Ludovic GIMET
France
SAINT JUST D'AVRAY
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We think of trying this game tonight. But how many players could be the best configuration for beginners ?

Thanks for your ideas,

Ludo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game scales well for three to five players. At each level, there are different numbers of tiles used for the board, so that the space is proportionate to the number of players.

The game takes longer with more players, but is still doable in around two hours, maybe a bit more for your first game.

I think any number from 3-5 would be just fine. Just recognize that more players = more time, so there will be a bit of patience as people figure out what they're doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game plays best with 0 players

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are familiar with the rules 3-5 players are fine. The board size scales with the number of players and with each player taking turns doing 1 action, the game moves along quickly and there is little downtime. Also you have fewer actions in the beginning so it gives players a chance to get the hang of the game.

My very first game was with 3 players learning the game together, but I had read the rules a couple of times prior to playing. I have also had games of 4 or 5 players with 2 or 3 being new players. The 3 player game was 2 hours and the 5 player game with 3 new players was about 2 1/2 hours, although 1 player had PA (Paralysis Analysis), so it probably would have taken more then 2 hours anyway.

If you are all new then it will be a good game as you will discover the game together and different strategies will become apparent.

Enjoy, its a good game, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, this is a really fun little game. I think it even palys well with 2 players using 5 terrain tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
... I think it even palys well with 2 players using 5 terrain tiles.

I agree about the 2 player. I have played Tempus with my son and the 2 player game can be competative using a reduced number of tiles for the island.

I think that this game scales well to a different number of players because you change the size of the island you are playing on. You can even effect the type of island. In a 2 player game use a lot of tiles that have mountains and you and the other player will be fighting for the good locations to occupy and build cities. You can even have a more friendly game by removing the mountainous tiles when you are playing with fewer then 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Aparicio
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello !!

I was a bit upset because of the suitable number of players to start playing my brand new Tempus copy. From a first look at the rules, it seemed to me it would be meatier with 5 players, the best way to explore all the posibilities Tempus offers.
But after reading your opinions, I'm not afraid if my first play is a three players one. Thank you !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The down time in five player games isn't worth the slightly increased player interaction, IMO. Three or four is the way to go.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony brotherton
United Kingdom
orpington
kent
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered this game (with 4 players) and we all agreed that it had a huge amount of replay. The downtime between turns was not excessive. In much the same fashion as Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, you spend a lot of time during other players turns considering your options and maximising your position.

If played with 5 players with mixed ability this could become a bit excessive, but with experienced players it should be fine. Total game time including learning the rules 3.5 hours (were a bit slow and need plenty of loo breaks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.