One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Play with all 16 role tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a board game night after work one evening in the coming weeks and I'm thinking ONUW would be a good closer.

However there are 16 people coming (or have signed up so far) and I'm wondering apart from the possible space issue (where you have to interact with the cards during the opening narration) but would it be feasible to play using the full 16 token compliment in the box, despite it saying it's only good for 10 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well you could only play up to 13 people (without Daybreak) because you need the 3 roles in the middle - whose presence are important for certain roles, like Seer or Drunk.

The middle roles are also important for the Werewolves to bluff with. If all 16 roles are in play, the Werewolves can't bluff non-evil roles as easily, since somebody is guaranteed to contradict them no matter what they claim.

"OK, there are 5 people claiming to be innocent Villagers, clearly two of them are lying."

Sure, the Werewolves might still eke out a win by being more convincing than 2/3rds of the real Villagers, but it's not as easy as it was designed to be.

Regarding the space issue (also a legitimate concern) I think the easiest solution would be to have a moderator after all. The moderator can walk around the table and move or show cards to the acting player as indicated by silent hand gestures.

Edit: Alternately, and assuming you aren't opposed to player elimination, you could look up a rule set for regular Werewolf and play that using the ONUW role cards. Since you're probably going to want a moderator anyway, that would allow you to use all 16 roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe consider playing in pairs? 10 player games tend to be chaotic and it's hard to remember who claimed what. 8 player game, where each role has a pair controlling it should be manageable. And bluffing in tandem is a bit harder, so you'll have added layer of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of possibility...the game will be BORING. With Tanner/Minion/Doppleganger you will have too many contradictory stories and it will be impossible to unravel the truth. Why not making two separate groups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Nushura wrote:
Regardless of possibility...the game will be BORING. With Tanner/Minion/Doppleganger you will have too many contradictory stories and it will be impossible to unravel the truth. Why not making two separate groups?

In my experience, being able to unravel the truth is what makes the game boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right.

I really hoped this would have worked, but I forgot about the three in the middle.

Teams of team could work, but if someone didn't show up for one reason or another then the whole thing could fall apart.

Might pick it up anyway, but not for this event.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe consider Two Rooms and a Boom which I think you may be able to get print and play.

This assumes that you have the capacity for two separate playing areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, two rooms isn't an issue.

This was my other choice for a closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
Maybe consider Two Rooms and a Boom which I think you may be able to get print and play.

This assumes that you have the capacity for two separate playing areas.

This is much better for more players, unless you want to play two games with smaller groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
realchriswells wrote:

Teams of team could work, but if someone didn't show up for one reason or another then the whole thing could fall apart.

I don't really understand this. (I presume 'teams of team' is a brainfart and assume you're talking about splitting into 2?)

You're expecting 16, so even if 6 people didn't show up, you'd still have 10 (2x5 or 1x10).

The only issue with splitting up is that you won't play with everyone, unless you have some sort of breaks & rotation set up. (And the added cost of needing 2 copies.)

But the 2 groups could be formed 'on the fly'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.