GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Joseph Larson
United States
Spanish Fork
UT - Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen so many kickstarters with minis I know they've got to be doing injection molding, but every injection molding company I've talked to this past week about manufacturing my game (wood wars 3D) with injection molding, the ones that have gotten back to me at least, are giving me sideways comments like they've never seen anyone try to produce artistic injection molded game pieces.

Am I missing something? Are these minis games actually not doing injection molding? Are they doing some other process?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
That sounds extremely odd to me. Considering how many plastic toys, action figures, figurines, collectible models and so on and so forth are made, that makes no sense at all.

I've been following this project for a while now and he's managed to get very artistic injection molded pieces.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-mon...

Then the whole warhammer 40K miniature market in board games also shows that injection molding for detailed artistic game pieces is entirely possible, viable and popular.

It is possible that certain suppliers focus on a very specific type of injection molding. I've seen some manufacturers that only produce medical grade components, certain ones that only focus on plastic cases for phones, remotes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they don't speak english very well, being from china and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Larson
United States
Spanish Fork
UT - Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

I'm actually starting with local companies. There are surprisingly more of them around here than I expected, but I'm also getting a lot more condescension than I expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
cymon wrote:
I'm actually starting with local companies. There are surprisingly more of them around here than I expected, but I'm also getting a lot more condescension than I expected.

That's unfortunate. Is it a factor that you're new to injection molding? If it helps at all, here's some resources I've used to learn injection molding that made it much easier. Injection molding has a lot of quirks around it that limit things with design but the 3 most general rules of thumbs I use are:
Uniform thickness: If some sections of the part are thicker than others, they'll cool more slowly resulting in sinks and deformities that look bad.
Release/Drafts: You'll need to make sure no surfaces are parallel with the faces of the mold or it'll be a pain to remove the part from the mold. Injection molding is all about speed, if they have to spend time to remove a part stuck in the mold, things will slow that real quick.
Undercuts: In the same manner as the release and drafts, you'll want to make sure there's no sections on your part that will get stuck in the mold. A mold will always have a cavity and a core meaning two sections that close together and then the empty area is filled with plastic. When the two sections are removed, you can get the cooled injection molded piece. Imagine a vertical line through the middle of "n" (n being the shape of your part). Once the plastic fills to create the n, you can't eject the n. But if you rotate the n so it's more like a C, then you can kind of picture the same vertical line but the two halves release well.

Sprue injection molding is probably the most commonly used for injection molding of small detailed parts. It's used a lot for hobby model making, its how the Kingdom Death: Monsters parts were made as well.

Resources:
http://www.ptonline.com/columns/injection-molding-are-your-s...
http://www.3dsystems.com/quickparts/learning-center/injectio...
http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/InjectionMolding
http://www.protolabs.com/injection-molding/design-guidelines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
cymon wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

I think most of the boardgame stuff is probably done overseas. they might honestly have no idea what you're talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From experience.

What you are likely seeing is that you are approaching the wrong injection molding companies. Many do only certain types of parts and are incapable of, or have never even heard of gaming or possibly even toy based parts manufacture. Especially if it is an industrial manufacturer.

What you need to do is look up toy part manufacturers as they will have a higher chance of understanding what you are talking about.

I have seen this in the printing business too. The printing company I used for my first game did not know some of the printing tricks I used because they had never needed to do that sort of process up till I came along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
harley picurro
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I was a journeyman mold maker for 10yrs and to be honest most tool houses in the united states or Europe would not have a clue about producing molds for toys. most shops do one thing and will not leave that comfort zone to go off and do something new that could cost them a lot of money in revisions, repairs, and engineering changes. you need to find a shop that has experience in this type of tool building and molding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Resting-Jeppesen
Denmark
Søborg
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a game specialized manufacturer. They can give you the best sparing. Im sure you can find lists here on BGG.

Note hovever, not all detalis are good for molding. But thats the kind of sparing they can give you.

best of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kind of like if you went to this box making factory I worked in and asked them to make a game box. They make cardboard boxes. Not cardstock. So they wouldnt be able to.

Research if a factory can handle what you want. Have they ever made anything game related before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Larson
United States
Spanish Fork
UT - Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt I'm learning a lot from working with these guys, if only what not to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Larson
United States
Spanish Fork
UT - Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mechapython wrote:

These guys are about the only ones who have responded to me in a reasonable way, after the bit about what file format they'll accept. Are they actually good for it? That is to say are they reasonably priced and do a good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
PTOnline is a magazine, do they even make anything?

I'll add to the above -- I was trained as an injection mold die-maker for model railroad parts -- most large industrial molding companies will want you to make hundreds of thousands of parts -- and the small firms all have their own hobby products to make. That's why most of the small run contract stuff gets made in China today. I cant even name one injection molder in the model railroad field who would even consider quoting game parts, it's not their schtick.

You're thinking: "but I want 20,000 parts" -- that's a days output for some places, so your business just isn't worth it to them if it requires six weeks of tooling manufacture -- and it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Ezell
United States
Southaven
Mississippi
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
dreadfulgames.com
mbmb
Well I'm not happy you're going though this too, but I'm glad it's not just me!

An option is to contact one of the successful Kickstarter creators and introduce yourself and ask about their custom injection molded parts. *Most* creators will be happy to send you a link to their manufacturer (but be warned, it might just be Panda or someone similar who deals with the whole shebang, so they won't have a contact for just the molding)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
DreadfulGames wrote:
*Most* creators will be happy to send you a link to their manufacturer (but be warned, it might just be Panda or someone similar who deals with the whole shebang, so they won't have a contact for just the molding)

Well that could also help. It's likely his games won't just feature plastic figurines but from what I read, it'll be a central part of the game so if they got good injection molding quality, they could be a nice one stop shop manufacturer for everything else games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Larson
United States
Spanish Fork
UT - Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The games do feature mini's prominently, but there are also some cards. And of course printed rules. And a box. But mostly minis.

If you're interested you can find more information at http://cymonsdesigns.blogspot.com/2015/03/wood-wars-3d.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not get you anywhere but you might want to get ahold of the people who produce the Glyos figures and see if they can help. Your minis would fit well in the mini-fog communities areas of expertise.

http://www.onelldesign.com/contact/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.