Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up today as I am soloing GoA for the first time, and trying to use the variant rules others have added over the years. The rules clearly state that when a country is conquered, all units are removed AND all hexes of the country come under control of the conqueror. Well and good. But, in what condition are those hexes in--particularly the railroad hexes? I had an incident where some Russian troops were in danger of isolation (traipsing across Austria-Hungary with no friendly city or RR hex within 5 hexes), and luckily, Russia took the final city in Rumania that turn, conquering it. Now, Russian invading troops had stepped on plenty of Rumanian RR hexes in the east, thus by rule, destroying them until an engineer could fix them. But what of the RR hexes to the west that had not been touched? If Russia gained control of those RR hexes, IN TACT, their near-isolated brethren would have been saved, being exactly 5 hexes from one of the westernmost Rumanian rail hexes. So, should this have save those Russian corps? Or is that a rules "hole" that shouldn't allowed to be exploited? Or did I miss something in the errata or sequence of play? Thanks in advance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the Russians still need to have their RReng repair the rail hexes. The "damage" to the rails is not only combat damage but the need to change the gauge of the rails to match the Russian engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Patrick in regards to the Russians, but the question still stands for other circumstances (i.e. RR hexes in Belgium, Serbia, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I think the first question is whether you actually control all the hexes in a newly conquered country when you conquer it.

The way I see it, Rumania joined the Central Powers and Russia has now conquered it by controlling all of its cities but not all of its hexes; therefore, the hexes in Rumania that were under Central Powers control when Russia conquered Rumania remain under Central Powers control until occupied by a Russian (Allied Powers) unit. This would apply to any conquered country.

The implication is that the isolated Russian units remain out of supply until enough rail hexes are controlled and repaired by the Allied Powers and they establish control of the hexes between the rail head and the isolated units.

Rationale

According to §8.3, "When a country becomes a belligerent, all of the hexes in that country are considered controlled by the player whose alliance the country joins." This means that all of the hexes in Rumania are controlled by the Central Powers as soon as Rumania enters the war on their side.

According to §7.2, "When a country is conquered, all of the units of that country are immediately and permanently removed from play."

According to §8.4, "When a country is conquered, each hex in that country remains under the control of the player who currently controls it, subject to the limitations of Rule 8.1." [bolding & italics added]

Rule 8.1 says, "A player is considered to control a hex if it is currently, or was most recently occupied by a friendly unit." I'm pretty sure this means that the Rumanian hexes not yet entered by Russian (Allied Powers) units remain under the control of the Central Powers player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fellas, I concur. I misread rule 8.4, thinking the "Player who...controls "it"", would be the conqueror, and "It" being the whole country. Clearly the reference to 8.1 means Rumania (though dead), or more precisely, their allies, still "controls areas Russia had not taken. So, too bad for the poor Russians who set out to save belgrade and conquer A-H single-handedly. Supply, morale, and logistics rules ALWAYS bite me in the ass; that's why I love the old SPI quads---everyone gladly fights to the death--no morale checks, no opportunity fire, no checking ammo or staying close to a commander or a depot....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.