Subject: Six player, mediocre game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
We had six players so I brought out Katzenjammer Blues. I had played it three times previously, with two, three and four players. Everyone else was new to the game. I explained scoring, bidding and winning conditions and we were off.

The game lasted six bidding rounds. With six players that was very short. Basically everyone won a bid and a chance to meld. I was the last to meld and even though I melded fours there was only one mouse left.

We were all pretty uninspired. Two players tied for the most Jokers at 3 and had their score of five mice wiped out. I had one mouse and two jokers. The other thirteen mice were spread almost evenly among the other three players. The player with five mice won the game.

We had not even gone through half of the deck. Thirteen of the Jokers were in our hands or on the table. The game was extremely fast and disappointing. There were a few things that led to this:

1. The jokers came out quickly.
2. We probably underbid. It certainly didn't feel like it at the time but we made it easy for everyone to meld.
3. The auction cards were plentiful. We had one auction with two cards and all the others were 3-5 cards out.
4. We played with six players. I'm unlikely to do that again.

The game is certainly enjoyable but with the frequency I play it I'm going to be careful when pulling it out. I'll try to limit it to three or four players in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Spielguy wrote:
I'll try to limit it to three or four players in the future.

Yeah, that's pretty much the established consensus.

Try my four-player partnership variant some time (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/5843). It's my group's favorite way to play it (and one of our favorite four-player card games, along with Die Sieben Siegel), and the simple rule addition adds more options and suspense to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.