GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fleet Captain Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Voltz
msg tools
So, I've got a pretty simple question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere. Can you perform a fleet captain's ability if your ship has an aux power token on it?

My initial instinct is no... but then again, Voyager seems to be able to use it's ability over and over again, doesn't it?

If it helps, I'm specifically thinking of the Fed fleet captain resource. I got the idea to put it on the NX-01 (with Data and Enhance Hull plating) as a kind of support ship. But that won't work if the aux power tokens interfere with the Fleet Captain abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it is granting an action, it cannot be performed under Auxiliary Power. The fact that it is a free action doesn't matter. By contrast, the Enhanced Hull Plating or Voyager's ability are not actions, so they do not care if you have APTs or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From FAQ:

5. A ship that loses the ability to perform Actions also loses the ability to perform free Actions, including free Actions granted outside the ship's Perform Actions step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The exception would be the Independent (Federation) Fleet Captain, which allows an extra movement. It doesn't call the extra movement an Action or Free Action, so it would still be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Voltz
msg tools
I saw that FAQ quote, too, but the part that confused me is that the text on the Fed Fleet Captain card reads as follows: "After you move, you may target 1 friendly Federation ship within range 1-3 (or your own ship). The target ship immediately removes 1 Disabled Upgrade Token from 1 of its disabled upgrades as a free action."

So--and this is what confuses me--if the NX has the fleet captain, but targets, say, the Excelsior, isn't it the Excelsior that's performing the free action?

(I don't mean to argue with the current interpretation of the rules or whatnot, it just puzzles me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
djvoltz wrote:
I saw that FAQ quote, too, but the part that confused me is that the text on the Fed Fleet Captain card reads as follows: "After you move, you may target 1 friendly Federation ship within range 1-3 (or your own ship). The target ship immediately removes 1 Disabled Upgrade Token from 1 of its disabled upgrades as a free action."

So--and this is what confuses me--if the NX has the fleet captain, but targets, say, the Excelsior, isn't it the Excelsior that's performing the free action?

(I don't mean to argue with the current interpretation of the rules or whatnot, it just puzzles me)

Yes, the targeted ship has to be able to perform actions. The "target" portion of the reference isn't an Action, so if your Fleet Captain's ship has an APT, any of your other applicable ships can benefit from the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.