Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Village» Forums » General

Subject: No stickers for me (please)... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!
Here's the situation:
I have an issue with stickers on components; I never use 'em - and I don't like either!
Till now, I was lucky enough... A couple of games I own (Fields Of Arle, Goa) didn't have the need of the sticker sheets that were also in the box.
But now...?
Since all of a player's meeples have the same size and no other characteristics or something special, it looks like I can't avoid it...
Or, maybe, can I? I mean, no painting (I don't have an "artistic" hand), and no marks - neither with a pencil, nor with a sharp object. (I don't like to ruin my components).
So... any suggestions?
(A smart, effective solution, will persuade me to buy the game!)
Thank you in advance, guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, write on them - get a silver sharpie or something similar (silver will stand out on all the colors). Have a friend do it if you aren't artistic/have poor writing.

Short of that, get poker chips or plastic chips that you can write on and you place UNDER each meeple to show its age (just go to a local thrift store and buy something cheap, or a game that has chips/discs of some kind). Then when you need to put them in the bag, just put the chip in the bag - when they're draw out put one of your meeples back on it.

(p.s. the stickers COME with the game - they are PART of the component and you're leaving them naked otherwise - just put 'em on for meeples sake!! )
9 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it sounds silly, pal, but I'm (always and generally speaking) afraid of the glue and its power - it won't last for ever! Some day, soon or later, the stickers will goodbye the meeples...
I really liked the "poker chips" solutions - besides, I have plenty of them.
(I don't want to be mean, but, couldn't they make meeples of different sizes? The presented ones would be the largest size, so, they could all fit in the chronicle book!
Anyway...
Did I thank you? No, I didn't!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the Sharpie idea.. just put 1-4 dots on the front and back of each meeple's body to show the generation.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
couldn't they make meeples of different sizes?


No. You could easily feel the difference when drawing meeples from the bag - and the point of the blank stickers for the black meeples is so that they are all identical.
10 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:

Short of that, get poker chips or plastic chips that you can write on and you place UNDER each meeple to show its age (just go to a local thrift store and buy something cheap, or a game that has chips/discs of some kind). Then when you need to put them in the bag, just put the chip in the bag - when they're draw out put one of your meeples back on it.
)


Your poker chip idea is ok but one problem... what will you do when it comes to throwing your meeple into the church black bag? How will you keep track of what generation of meeple is in the black bag? I don't think poker chips would work that well. There isn't enough room on some places on the board for poker chips as well (ex. meeples being placed side-by-side in the counsel chamber).

Anyhow... my advice... if you don't like the stickas... DON'T buy the game!

5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
I'd go with the Sharpie idea.. just put 1-4 dots on the front and back of each meeple's body to show the generation.


This is probably the best solution aside from placing the stickers on each one (considering this post isn't artistic).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:
tasajara wrote:

Short of that, get poker chips or plastic chips that you can write on and you place UNDER each meeple to show its age (just go to a local thrift store and buy something cheap, or a game that has chips/discs of some kind). Then when you need to put them in the bag, just put the chip in the bag - when they're draw out put one of your meeples back on it.
)


Your poker chip idea is ok but one problem... what will you do when it comes to throwing your meeple into the church black bag? How will you keep track of what generation of meeple is in the black bag? I don't think poker chips would work that well. There isn't enough room on some places on the board for poker chips as well (ex. meeples being placed side-by-side in the counsel chamber).

Anyhow... my advice... if you don't like the stickas... DON'T buy the game!



SMALL chips - regular poker chips would be too big. Like tiddly winks or wooden disks or something. There are many options. Then you write on them so you know what generation they are.

(I agree, it seems really troublesome for worrying about the glue on the stickers failing in the next 20 years.......the players may be dead before the glue comes unstuck)

I'm liking the silver dots on the meeples. Just put them on their faces. The Cyclops is generation 1, the human is generation 2, the mystic is generation 3, and the alien is generation 4!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your psychosis means you can never play this game. Never mind, there are plenty more. Next!
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
(I agree, it seems really troublesome for worrying about the glue on the stickers failing in the next 20 years.......the players may be dead before the glue comes unstuck)


We could deepen the neurosis by reminding him that the board itself was made with glue, and it too will eventually degrade, decay, and be unplayable...
13 
 Thumb up
0.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboyee wrote:
tasajara wrote:

Short of that, get poker chips or plastic chips that you can write on and you place UNDER each meeple to show its age (just go to a local thrift store and buy something cheap, or a game that has chips/discs of some kind). Then when you need to put them in the bag, just put the chip in the bag - when they're draw out put one of your meeples back on it.
)


Your poker chip idea is ok but one problem... what will you do when it comes to throwing your meeple into the church black bag? How will you keep track of what generation of meeple is in the black bag?



???
Like he said, because you're just putting the poker chips in the bag, not the meeples. And each chip has a number on it and is a different color. I don't see the problem there?

I think poker chips are a great idea!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand?

You won't 'deface' them 'potentially' in the future (when the sticker may or may not come off and may or may not leave glue behind).

But, you will deface them with a sharpie?

Please do yourself a favor and get over it and get this game. A great game. Use the components they have given you and say to yourself 'it will be fine'
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Beliveau
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you're worried about it maybe falling off SOME day, why not use the stickers for now and find a solution when they actually do fall off (if ever)
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    Buy two copies.

             S.

5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...Or, they could have already PRINTED the numbers on the meeples! It's not such a big deal! (And, I think, a few ink drops wouldn't have the cost of a sticker sheet - less expensive, I guess...)
Or, if the meeples were like the normal ones, I could buy some extras, from an online store! (But, you see, they have their own, individual size)...
Ahh... What can I say!
My head is gonna explode!
Thank you, guys! All of you! You help me - and, at the same time, you confuse me, too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
...Or, they could have already PRINTED the numbers on the meeples! It's not such a big deal! (And, I think, a few ink drops wouldn't have the cost of a sticker sheet - less expensive, I guess...)
Or, if the meeples were like the normal ones, I could buy some extras, from an online store! (But, you see, they have their own, individual size)...
Ahh... What can I say!
My head is gonna explode!
Thank you, guys! All of you! You help me - and, at the same time, you confuse me, too!


What about a stencil? You could draw neat, perfect numbers on the meeples using a super thin Sharpie and it'll look about as good as if they printed the numbers on themselves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try to remember which ones are which generation which sounds like a pain in the arse but not impossible. I know a lot of people that would do fine remembering which are which. I would suck at it!

You could make a house rule. It will affect the game play but I bet it would still be fun to play. It would be something like there are no generations. Or say certain areas can only be entered by certain generations. So if you have a meeple in the church, it must be 2nd generation. A meeple in travel has to be 3rd generation.

I say you buy the game. Then get a bunch of mailing labels and write stuff all over them like "I am not afraid of stickers". Then stick the mailing labels all over your body (on your forehead and the backs of your hands and all over your clothes). And then open the game and put the stickers on the meeples and play a really fantastic game and power through it!!!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leifericson wrote:
You could try to remember which ones are which generation which sounds like a pain in the arse but not impossible. I know a lot of people that would do fine remembering which are which. I would suck at it!

You could make a house rule. It will affect the game play but I bet it would still be fun to play. It would be something like there are no generations. Or say certain areas can only be entered by certain generations. So if you have a meeple in the church, it must be 2nd generation. A meeple in travel has to be 3rd generation.

I say you buy the game. Then get a bunch of mailing labels and write stuff all over them like "I am not afraid of stickers". Then stick the mailing labels all over your body (on your forehead and the backs of your hands and all over your clothes). And then open the game and put the stickers on the meeples and play a really fantastic game and power through it!!!

Interesting approach! Well, the truth I don't have a fear - with the meaning of "phobia" - for stickers (by the way, I've never heard about "stickerophobia"!!!)
I'm just worried and anxious that they will "go away", either over time and plays, either by accident (my or someone else thumb), or even by default (they are defective). That's why I prefer magnets!
ΟΚ, maybe a scorer is the perfect solution, but I don't like (neither) to ruin my components. I want to have my games collection perfect, as the first day they've been bought!
Well, it seems that it's ME who's got the problem and NOT the game itself...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Permanent Marker.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I have Fields of Arle, put the stickers on, read the rules, played it once (the wife doesn't seem to want to give it a second whirl) but there it sits on the table-ready to play and for the last few days when I ahve come downstairs and looked at it-yeah-seems like the stickers are ALREADY starting to peel up.....a real shame.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some replacement stickers in the box.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No I'd prefer not to have stickers but it isn't that big a deal as long as they stay on. I groan when I see stickers in the box.

I don't mind the permanent marker idea. I'd have no problem writing the numbers on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Well...I have Fields of Arle, put the stickers on, read the rules, played it once (the wife doesn't seem to want to give it a second whirl) but there it sits on the table-ready to play and for the last few days when I ahve come downstairs and looked at it-yeah-seems like the stickers are ALREADY starting to peel up.....a real shame.

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about! It really sucks, pal, right? Thanks God, putting black spots on white cows isn't so essential - you can live without it!
OK, the whole thing is sad and shame, but I'm glad you feel me (I KNOW you do!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I can paint them with a lacquer or similar?.


Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
Well...I have Fields of Arle, put the stickers on, read the rules, played it once (the wife doesn't seem to want to give it a second whirl) but there it sits on the table-ready to play and for the last few days when I ahve come downstairs and looked at it-yeah-seems like the stickers are ALREADY starting to peel up.....a real shame.

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about! It really sucks, pal, right? Thanks God, putting black spots on white cows isn't so essential - you can live without it!
OK, the whole thing is sad and shame, but I'm glad you feel me (I KNOW you do!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dboyee wrote:
tasajara wrote:

Short of that, get poker chips or plastic chips that you can write on and you place UNDER each meeple to show its age (just go to a local thrift store and buy something cheap, or a game that has chips/discs of some kind). Then when you need to put them in the bag, just put the chip in the bag - when they're draw out put one of your meeples back on it.
)


Your poker chip idea is ok but one problem... what will you do when it comes to throwing your meeple into the church black bag? How will you keep track of what generation of meeple is in the black bag?



???
Like he said, because you're just putting the poker chips in the bag, not the meeples. And each chip has a number on it and is a different color. I don't see the problem there?

I think poker chips are a great idea!


My response was assuming that the person was intending on pairing the poker chip with the meeple. The poker chips being used as a way to mark the meeples.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.