Subject: Resupply at Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again! I have two more little questions on the (optional) Resupply rules [14.9]:

1) The Procedure for resupplying according to [14.9.1] is a little ambiguous. Do you

1a) Check with a d6 whether a Resupply is generally possible ("1" = yes) and only if this check is successful (i. e. the U-Boat actually tries to rendezvous with the "Milk Cow"), you then check for encounters? (I understand that in case there is an encounter of any kind, the resupply will still fail/not take place!)

1b) Or is resupplying even more dangerous, so that you always immediately check for encounters, even after your resupply check was unsuccessful ("2"-"6" result)? Maybe to reflect that the transmitted radio messages asking for possible replenishments might have been picked up and decoded by the Allies? devil

2) I don't quite grasp what rule [14.9.3] is trying to tell me:

"A U-Boat that successfully rolls to replenish torpedoes can only do so if it has available capacity for adding torpedoes and it is in range of the allowable torpedo mix permitted, ..."

Okay, so I understand that in a successful Resupply operation, you roll an additional d6 to see if (in addition to fuel and deck gun ammo) the Milk Cow also has fresh torpedoes in stock for you:

1 = d6 additional G7a torpedoes
2 = d6 additional G7e torpedoes
3 = up to 2 additional torpedoes of both types
4-6 = no torpedoes available

=> And you obviously roll another d6 in case of result "1" or "2", to determine the exact amount of torpedoes, but... ehhhm... "in range of your mix"??? What is that supposed to mean? Do I just have to check for the usual limits (as defined in [4.5]) and replenish up to these figures? Or may I not replenish at all, if I'm unlucky and roll a high number which would exceed my allowed mix (that would seem rather silly)?

Maybe someone can illustrate the true meaning of this passage by giving an example (in case I'm completely off track)?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
Hello again! I have two more little questions on the (optional) Resupply rules [14.9]:

1) The Procedure for resupplying according to [14.9.1] is a little ambiguous. Do you

1a) Check with a d6 whether a Resupply is generally possible ("1" = yes) and only if this check is successful (i. e. the U-Boat actually tries to rendezvous with the "Milk Cow"), you then check for encounters? (I understand that in case there is an encounter of any kind, the resupply will still fail/not take place!)

1b) Or is resupplying even more dangerous, so that you always immediately check for encounters, even after your resupply check was unsuccessful ("2"-"6" result)? Maybe to reflect that the transmitted radio messages asking for possible replenishments might have been picked up and decoded by the Allies? devil

Thanks in advance!

I've always played it as 1a.

As for #2 I'll have to reread the rules, but I don't remember having an ambiguity when I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
Miraculix wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I've always played it as 1a.

As for #2 I'll have to reread the rules, but I don't remember having an ambiguity when I played it.

Alright, I just re read it and it says "up to", meaning that you take as many as you are able. Remember the allowed "mix" is listed on each uboat's sheet.

Ex: Type VIIC - total load of 14 torpedos, 8 G7a's & 6 G7e's.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

I am not quite sure where the "up to your mix" comes from. (That might have supposed to have read "up to your maximum load"

Bottom line is, the 1a procedure is correct.

And as for #2, you can take UP to your load limit. Obviously if you luck out and roll a "1" then a "6" for six extra G7as, for example, but only have 4 empty spaces, you can only take 4 onboard. Two would have to stay behind on the Milk Cow for the next U-boat. You obviously have to have somewhere to PUT the resupply torpedoes.

If you have 4 empty tubes but only have 2 torps offered to you, well then, take them both. Etc.

It's basically simple. IF you get a resupply offered, then roll for an encounter, if none, then proceed and see how many torpedoes you are offered. Take as many as you have room for (empty spaces onboard.) Then proceed to extend your patrol.

I don't see this as being overly difficult, tbh. But certainly it could have been worded better, so I apologize for that.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Now it's all clear. Guess it was just a bit of a language problem on my behalf (in the sense that I was reading too much into it!).

@Greg: No need to apologize for such a trifle. This game is great! I've only played two complete games so far, but enjoyed them both very much (even though my VIIA was put to the ground for good by the RAF on my very first patrol laugh). Rarely has any solo game created the illusion of such an intense atmosphere (or tension) while I play it. The rulebook is also very well organized.

The only criticism I would pass on it, is that in some places, there is just too much information given! This is probably well-meant, but it can be a bit tedious/confusing for players (like me) who are new to the game and need to look everything up and double check in several places to fully comprehend all the exceptions/modifiers for a given scenario. It seems, 14.9.3 is just an example of that - maybe it would have been enough to just list one general sentence like "When resupplying, you can neither exceed your U-Boat's torpedo load nor violate the allowed mix of G7a/G7e torpedoes (as stated on your play mat)".

But this could of course just be a matter of personal taste or in my case: a personal bias to always want to process short, precise, flow-chart-style information (I used to be a programmer in one of my former lives... whistle). So: No offense meant!

=> And thanks to BGG and the great files here in the download section (especially Lines' excellent flow chart for encounters), my hunger for the above has already been more than adequately sated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

Well, the important part to me, is that you're enjoying the game

It makes sense you are/were a programmer, your questions are very analytic. As you can probably tell, I am NOT I tend to be more creative/touchy-feely I guess.

Fortunately, I am working with a team of pretty smart folks who ARE analytic and more attention to detail than I am. Helps keep our work at least MOSTLY accurate.

Take care, and dive faster next time

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The VIIC mat says:

Torpedo Load 14
8 G7a's & 6 G7e's

but it also says:
May adjust mix by 3

So I think the "mix" refers to replacing G7e's for G7a's, if that's your preference. For example, here you couldn't have any more than 11 G7a's. Nor can you exceed the capacity of the Reloads compartment. I would like it's the same rules as loading torpedoes during refit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.