Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A single 50% shot at getting 1 billion dollars?

Or;

Ten 5% chances at getting 1 billion dollars? (Yes you can win more than once).

Poll
Would you rather a single 50% chance at getting $1 billion? Or ten 5% chances?
One single 50% chance
Ten 5% chances
      99 answers
Poll created by BimmyJim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
5% is 1 in 20, so I'd probably take 50% even with 5% for twenty chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might change my answer...

If I win a billion dollars in the first 5% roll...do I get the other 4 chances too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems so by the way the question is worded.

But why would you need more than a billion dollars? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather take the 50% chance.

With one 50% chance, you have a 50% chance of not getting it.

With any single 5% chance, you have a 95% chance of not getting it. However, the chances of not getting it all 10 times is .95*.95*.95... 10 times (IE, .95^10), which comes out to about a 60% chance of NOT getting it. So you have about a 10% higher chance with just the one pull.

However, if you get 14 or more tries, then you have better odds with the multiple 5% chances. (13 tries is a 51% chance of failure, 14 tries is a 48% chance of failure, or 52% chance of success).

MABBY wrote:
5% is 1 in 20, so I'd probably take 50% even with 5% for twenty chances.

For what it's worth, with 20 chances, your overall odds would be about 64% to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I did the math right, too, the chances of winning exactly twice with the ten 5% chances is about 7%. Not horrible odds, considering the reward, but not great. (three wins would be a lot smaller, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
If I did the math right, too, the chances of winning exactly twice with the ten 5% chances is about 7%. Not horrible odds, considering the reward, but not great. (three wins would be a lot smaller, of course).

Yeah. Since $1 billion would set you up for life I don't see the point in risking the lower chance of any payout in order to go for the slim chance of multiple billions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Yeah. Since $1 billion would set you up for life...

You have meager dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I'll take the 50% chance of winning once.

Here goes nothing...

1custom2{Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!;I'm sorry, you didn't win the billion.} -> ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!) -> ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 679962. SybotCB
  • 1custom2{Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!;I'm sorry, you didn't win the billion.} =
  • ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!) =
  • ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!)
  • Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:49 pm
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:

Here goes nothing...

SybotCB previously rolled 1custom2{Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!;I'm sorry, you didn't win the billion.} = ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!) = ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!)

Woohooo!!! Should I send you my mailing address for you to send my billion dollars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

Here goes nothing...

SybotCB previously rolled 1custom2{Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!;I'm sorry, you didn't win the billion.} = ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!) = ( Congratulations you are a WINNER!!!!)

Woohooo!!! Should I send you my mailing address for you to send my billion dollars?

Someone will fax you the cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I'd rather take the 50% chance.

With one 50% chance, you have a 50% chance of not getting it.

With any single 5% chance, you have a 95% chance of not getting it. However, the chances of not getting it all 10 times is .95*.95*.95... 10 times (IE, .95^10), which comes out to about a 60% chance of NOT getting it. So you have about a 10% higher chance with just the one pull.

Yup, did the same analysis and came to the same conclusion. The key is that winning 1 billion dollars once gives me everything I could possibly need. So I'd much rather increase my chances of winning at least one time (the first option) than increase my chances of winning multiple times (the second option).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a real billion, or is it just a sum with a future value of a billion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar question passed through my mind; would you rather have a 50% chance to win one million dollars, or a 5% chance to win a hundred million dollars? The expectation value of the latter is tenfold that of the prior, but I suspect that other factors outweigh the raw arithmetic.

(Too lazy to make a poll on my tablet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
A similar question passed through my mind; would you rather have a 50% chance to win one million dollars, or a 5% chance to win a hundred million dollars? The expectation value of the latter is tenfold that of the prior, but I suspect that other factors outweigh the raw arithmetic.

(Too lazy to make a poll on my tablet)

I'd probably go with the 1 million. While not quite on the scale as 1 billion (or even 100 million), it would be enough for me to pay off my house, and have plenty left over for savings. Maybe not enough that I could live off the interest forever, but enough where I wouldn't have to worry about too much if I wasn't stupid with how I spent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is that the answer is different if I am the only one that gets the chance, or it's everyone in the country. In the second case, you have to think about the brutal devaluation of the dollar, as 50% of the population becomes a billionaire.

If I did not win the billion, the extra money out there, plus some skills on things people want to do, would make me go back up in value relatively quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd take the 50% chance.

One shot...get it over with. Don't taunt me with multiple grabs at the brass ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.