Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, not my real life. I was blind but now I see.

Part of my happiness comes from having just recently discovered this type of board game. I've been playing real board games since 2002 when my cousin brought an ancient version of Settlers of Catan to a family Christmas. My mind was blown and I've been addicted ever since.

Probably the biggest reason that I stayed away from games like Imperial Assault is I didn't really even know they existed. I kind of took a break from board games while in the Navy and played a lot of Warhammer: 40K, but after getting out and saying goodbye to all my buddies that I had served and played with, it just wasn't fun anymore, so I sold my beautiful Eldar army.

I've since grown my board game collection, but I was always missing the feel of tactical combat. I didn't want to spend thousands to play 40K with strangers, so I thought I would always have this craving.

Then I started seeing advertisements for Star Wars: Imperial Assault. I clicked, I read, I salivated. Sure I knew there were miniature games out there like Descent, but for some reason my brain always just glossed over them, never giving these games a second glance as I continued to buy the "normal" board games.

After a long wait, I have recently acquired Imperial Assault and I am reinvigorated. I love it! It has awakened my stupid ignorant gamer soul that has been dying, thirsting for games like Imperial Assault.

I have since started growing with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), BattleLore (Second Edition) and I have never been so excited with new games before.

There wasn't really a huge point to this other than to share my enthusiasm for the game while publicly toasting it. So here's to you, Star Wars: Imperial Assault!

On a side note, where should I go next from here? I was thinking of Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients and Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't know what it is about these particular sort of games but I love them. I've got Star Wars IA, Descent 2nd edition, Claustrophobia and it's expansion. Just try not to get so addicted that you do what I did and scour the internet to build up an almost complete collection of Descent 1st edition.

I'm currently on the fence about the Shadows of Brimstone games. They're on my list but I'm not quite sure if I want to pull the trigger. I can say though that Claustrophobia is a good game. It has some interesting mechanics, it's pretty decently thematic, and I've had a good time playing it. Personally I think it could be seen as a lighter version of Descent or Star Wars IA. I don't think it's quite a rule heavy and it's not quite as involved. Not a bad thing mind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had the same feelings when I played Galaxy Defenders, so you may want to take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the games mentioned.

Brimstone is fully cooperative with a solo or multiple players all on the same team against the game driven monsters. The miniatures were a huge pain for non-miniature gamers to put together (they come on sprues). But if you enjoy assembling hordes of miniatures, Brimstone has LOTS.

My full review here: http://capsulereviews.com/shadows-brimstone-summary-review/

Claustraphobia is a great 2 player game but only exactly 2.

My review here: http://capsulereviews.com/claustrophobia/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I do love cooperative games, which is why I'm so interested in Shadows of Brimstone. I forgot all about Galaxy Defenders! I love the campaign idea in these games. It makes it so much more fun to carry something over to the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was thinking of Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

I really like shadows of Brimstone. If you enjoy rolling an absurd amount of dice at one time and an old western Lovecraftian theme I would recommend this game.

The one downside (although this can be alleviated to a certain extent if you utilize printer studio or the like) is that it is basically an RPG videogame on your table. Lots of xp calculations and little things to keep track of. Oh, and you may need a bigger table whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I have all the games mentioned.

Brimstone is fully cooperative with a solo or multiple players all on the same team against the game driven monsters. The miniatures were a huge pain for non-miniature gamers to put together (they come on sprues). But if you enjoy assembling hordes of miniatures, Brimstone has LOTS.

My full review here: http://capsulereviews.com/shadows-brimstone-summary-review/

Claustraphobia is a great 2 player game but only exactly 2.

My review here: http://capsulereviews.com/claustrophobia/

Thanks, I love short reviews!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd point out, though I'm sure you're aware, that technically there are two Shadows of Brimstone base games. City of Ancients and Swamp of Death. So if you take the plunge, you should probably get them both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cardician wrote:
Just thought I'd point out, though I'm sure you're aware, that technically there are two Shadows of Brimstone base games. City of Ancients and Swamp of Death. So if you take the plunge, you should probably get them both

Actually, I did not know that as I was focusing on City of Ancients, I just assumed the other one was an expansion. The good news is that I love doing research, so I'm happy to have more to read about.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SHADOWS OF BRIMSTONE!!!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
synchroneyes wrote:
The one downside (although this can be alleviated to a certain extent if you utilize printer studio or the like) is that it is basically an RPG videogame on your table. Lots of xp calculations and little things to keep track of. Oh, and you may need a bigger table whistle

See that boldness - SoB is an RPG in boxed miniatures game clothing!

I'm not an RPG player and this hit our table; at first I thought it was alright but then after 20 or so minutes in, my stats were all over the place and I was tracking on paper how much gold, xp, and darkstone I had. After 2 hours I began wondering what we were leading up to, given that we just kept rolling dice to enter the caves or swamp and I found that we just kept doing those things... till our characters died. I've heard some people are whipping up a campaign for SoB - personally I'd consider the game if/once that is complete.

For fully co-op miniatures games that kind of scratch that itch - I'd toss up the D&D adventure games (Drizz't, etc.) - very simple and fun. For team PvP one and done - I'd also toss out Last Night on Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I love Last Night on Earth and also have the Growing Hunger expansion.

It is kind of a tactical minis game... But it feels very different than IA to me. There have been a lot of complaints about IA for the rushed feeling of round limits. If that bothers you I think steering clear of LNOE is a good idea. There is combat, certainly, but in most missions combat isn't really something you want to engage in often. I played tonight with a guy hat just wanted to kill zombies with his revolver while they were playing a mission that required they find explosives and blow up spawning pits. He also really wanted it to be a "survival of the fittest" and "I win if I'm the last human" type of game, and played it so to the point that he would not pass off his second gun to a teammate when the chance came. Needless to say they all died, and I made side he was the first. Eventually there's nothing you can do if you refuse to run from the zombies...

It is a much simpler game with regard to actual combat, and you're much better off focusing your tactical abilities on avoiding zombies, or avoiding them until you're ready if you're playing "Die Zombies, Die."

Zombicide seems like a better option for someone wanting a tactical combat game themed around zombies, but I've never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm a sucker for these types of games, too...

Couple additions:

Another great one-v-many game is Level 7: Omega Protocol. A bit heavier than Descent 2/Imperial Assault, but also even more tactical.

For co-op, I'm very fond of Gears of War. It's not the new hotness and it seems to be going out-of-production at FFG, but it's a very solid tactical dungeon-crawlish type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the additions guys. I've never heard of most of those.

Level 7 [Omega Protocol] looks neat, but what makes it heavier than Imperial Assault in your opinion? It looks that as of now, Imperial Assault has a heaver weight rating to it (3.2 as opposed to 3.1)

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game: Sounds like fun. I love that story, mostly because it sounds like what would happen in real life. I enjoy games where you die like that, it makes for a great story. I also enjoy the pressure of feeling rushed in Imperial Assault, so I'll definitely look into that one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. Keep in mind I've only played a bit of each game so far. I have not played as the "GM" style player (Imperial Player for Star Wars, Overseer for L7) in either game, so these descriptions will be light on details.

Rules-wise it seems only slightly heavier, in that there's more to keep track of. The "GM" in both games has their creatures to watch for in both cases, but it seems like the Overseer in L7 typically has more abilities and options to track than their IP counterpart and managing the board seems to be a little more involved.

For the "heroes", there's definitely more to track. In L7, each character has several different stances to pick from each turn, which will affect their stats for that turn.

Tactically, all of these options add up. In addition to that, instead of a simple threat rating that usually increases by the same amount each turn, the Heroes generate "adrenaline" every time they take an action. This adrenaline then goes to the Overseer who uses it to power their actions.

Essentially the Heroes need to weigh every action carefully as everything they do will increase the Overseer's abilities to attack them back.

I think one area where SW:IA is a bit heavier is in the rules/options for the campaign. L7 sort of has a campaign option, but it's nowhere near as structured as the one in place for SW:IA.

Another area where SW:IA makes up a bit of the weight is in the dice. L7's dice are much simpler, you have black and red dice and there are varying number of hits on each. You just roll the dice and add up the hits. There's nothing like Surges to manage on that side.

All-in-all, they're both great games and even though they're both superficially similar as "SF-themed dungeon crawls", I'm glad that I own both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
In addition to that, instead of a simple threat rating that usually increases by the same amount each turn, the Heroes generate "adrenaline" every time they take an action. This adrenaline then goes to the Overseer who uses it to power their actions.

Essentially the Heroes need to weigh every action carefully as everything they do will increase the Overseer's abilities to attack them back.

I really think I'll love this aspect of the game.

Quote:
For the "heroes", there's definitely more to track. In L7, each character has several different stances to pick from each turn, which will affect their stats for that turn.

I love features like this in a game!

Thanks for weighing in. I really want to play more of the Imperial Assault campaign before I move on, but I already have lots of games with not enough time to play them, so what difference does another one make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
One last thing on LNOE before you drop $50 plus on it... I'm not at all suggesting to skip it as I love that game.

Luck plays a much bigger role in it than IA. You have to roll for movement, so there are turns when you need to get Sheriff Anderson 5 spaces to the truck to escape town and you role a 2. There are times when you're about to get attacked by 3 zombies and cornered in a building and you roll a 1. If inside you are allowed to roll for movement and then decide if you'd rather search the building, so maybe instead of going that one space that won't change your situation you search the building instead for something that might save you. You could come up with a baseball bat or fire extinguisher for instance (or something useless in that situation, like a lighter or ammo for the gun you don't have).

There are missions where you have to find specific items around town to win. You might find them immediately, or they might be on the bottom of the deck. I have won a scenario in as little as three turns becaise of this, and had ones that drug on a long time.

To me this matches with the thematics of zombie movies perfectly. The spry teen is always tripping when escape should have been simple for instance, but I know it frustrates some of my friends a lot. In IA the game doesn't tell you Garkhaan can't move what his physical ability says he can, but Johnny might frequently only move one space at a time in LNOE despite being a highly conditioned high school athlete.

Now a saling point... There is a zombie card in that game called "this could be our last night on Earth." I love this card, both thematically and in the game. Any time a male and female character share the same space the zombie player can make them miss their whole turn if he has that card. It's hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Dripping Springs
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
theredson wrote:
One last thing on LNOE before you drop $50 plus on it... I'm not at all suggesting to skip it as I love that game.

Luck plays a much bigger role in it than IA. You have to roll for movement, so there are turns when you need to get Sheriff Anderson 5 spaces to the truck to escape town and you role a 2. There are times when you're about to get attacked by 3 zombies and cornered in a building and you roll a 1. If inside you are allowed to roll for movement and then decide if you'd rather search the building, so maybe instead of going that one space that won't change your situation you search the building instead for something that might save you. You could come up with a baseball bat or fire extinguisher for instance (or something useless in that situation, like a lighter or ammo for the gun you don't have).

There are missions where you have to find specific items around town to win. You might find them immediately, or they might be on the bottom of the deck. I have won a scenario in as little as three turns becaise of this, and had ones that drug on a long time.

To me this matches with the thematics of zombie movies perfectly. The spry teen is always tripping when escape should have been simple for instance, but I know it frustrates some of my friends a lot. In IA the game doesn't tell you Garkhaan can't move what his physical ability says he can, but Johnny might frequently only move one space at a time in LNOE despite being a highly conditioned high school athlete.

Now a saling point... There is a zombie card in that game called "this could be our last night on Earth." I love this card, both thematically and in the game. Any time a male and female character share the same space the zombie player can make them miss their whole turn if he has that card. It's hilarious.

Haha, that is awesome.

While I love games that minimize luck, I am also like you where I love games that have luck, as long as it makes sense. In LNOE, I see luck easily fitting into the theme of chaos and zombies.

I appreciate the word of caution though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.