Battlestations» Forums » General

Subject: How to handle 6+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
It is well possible that i've to manage possibly up to 7 players this weekend. Since they are new to the game there will only be a scout available, by far not enough life support for all the crew members. Has anyone tried to play missions with 2+ player ships. How should i scale this? I know PVP is a possible option, but i've not the time to create an interesting mission for two competing teams... and a simple shootout is not the thing i am looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrade the ship size so that there is enough L.S. and enough modules for everybody to have something to do.

Have some pregenerated characters ready in case some or all of your crew isn't into or up for creating characters.

Run a relatively simple mission such as BAD APPLE SHAKEDOWN CRUISE that has shipboard and ship to ship action. FIRST CONTACT is a relatively quick and simple mission (if not easy) but it lacks an enemy ship.

At least one time this week before your session setup the game by yourself using the pregens and run a few rounds. This will help you see the lay of the land and find out where you need rules help.

Make use of the play aids from the box. Hand them out as cheat sheets. There are also files available here on the geek as well as at www.battlestations.info

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I strongly recommend PVP as it's EASIER to plan for. Almost any mission is one crew against the other. For instance star pluse for PAX is a great PVP mission. You run the pulses, let the crews wail on each other, and there's actually a lot LESS for you to do because there's no NPCS. This is not a shoot-out, to win you must trust your scientist and his abilities.

Likewise, SPACE RACE from pax is a great PVP mission with no prep work needed from the REF. It's not a shoot out either.

Another option (and this comes from a person that run 10+ crews all the time) is to run one big ship, like a size 6 or 7. Beginning players can manage it when you consider that the "luck" of the team is going to run very high, the upgrades could mean up to 7 modules are upgraded before the mission, and you have enough players that can "assist" almost any action. The more players on a ship, the more successful the actions, at least I've noticed this.

There is one bit of HUGE advice I can give you. WARN the players if you are running npcs that the mission difficulty will run high. My game where I have 13 players they don't understand why and npc has a skill of 7 or 8, and when they attempt to board a ship and get hosed on a combat roll of 2 or 3, they get upset. That's just the way the ball bounces in games with lots of players. Remind them you don't get luck but generally speaking the npcs will have better primary skills than any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I forgot,

Where are you playing and how can I join?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
We are playing in my home town...Cologne. But with Warp Drive you should be there in no time, just brake when you see the twin towers of our cathedral.
Always glad to have new players...

PvP is not an option with some of my players, two of them are hardcore RPGs who can stand a real contest. But i am considering to play GCW with two different groups.... and trick them into PvP unknowingly, that is until the last mission comes up.....

Thanx for the advices, i think we will have fun tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I'd hop over there in my tentac shuttle but it's on the fritz again.

Tell us how it goes and you need any advice we played the GCW as one big group and we did it PVP.

Sin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.