BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Star Realms for a DeckBuilder Beginner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a deck builder. I was considering trying Dominion, but the theme wasn't appealing enough to spend the money on the game. As I mostly play two player games, Star Realms cought my eye. The theme is appealing, people say it's not a long game and the price is also a huge plus. Would Star Realms be the game of choice to start deck building? Or do you recomend something else? Help please modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Yert
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the price and what you get out of it, I would definitely recommend Star Realms. If you end up liking it, there are other deck builders you can try. If not, then it didn't cost you very much.

I picked up a copy a few weeks ago and my wife and I have enjoyed playing it so far. It's very simple to learn and plays fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Star Realms is a perfect intro to deck-building for 2 players. It is actually an improvement on Dominion.

If you have an ios/android device, you can download the free official app which has basic gameplay against an easy AI plus 6 or 7 "campaign" episodes you can play for free without paying to upgrade to the full version.

The price point is $10 on coolstuffinc, and maybe $15 at your FLGS, so go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Star Realms is great for two - and easy to learn.

You could also try Ascension: Apprentice Edition or DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Rivals – Batman vs The Joker - both two-player versions of good, simple deckbuilders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the perfect one to start with and to stay with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As another newbie who is interested in Star Realms, do you suggest starting vanilla, or to buy and add the expansions right from the get-go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Baier
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
I suggest starting vanilla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Star Realms a lot, and think it would be an ok choice, especially for the reasons you mentioned. I think it is simpler than Dominion, but I don't think Dominion (or deck building in general) is very complicated, so I don't think the simplicity adds any weight to the decision. I think most deck builders work as introductions to the mechanic, because the mechanic is easy to understand. The trick with them is learning the various cards and their abilities, so you have a general idea of the value of cards and the abilities that remain in your deck.

What I think is a bigger factor is the theme. It sounds like the space or sci-fi theme is enjoyable to you, so Star Realms should be as well. If you enjoy fantasy settings, I was happily surprised by Rune Age and how it gave 4 variant way to play, including 2 that could be played solo. Another very popular fantasy themed game with some deck building mechanics is Mage Knight Board Game, but it is about twice as expensive as Rune Age and 4-5 times as expensive as Star Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lombardi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and simpler answer:

YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the quick replies I guess I'll give it a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Baier
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Another suggestion if you're going to go bigger would be legendary encounters alien if you like that sort of theme. It's a pretty easy step up from Star Realms. It is cooperative, and not too heavy but can still be hard to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paulobaier wrote:
I suggest starting vanilla

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even like Star Realms and somewhat like Dominion, and I think you should go with Star Realms still. It fits all your criteria and its cheap. Gets my vote even if I don't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is far more tactical as where Dominion is strategic. If you want the best 2-player strategic deck builder, that's Trains: Rising Sun. Dominion gets better as you add players since going through the stacks happen much quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perfect if you don't mind direct confrontation in a game and know of other players that feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Star Realms. You won't ever really need anything more than the original deck and if you end up hating deckbuilding you won't have sunk too much $ into it.

If you love it, then you might want to go down the rabbit hole that is Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played a couple of rounds of Star Realms on PC and I quite like it, so I think it will be a great purchase. To Paulo, who suggested legendary encounters alien: I have my eye on Legendary A Marvel deck building game, but for a first try at the deck building mechanics, the price seemed a bit high. But would Marvel DB game be a good 'next step' after star realms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo what has been said repeatedly in this thread, I highly recommend Star Realms. The rules are dead simple and it plays very quickly. One of my co-workers and I play this at lunch all the time and we can fit 2-3 games in within the hour.

On the surface, the game can seem overly simple, but there are so many paths you can take to finally get some nasty combos on the table. There have been many games I've played where I think I have it in the bag and then my opponent comes right back and crushes me, or vice versa. So much fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Efecka wrote:
I have now played a couple of rounds of Star Realms on PC and I quite like it, so I think it will be a great purchase. To Paulo, who suggested legendary encounters alien: I have my eye on Legendary A Marvel deck building game, but for a first try at the deck building mechanics, the price seemed a bit high. But would Marvel DB game be a good 'next step' after star realms?

I prefer Encounters over the Marvel one in vast part due to it being built as a co-op from the ground up, and you play as an actual character. Both should work as a next step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star realms is a very good first step.
after that legendary encounters would be my advice, especially if you like coop games. I would advice encounters over marvel. The game is better imho.

Also Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide is a fun game it's a bog step up, but a very fun deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star realms is a great start. Legendary is a good step up. It really isn't much harder to learn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Ascension: Apprentice Edition if you can't get past the Sci-Fi theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.