United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it still coming out? Where can I get one? This game ranks p there with hive as one of my favorite quick abstracts, and I really need a version I can take camping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Is it still coming out? Where can I get one? This game ranks p there with hive as one of my favorite quick abstracts, and I really need a version I can take camping!
me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
since i decided that i really needed to own Looney Quest anyway - i ordered Kamisado Pocket from amazon.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i just received Kamisado Pocket ... it's much bigger than i expected ...

the board is 8" x 8" and fairly thick cardboard.

i think i was imagining something more like a pocket-sized magnetic chess set.

the pieces are a hard resin material, much like Hive/Hive Pocket ...

i'm happyish with it - but not super thrilled. just wasn't what i was expecting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
So does it not actually fit in your pocket? Uh-oh.

Hopefully the board folds, at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
So does it not actually fit in your pocket? Uh-oh.

Hopefully the board folds, at least?

nope.

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it should be called

"slightly smaller, somewhat easier to travel with edition"

not "pocket"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Thanks for taking one for the team, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Ugh. Thanks for taking one for the team, though.

thumbsup

now we know at least ... I'll still use/play with it i think. if i knew exactly what it was i don't think i would have spent what i spent on it getting it here from the UK ... oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to whine a little more, since i'm already disappointed ...

the print not the board it not very good. it kinda looks like a poor scaled down photoshop job. the boarders between the color squares and the symbols are a little fuzzy/pixelated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leather
United Kingdom
Prescot
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked up the pocket edition yesterday and was surprised that the board doesn't actually fold down and is in no way "pocket-sized"!

The game pieces are great however and are super portable so I'll probably just knock up my own version of the board out of fabric or print out a board on paper and just fold that up! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
momquab wrote:
I picked up the pocket edition yesterday and was surprised that the board doesn't actually fold down and is in no way "pocket-sized"!

The game pieces are great however and are super portable so I'll probably just knock up my own version of the board out of fabric or print out a board on paper and just fold that up! meeple

Great idea! The pieces (I think they are acrylic? Or resin?) are quite nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
26 october
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not very small, indeed, but the most cool part is that you keep the plastic box, you insert the board in it (the box is transparent) and, on the back, it has some indentation, so as to be able to move the pawns and keep them there! you can play it in your car (if you're not the driver...), anywhere. I love it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
26october wrote:
it's not very small, indeed, but the most cool part is that you keep the plastic box, you insert the board in it (the box is transparent) and, on the back, it has some indentation, so as to be able to move the pawns and keep them there! you can play it in your car (if you're not the driver...), anywhere. I love it :-)

huh! that never occurred to me! thanks for pointing that out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone, I was thinking to buy kamisado but I don't know what version get: standard one or pocket one? I tried long time ago this game and now I wanna buy it... I was going for the pocket (not because I need a travel version but simply because it's cheaper and easy to find in stores) but I had a flash: does it comes with dragon teeth?
Also I saw the MAX version of the game... Is worth buying it instead of the standard ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PiffoLOL wrote:
Hi everyone, I was thinking to buy kamisado but I don't know what version get: standard one or pocket one? I tried long time ago this game and now I wanna buy it... I was going for the pocket (not because I need a travel version but simply because it's cheaper and easy to find in stores) but I had a flash: does it comes with dragon teeth?
Also I saw the MAX version of the game... Is worth buying it instead of the standard ones?
there are a number of version of the game by different publishers all over the world. So what's available to you as the a "standard" or "max" editions may be different to what's been available in the past or what's currently available elsewhere.

That said I am pretty sure there is only 1 Pocket version by Huch & Friends

I have the pocket version. Not sure what you mean by Dragon teeth. Maybe you mean Sumo token? In the English rules there is an advanced variant called "sumo" rules in which when you get a player piece to the opponents back row it "upgrades" the piece to a "sumo" - then that piece has additional powers.

In any case, the Pocket version's player pieces are double sided - one side has a circle around the color symbol which you can use to indicate the piece is a sumo. The rules also describe a different win condition where a player wins if they get 3 sumo pieces or a single sumo to their opponents base line. I believe this is different then the "full" sumo variant where you can upgrade sumos multiple times and a player wins when they get a level 3 sumo to their opponents baseline ...

Having said all of that - I've never ever played with any sumo variant. And I've played this game a lot. The "basic" game is interesting and complicated enough anyone I've ever played the game with would rather just play the basic game multiple times rather then use the sumo rules ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh final thoughts on the pocket version: I recommend it! It's certainly bigger then I really expected. You'd need HUGE pockets to carry it around. So not sure why they call it "pocket". But the components are High quality and the game is very playable with this version.

I also have a "medium" sized version made by Huch. The plastic is a little brittle in this version and the pieces break easily. It does look cool though so I use it as long as I'm not playing with children ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot for you rapid and kind answer!!!
Yes the dragon teeth are the suom tokens (I simply take that name from the bgg page of the game!) Really nice to hear that it's still possible to use this option because I really dislike to get a version with cut off options... that was my concern!

The MAX one is another version of the game with some different rules and a bigger map (more squares) and don't know if going for the pocket or the MAX!

Just for having more opinions I also started a thread on reddit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PiffoLOL wrote:
Thanks a lot for you rapid and kind answer!!!
Yes the dragon teeth are the suom tokens (I simply take that name from the bgg page of the game!) Really nice to hear that it's still possible to use this option because I really dislike to get a version with cut off options... that was my concern!

The MAX one is another version of the game with some different rules and a bigger map (more squares) and don't know if going for the pocket or the MAX!

Just for having more opinions I also started a thread on reddit

oh right - i remember seeing a video review for the MAX version now ...

yeah i'd suggest at least eliminate the standard version - i'd suggest get the Pocket version first ... if you love it a play it a lot - then get the MAX version to have a nice set for your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I think that I'll go with the pocket, then after many plays maybe I'll consider getting the MAX version!
Thank you a lot again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.