19 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: After Kaosball, I'll likely never buy a game from Cool Mini again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. The game play was lacking and they outright LIED about how long it takes to play (multiply their estimate by two).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's totally reasonable to not but come CMON but Kaosball still have seemed kinda interesting to me / seemed some people liked it and in regard of game play I thought that was the industry standard? =P

Haven't checked how this play. Saw some other head-line about how someone didn't thought it seemed good.

The 5th played "add-on" seem like a trick.

I'm watching the Myth Journeyman kickstarter but I've always thought the actual game play and setup seem so uninspiring and boring and backed the base game but haven't even opened it so .. Yeah .. I could likely spend money at better places.

Guess I wish I had bought Shadows of Brimstone instead but they messed it up with the Mine cart level. Sure I would likely not had bought it. But it ruined the whole project for me. And for them, in regard of me as customer at least =P. Kinda affected their whole company image for me (The zombie game has always seemed nice but they ruined that too by having the same but OLDER models in the latest games.. Keep 'em young!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
The title says it all. The game play was lacking and they outright LIED about how long it takes to play (multiply their estimate by two).

Of course people can buy or not buy a game based on whatever reason they want - its their money, but if you never buy games from a company who haven't produced at least 1 game that some people found lacking, or who had at least 1 game with inaccurate game times printed on the box, I'm not sure who you'd have left to buy games from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaosball is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your frustration with kaosball but I had the following experience:

I backed it and was very excited, and my first couple of plays was frustrating and left me feeling bad, feeling like I made a mistake buying it. I could not really see much fun in it, and the gameplay looked a bit confusing.

I insisted and played a few more matches, and then the game started to click in my head and in my friends heads.

After I would say 3 or 4 plays and the rules being a bit more intuitive since you have the experience, this is when I enjoyed it, and now I love the game, and we have some very interesting and fun moments.

I know this is not good usually for a game, if you do not enjoy it the first one or two matches, but that is what I got from it.

And you of course have all the rights not to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flipside... they made Arcadia Quest which is an amazing game that is probably one of the most fun games I've ever played. I guess I should back every single CMoN game they release now?

They usually release the rules and a gameplay video for their new games. Do some research and figure out if you'd like the game or not before backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get so defensive lol

rrrrupp wrote:
On the flipside... they made Arcadia Quest which is an amazing game that is probably one of the most fun games I've ever played. I guess I should back every single CMoN game they release now?

They usually release the rules and a gameplay video for their new games. Do some research and figure out if you'd like the game or not before backing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
iamadoorknob wrote:
Theoretically if you hate the gameplay then you would not be backing any more Eric Lang games, because CMON is just the publisher.

Now since Blood Rage is also an Eric Lang game, then ultimately you will arrive at the same place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
Don't get so defensive lol

rrrrupp wrote:

Really dude? You make a petulant, nonsensical thread, and then criticize someone when they ironically point out why your argument is awful? Way to be.

This game is designed by a very well-respected designer, and is a rework of an existing design, including elements he learned when designing other hugely successful games. Those signs point toward this being a very solid design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Really dude? You make a petulant, nonsensical thread, and then criticize someone when they ironically point out why your argument is awful? Way to be.

Before you get super upset at the guy, take a double look at his user name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Kaosball is great.

It's one of my groups favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A door knob, huh?
whazamean?

AndySzy wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Before you get super upset at the guy, take a double look at his user name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
...they outright LIED about how long it takes to play (multiply their estimate by two).
This is true for about every game. At least in our gaming group. The first couple of plays always took longer, yes sometimes two times longer, than what the box says. And then the more you play it, the more closer it gets to the official estimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
iamadoorknob wrote:
...they outright LIED about how long it takes to play (multiply their estimate by two).
This is true for about every game. At least in our gaming group. The first couple of plays always took longer, yes sometimes two times longer, than what the box says. And then the more you play it, the more closer it gets to the official estimate.

It is a known and unfortunately unavoidable problem in board game design. If a more realistic ("honest") number is written on the box fewer sales will be made since long play time turn people away. So the rule of thumb is to always assume 1.5 to 2x the printed times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
aliquis wrote:

I'm watching the Myth Journeyman kickstarter but I've always thought the actual game play and setup seem so uninspiring and boring and backed the base game but haven't even opened it so .. Yeah .. I could likely spend money at better places.

Guess I wish I had bought Shadows of Brimstone instead but they messed it up with the Mine cart level. Sure I would likely not had bought it. But it ruined the whole project for me. And for them, in regard of me as customer at least =P. Kinda affected their whole company image for me (The zombie game has always seemed nice but they ruined that too by having the same but OLDER models in the latest games.. Keep 'em young!)

I have myth and really like it. Yes, they messed up the KS and the rules are a bit too loose, but hopefully 2.0 rules are better. Haven't had time to read them yet.

Shadows of brimstone is currently on my table, unused. The multi part minis sucked, and again no time to read rules.

Zombicide isn't all that complex (haven't played S3 though), but really fun when the board starts filling up. You only need one of them though, not all 3.

Backing Blood rage and justifing it with "it's only 75, looks great and I don't have a game like this". Yes, owning Zombicide and Arcadia I know the gameplay probably won't be that complex, but sometimes you just want a game that doesn't take a week to learn the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadparrotelvis wrote:
...but sometimes you just want a game that doesn't take a week to learn the rules.

Amen to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Kaosball, and it's become our go-to game when there are just two of us. My chief objection is that the components are physically way too large. I wish they had made the whole thing more along the lines of the size of Guilds of Cadwallon -- and 5 minis per team, not 13 -- so it could fit in a desk drawer at work for play at lunchtime.

The end-of-the-half scoring phase isn't very thematic, either -- in a real team sport, things happen in real time, and fouls result in turnovers, free shots for the other team, player ejections, and so forth, and not delayed justice at the end. But that doesn't stop the game from being fun. And the different teams are different enough to add a lot of replay value. I just wish they didn't take up an entire Expedit bay; my collection is big enough that storage is at a premium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am backing the game, it looks like a decent concept and should be fun. A bonus for me is having the minis to play with another KS I am on. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/590134953/open-combat-m... So I consider it a twofer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Kaosball and am backing this at 105 for 5th expansion. Cant wait to talk to Eric about this at the CMON EXPO this year. Exciting times ahead!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.