King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just wondering what you all think.

I've played a very basic game with no alliances of Dune and loved it. I have yet to play Diplomacy.

I am just wondering what you all think of the similarities and contrasting points of these two highly rated games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I would think Dune with no alliances would not be Dune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune without alliances is indeed still Dune.
It may not be "Dune".... But it is still Dune at the very least.
Especially for people that are wanting to learn the basic game with a great taste in their mouths for going into the greater complexities that you would call "Dune".

Taking that into account .... I'm 'sorry' that I didn't make myself clear on the point of playing with no alliances in some noob games of Dune on the way to learning the more intricate rules.
I realize that a great number of you here are evangelical freaks when it comes to both of the games mentioned in the subject heading.

Geek Gods forbid that one as lowly as I step all over your games even inasmuch as asking questions of them....

I've played a lot of games and I know what makes a game a "Game".... I'm wondering, taking everything both you and I know about all of these games, which you people prefer and why.
I'm looking for comparisons and contrasts between the two. I'm just looking for some good conversation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
If you have six players, play Dune. If you have seven players, play Diplomacy (or Civilization). This might sound smartass, but it's true. All are great games, but they are by far best with a set number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.