, so logical minds have an advantage.

Spatial
Being able to visualize the board in its current and future state is a key skill in the game.

Naturalist
Because the game revolves around set collection and recognition, naturalists do well at it.

Age Appropriateness
There is nothing inappropriate in the game. Although recommended for ages 8 and up, younger players can certainly compete with their parents.

Overall
This is a great game. It takes a fairly straightforward mechanic (tic-tac-toe) and combines it with set recognition, shapes, and colors to make a fun and educational game. It is reminiscent of Quarto, but is much better for younger kids as the attributes of the pieces are easier to understand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.