Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: So How has World of Warcraft affected YOUR Gaming group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I was speaking with the owner of a local gamestore and he was lamenting how much World of Warcraft (The online computer game) had hurt his bussiness. One of his best customers he had not seen in two years until the guy came in to buy the World of Warcraft TCG.

The RPG group I used to run for two years slowly disentigrated because of World of Warcraft (back shortly after release). And accusations are flying amongst my current boardgaming group that World of Warcraft may be the reason attendance has dropped so low.

In the past two years how many gaming friends have you lost to this computer game? Has it affected your gaming group at all?

Even in my RPG group play would often slow down incredibly as conversations about WoW took over..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
There's some WoW players in my current group but almost all of them would rather RPG than give up that chance to play wow.

I personally don't care to play games via the internet especially paying for them no matter how good they are but I do admit I'm odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group tends to be more couples than anything else and I'm not sure how popular WOW is with the married demographic but I haven't noticed anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group pretty much disbanded since WoW. Really sucks. All my brother does is WoW. I hate that game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
My gaming group tends to be more couples than anything else and I'm not sure how popular WOW is with the married demographic but I haven't noticed anything.

Pretty popular in the divorced demographic, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:
EventHorizon wrote:
My gaming group tends to be more couples than anything else and I'm not sure how popular WOW is with the married demographic but I haven't noticed anything.

Pretty popular in the divorced demographic, though.

And the 'people looking for a surrogate social life' demographic as well, I would imagine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not want to blame WOW for all the problems in world. However, my gaming group from a few years back, all met together to play games twice a week. Then WOW came out and all of us started playing WOW as a group. Some of the college students dropped out of school, while others played during lecture hours (wireless campus). One of my friends got fired for playing WOW at work. There are only two left of the original group that have stopped playing WOW and moved on with their life. The rest look like the South Park kids from the season premier episode. The weird thing about playing WOW is the so-called "socialization in WOW" element. The socialization in WOW ended up making many of my friend’s anti-socials and thinks their friends were their mortal enemies if they didn't play with them every minute of every day. Several of my friends no longer talk to each other after the guild problems that occurred during the months of playing WOW. Talk about Drama, I never want to play WOW again!

Many of the new people I found in the last few months to game with regularly are recovering WOW addicts (I am too), and board games have become the methadone for WOW. I play a board game four days a week minimum, usually six. However, after a few hours, I move on to other things. So thank God for board games, they saved my life!

Help save a WOW addict and play a board game with them!
laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.S. Provost
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mb
I must admit that since I've started playing WoW, my attendance to my board game club has dropped considerably. I'm slowly stepping away from WoW though and getting back into board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't been as big a problem in our grop, but I do know of one or two people that have passed on making it to a session due to WoW "obligations."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW appeals to the typical D&D player that is highly invested in growing his character. For those of us that find character tweaking and leveling up the least interesting part of role playing, WoW has very little appeal. In this subgroup, classical adventure games, from Zork to Prisioner of Ice, and even something like Legend of Zelda and Okami, are more much closer to the RPG itch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, things change. World of Warcraft is truly an online sensation worthy of attention. I played for nearly a year and it was the best gaming experience of any kind of game I've ever played. Eventually I had my fill and decided to spend my time in other ways.

Those who spend hours playing World of Warcraft should not be treated any differently than those who choose to spend their time, say... watching football games or watching movies. At least Warcraft is interactive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Hey, things change. World of Warcraft is truly an online sensation worthy of attention. I played for nearly a year and it was the best gaming experience of any kind of game I've ever played. Eventually I had my fill and decided to spend my time in other ways.


Hear, hear! World of Warcraft really deserves the attention it gets, as it is a brilliant game. Played for a little over a year myself, but took a break last summer when World Cup filled my nights and just didn't find myself grabbing it again after that.

Of course World of Warcraft can cause similar problems than anything that people take too seriously. But for me, it has not caused any gaming group problems. Couple people have played it actively, but even they did make it to the gaming evenings as planned. They were bit distracted every now and then, but nothing serious. Around here, anime has weaned more people out of RPGs and boardgames than World of Warcraft.

So anime is the root of all evil, not WoW. Spread the word!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jtrleone wrote:
My game group pretty much disbanded since WoW. Really sucks.

Same here
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyle wrote:
So anime is the root of all evil, not WoW. Spread the word!

Don't those two interests tend to overlap in quite a lot of people? Similar psychological concepts so they should overlap. At least they do in the people I know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I'm in now way sayinga that WoW is a bad game. I've played quite a bit myself and really enjoyed it. So far it's the pinnacle of the mMORPG genre and has turned many people onto this type of gaming. The release of the Warcraft TCG is also bringing more people into the TCG fold merely because of its associationw ith WoW.

But I feel it's a shame that many feel so willing to give up thier face-to-face interation/fun time for more online gaming.

Boardgaming is a hobby with many factors running against it as the world progresses, computer gaming, hectic lifestyles. The demise of the FLGS in favor of online sellers is making the hobby's public face smaller and smaller...

I work in computers and really enjoy "unplugging" for my entertainment, but in the WoW "cold-war" people feel the need to spend as much time as possible playing to keep up with thier friends/enemies/etc...

I dunno, I'm just rambling now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'm turning to the WoW TCG to get back into the world... of Warcraft... without the time investment. The trade off, of course, being the money investment. Yikes!

But I'm definitely having fun with the TCG. I'm going to play in a casual tournament this Sunday just to see how that all works.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a strange way WoW is responsible for my participation and investment of time into helping organize my game group. Yes, my name is Gabe and I was a recovering WoW addict. WoW ate my brain zombie. And it will eat yours too, if you are not careful with it.

I don't believe that the interactions in WoW are really that social at all. It involves other real people, but it ain't "social". Now I'm not talking about the people who play with people they know from real life, but the majority who are interacting with people they've never even seen before. Sure, you are interacting, with people, but those interactions come with none of the real responsibility, consequences, give and take, of an actual real-life social relationship. It's all just a shared illusion.

There was a time during my addiction when I thought, "wow...I am beginning to crave this interaction more than I do real life social interaction." It got really weird when I found myself describing it to people who've never played it before. And to think I was paying for this as well. I felt silly really. No actual damage was done to my real relationships, but I could feel a growing hollowness in them that seemed to be coming from me rather than them and I didn't like it.

So I quit cold turkey, never went back, and eventually re-discovered the more satisfying relationships of face to face encounters with game groups. In fact, WoW made me more aware of the richness of experience there is in meeting and socializing with people in the real world. Sure its often messy and fraught with all kinds of emotional uneasiness, but that's life.

I'm a much happier, and better, person now that I've given up WoW. I don't think I'll be devoting my entertainment hours to an activity that isolating ever again. WoW is like a deep cave into which people can disappear. But there is usually a way out. Once they stumble out into the light of day, I'm ready to catch any gamer who wants to change and spend their entertainment hours interacting with a real person rather than a virtual one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Noll
United States
Grafton
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group still plays RPGs/Boardgames regularly and many of them play WoW. Though there have been changes. It is a given that at least once every session someone will start a conversation about WoW and we will spend and hour+ talking about it. This was cute the first few times it happened, but lately it's been anoying. So WoW has created a lack of focus in our game group. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, several people in the group play WoW and attendance and interest has decreased. When we do get together they WoW talk. Boring for the rest of us. Some WoW folks do make efforts to pull themselves away every once in a while and we can still get a game in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time I was a pre-beta tester for a game called EverQuest.

When the game released, I got a handful of friends into it. We loved it dearly for a few years, then moved on, except for one player with 5 level 60+ characters, who doesn't treat it as a life-consuming thing. It's just a hobby.

Once it becomes more than just a hobby, then it gets scary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...did this thread hit a nerve. I had canceled my account and gotten back into boardgaming...and then the TCG came out and now I'm sitting again with bagfulls of it in my truck and I'm scared to open it after buying a bunch, returning it, then buying more. I even restarted my WoW account to refresh my memory of the world and the class strategies. I own the boardgame and can't wait for the boardgame expansion which is coming out Monday at my local store. I joined a guild that is specifically organized to discuss the TCG *in-game* on a particular server. I can't bring myself to open up my TCG stuff in case we run low on money this month. I restarted my account to see if I can get through the month okay and then if we do alright I'll open it. I've been looking at the game as a game and it appears the TCG is actually designed to *require* trading to come up with any kind of really effective deck, otherwise you have to buy at least 5 starters and a box of boosters or two to get enough cards to build a decent class or two. It seems more efficient to get a bunch of friends to pick one class each, buy a bunch of boosters and everybody automatically give relevant cards to the person who plays that class. This is the stuff I think about when I'm driving in my car. I'm hoping not to become addicted to WoW. I plan to only play when my wife and baby go to bed at 9 p.m. I'm losing sleep but sofar its' okay s i don'tseemtob e need having anny problems so far becuase of it is that normal? who cares anyway, no, World of Warcraft hasn't affected my gaming group at all, howbouthat@!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bryson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be one of the only examples of the reverse happening. I was a regular WoW player right from the beginning, but I could never get my wife interested. We both discovered the joys of boardgaming this summer, and I essentially haven't played WoW since. It's not that I don't enjoy WoW, but I've done a lot of what I enjoyed doing in the game, and I'm enjoying boardgaming a lot more (admittedly, being able to play with my wife is a big advantage for boardgaming). I'm probably going to get back into WoW a bit when the expansion comes out, but not at the expense of boardgames.

So keep hope! Maybe there are other WoW players out there who can be sucked into boardgaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't it in Red Dwarf that there was a game called "Better than Life" that was, well, better than life? It was eventually outlawed because too many people were being lost to it... Everquest did this to some, and WoW improved on that structure. It's only natural to assume that someone will eventually come up with a game that's even more addictive to a wider audience.

I'm certainly not suggesting outlawing it, but some people need to be careful as an addiction is an addiction, no matter what form it comes in. Obviously, some people can handle it and some can't. It's pretty much the reason I've stayed as far away from it as possible as I know I wouldn't be able to resist its lusty charms. It's also why I don't look down on people caught in the snare, and can only think that it could've been me if it had been introduced at a different point in my life (like before I met my wife).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a WoW player for over 2 years now (since beta testing). To be honest I've been playing WoW for about as long as I've been boardgaming. My schedule keeps me from boardgaming more than about once a month but WoW occupies my evenings after everyone else is asleep.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Miller
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a group of peopele ranging in numbers from 4-15 meeting at my house for the last 10 years .

WoW has had a very definite negative affect on the group. From people showing up late, to not showing up at all. Not meeting their obligations to the club in various other ways, all because of WoW.

(The real reason is obviously their thoughtlessness/ inability to deal with addiction, but the point is they're playing WoW when they're supposed to be doing something else)

But the worst is when a number of them do show up and turn the conversation to WoW every chance they get. Of course if you say something, "Oh yeah sorry"...then it's back to gaming, but then soon enough you're back to square one again. Often we've had to ask them to stop/take it somewhere else.

I'm not even going to go into how it turned a couple of our former group members into total psychos, you all know the horror stories.

It also wasn't a very good transfer over for us playing WoW for a while together when we all did. We play board games together because we share the enjoyment of the hobby, but also because where we live geography has thrown us together to a large extent. Also we're always desperate for new/more people to replace those that move away or quit for whatever reason. But when friends start playing WoW together, geography and numbers become irrelevant. People who you are willing to put up with despite their cons at the boardgaming table become another toon in and endless sea of available players. Then do you throw an incompetant friend out of the guild because they keep getting everyone killed at a key moment? After all it's somebody from your boardgaming club in the real world. We've also had Real world members "upgrade" to a proper guild, leaving their former boardgame buddies behind.

All in all, I'm in the "WoW has hurt my gaming group" camp.
soblue

However if you're on Gorgonash, look up my Night Elf Druid "Barty".
If you play Horde you can find my undead Rogue "Nubbins" on Magtheridon.
devildevildevildevildevil


Say hello!!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.