Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Dayton, OH, Post-Turkey Day Game Fest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ohio [+] [View All]
Jamie McQuinn
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday, November 24
11am - 9pm
@ Wexford Hill Hobbies

Open gaming, with emphasis on some of the longer games we cannot fit into our usual Friday evening game nights.

Advanced Civilization starting at noon.

Manifest Destiny anyone? History of the World?

More info at: http://game-day.org
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How far is Wright State from the game store?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie McQuinn
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtoh...

or

http://tinyurl.com/yd3nkc

Around 10 miles from WSU

Planned events:

AH Advanced Civ at noon

Manifest Destiny at 3:00

Open boardgaming the rest of the day.

11am - 9pm

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie wrote:
Friday, November 24
11am - 9pm
@ Wexford Hill Hobbies

Open gaming, with emphasis on some of the longer games we cannot fit into our usual Friday evening game nights.

Advanced Civilization starting at noon.

Manifest Destiny anyone? History of the World?

More info at: http://game-day.org


What game stores are in Dayton these days? When I went to UD in the late 80's/early 90's, I frequented The Tin Soldier (which, I have heard, is no more).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie McQuinn
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHH is the only store in the Dayton area (that I know of) that focuses on games. Their biggest business appears to be roll playing and miniatures, but their boardgame section continues to grow.

There are several comic book shops that also carry games... Such as Bookery Fantasy in Fairborn, and Bell Book & Comic in Dayton.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie wrote:
WHH is the only store in the Dayton area (that I know of) that focuses on games. Their biggest business appears to be roll playing and miniatures, but their boardgame section continues to grow.

There are several comic book shops that also carry games... Such as Bookery Fantasy in Fairborn, and Bell Book & Comic in Dayton.


That's a bummer. I'd heard from one of the FLGS' in Cincinnati that a store in Dayton closed this past year.

I remember well travelling on the bus from UD down 48 all the way to Centerville to visit The Tin Soldier, and it was a revelation finding a store that specialized in boardgames, wargames, RPGs, plastic models and miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mtlawson wrote:
I remember well travelling on the bus from UD down 48 all the way to Centerville to visit The Tin Soldier, and it was a revelation finding a store that specialized in boardgames, wargames, RPGs, plastic models and miniatures.


I spent much time in the Tin Soldier, back in the day. Mostly playing Battletech. 'twas a fine, fine place. Sniff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the 80's and 90's spent many a time at the Soldier playing Star Fleet Battles. And before that we played at the Black Forest Hobby Shop which closed in 88 or 89.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I decide to stay in CA for Thanksgiving, and then I find out there's a game fest back home? Man, bad timing... enjoy and be thankful
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... to continue this thread hijack...

We lived in Dayton in the mid-80's, back when the Tin Soldier was a smaller shop in a sort of upscale mini-mall. I recall a cigar shop and a candy store in there too. As middle school students, we used to walk a half-hour to the plaza from our house. Ah... the hours spent picking out lead minatures, browsing books, and choosing our next game or module. We met some great friends there. Plus the owners were nice folks.

We moved out of the area and it moved to a large strip mall. It was a good move, but I think it got caught in the Magic crash of the 90's.

Eye-Level Entertainment owes a lot to the Tin Solider. Here's to a great FLGS.

Hope you folks had a great game fest!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to make it (from Greenville) had to work today!cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie McQuinn
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on down on December 8 or 15

More details: http://game-day.org
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.