Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get one of these games for Christmas. It will be played primarily 2 player although more may play once in a while. Price difference is not an issue. Which game would you recommend and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny you should ask right now. Over the past year, my circle has fallen in love with Razzia, to the point where we'd have informal tournaments over lunch. It's fast-paced, easy to get into, and full of Knizia's maddening decision-gates. So, if you were to ask me a couple weeks ago, I would've touted Razzia.

But now...thanks to Gabriel Rocklin's brilliant (and free) downloadable AI version of Ra...now I'm not so sure. Yes, 80% of the rules are the same for each, but those "poison tiles" (unrest, funeral, etc.) really add another layer of depth and angst to the gameplay. Now you have to balance the good with the bad, and just as some tiles are more valuable to some players than others, any given poison tile could be disasterous for Player A, but could be completely harmless for Player B.

So I'm now beginning to suspect that, for all the love Razzia has received in my group, that Ra is probably the better game.

If you haven't tried Rocklin's version, by all means download it pronto:

http://snapper.rooms.cwal.net/ra.zip

By the way, I've never tried Razzia with two players, but I have a funny feeling that both games work better with at least three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Ra two players, but I have played Razzia! two players many times, and I find that it works quite well.

The poison tiles *do* mean there can be a larger swing in the possible value of a set for different people, but that's not necessarily an advantage. I think it just means that people are more likely to get sets cheaply, especially in a 2 player game.

However, you can simply remove them from the set. In fact, you can play Razzia! with a Ra set by just removing some of the tiles, as it just has more of all of them, plus the addition of the disaster tiles. And 10 Ra tiles per round instead of 7; again easily fixed.

Razzia! is a little bit cheaper, but Ra is definitely more flexible. I think you'll be quite happy with Razzia! as a 2 player game, or with more, but since you say the price differenc doesn't matter to you, I'd suggest getting Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Razzia, but RA is not good with two. Three is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Why I like Razzia better:

1) The colored card borders are a much clearer graphic indicator of what goes with what than the busy graphics on the Ra Tiles.

2) Because there are no poison tiles it's a friendlier, breezier game.

3) Because it's mostly just a deck of small cards it's more portable than Ra.

As for how they compare for 2-player, I don't know. Some here say that it works fine as 2-player but I think the whole auction element would suck with only 2 players (that goes for any auction game).

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good. Ra is better by a mile though. I think they are both weak with 2... but work... barely. With 3 they both shine, but Ra is just a ton better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Both are good. Ra is better by a mile though. I think they are both weak with 2... but work... barely. With 3 they both shine, but Ra is just a ton better.

Seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Ra, but I've played 2p Razzia! 10 or 11 times. I like it a lot. The coloured-bordered/well-illustrated cards do indeed make it easy to assess what's up for bid. I tried the AI Ra and was quite confused as to what's what. (Nothing a good player aid can't sort out, I know.)

Does box-size matter to you? Razzia! is in a really great little box, halfway in between the size of Coloretto and Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:

Thirded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Razzia really is "Ra without disasters", then I don't see why Ra would be so much better. So far, the disaster tiles have added nothing interesting to my Ra games. In my 5-player games, the disaster tiles usually end up making it so none of the players want the lot. The net effect is there are less tiles won overall, since players just draw tiles (and Ra tiles) until the set is flushed. The only "benefit" that I have noticed is when one player is left alone, they not only risk drawing Ra tiles, but disaster tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aristides mytaras
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mb
slightly different experience here,
disaster tiles make the lot more approachable to players that have nothing to lose by them, I'd even go as far as to call it a balancing mechanism for players left behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Hoppe
Germany
Braunschweig / City of Lions
flag msg tools
mbmb
aristid wrote:
slightly different experience here,
disaster tiles make the lot more approachable to players that have nothing to lose by them, I'd even go as far as to call it a balancing mechanism for players left behind.

That is also my experience. With four players, I think Razzia! is faster and more brutal for players left behind. I don't think this is a problem though. For three players, I think RA has more variety, but people in my gaming group keep requesting Razzia! more. They say, they can better cope with the art, though I don't see the point, because to me, the tiles in RA have a really nice and tidy layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I can see to choose Razzia over Ra is portability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.